lactated ringers for a quick lunch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

durty

Lif is too short
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it seems a little far fetched, but I'd like to just see what y'all have to say.

On scrubs they didn't have time to eat so they gave themselves a lactated ringer on break for sustinence, is this at all possible?

I know its possible, like that's what patients get if they cant eat, but is it possible like are they expensive/you'll get fired for using them on yourself not your patients? they don't actually fill you up? idk, anything informative would be nice.

-durty

(PS. yes I am premed so I don't really know how hosipitals run that's why I'm asking, please be kind. and explain answers since I really don't know much at all, a simple no will not be helpful, thank you.)

(PPS. I didn't know where to put this thread so since they are internal docs on scrubs that's where I chose to put my thread, mods feel free to redirect)

Members don't see this ad.

I know it seems a little far fetched, but I'd like to just see what y'all have to say.

On scrubs they didn't have time to eat so they gave themselves a lactated ringer on break for sustinence, is this at all possible?

I know its possible, like that's what patients get if they cant eat, but is it possible like are they expensive/you'll get fired for using them on yourself not your patients? they don't actually fill you up? idk, anything informative would be nice.

-durty

(PS. yes I am premed so I don't really know how hosipitals run that's why I'm asking, please be kind. and explain answers since I really don't know much at all, a simple no will not be helpful, thank you.)

(PPS. I didn't know where to put this thread so since they are internal docs on scrubs that's where I chose to put my thread, mods feel free to redirect)

Wikipedia lactated ringers and calculate the calories found in 1 Liter of solution.

Then look up TPN and see if you want some of that instead.

wikipedia said it's administered over hours so TPN doesn't look feasible for a quick lunch.
-durty

Members don't see this ad :)
Lactated Ringers does contain lactate which can be utilized by the body for calories, but 1 liter only amounts to about, what 9 calories? You could get more calories from a Dextrose 5% solution, but that's not going to cut it for long and who'd want to put an IV in themselves for some substance?

I'd rather steal a patients pudding......:hungover:

just wondering, i didnt know LR wasn't for substance. the TPN seems like taking a pill w/all the nutrition you need and that seems kinda cool. I was just wondering if it was feasible
-durty

LR is a resuscitation fluid - that is, it is isotonic to plasma (approximately) and restores normal fluid balance to patients that are depleted for some reason (generally trauma or surgery - surgeons are more apt to use LR than internists). It is not a meal replacement and on its own has fewer calories than an apple. Add some D5 (5% dextrose) to it and it could ward off starvation ketosis for maybe a day or two.

So no, it's not feasible. Residents frequently don't have time to eat, so we either a) just don't eat, or b) carry a granola bar or Snickers in our pocket.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different episode, but the only time I've seen the Scrubs characters give themselves IV fluids was in the setting of them being "hung over." Since alcohol is an inhibitor of anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) and thus induces diuresis and dehydration, the provision of IV fluids can be a good cure for a hangover. In other words, in this episode they weren't getting the fluids as nutrition, but rather as treatment for their headaches and dry mouth. I remember it being Turk, Elliot and JD sitting on the bench outside the hospital, and then JD ran away from something and got caught up in the IV line, causing him to fall.

Was this the episode you're referring to, or did they do this on another episode too??

no that's the episode, I guess it was for fluid replacement.

in my research job we give our rabbits recovering from surgery lactated ringers solution sub cu and I was told it was for nutrition until they recover enough to eat; I suppose it's just to provide fluid until they recover enough to drink?

-durty

no that's the episode, I guess it was for fluid replacement.

in my research job we give our rabbits recovering from surgery lactated ringers solution sub cu and I was told it was for nutrition until they recover enough to eat; I suppose it's just to provide fluid until they recover enough to drink?

-durty

yep- animals/humans can go at least a few days without eating without too much trouble. fluids are more important however.

I am impressed....no wonder every one of you aspire to do FM!!!!:laugh:

I am impressed....no wonder every one of you aspire to do FM!!!!:laugh:

thanks for your input, but IQ doesn't really have anything to do with being underinformed about a topic (especially a medical one). I was just asking a question as an undergraduate student.
I'm glad you never were a student :rolleyes:
-durty