Competitive for academic IM with minimal research?

Started by Mike97
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mike97

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning to apply IM for the 2026-2027 match and trying to decide which programs I would be competitive for. I'm most interested in "mid-tier" academic programs (doximity rank 30 - 60). Would these be reasonable, and would top-tier programs be worth trying for? My biggest concern is lack of research. I was planning to apply EM until recently, so have not prioritized it. Now switching to IM, I'm worried it may look inconsistent and rushed. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Application
Step 1: First-time pass
Step 2: 266
Clerkships: 2/7 Honors (IM included), 4/6 High Pass, 1/7 Pass
Strong LOR's
Consistent volunteer/community service
Research: 1 poster presentation from undergrad; no current presentations or publications during med school (have 1 case presentation and 2 projects that I'm currently working on... hopefully can get more but timing may be difficult with applications starting later this year)
 
I'm planning to apply IM for the 2026-2027 match and trying to decide which programs I would be competitive for. I'm most interested in "mid-tier" academic programs (doximity rank 30 - 60). Would these be reasonable, and would top-tier programs be worth trying for? My biggest concern is lack of research. I was planning to apply EM until recently, so have not prioritized it. Now switching to IM, I'm worried it may look inconsistent and rushed. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Application
Step 1: First-time pass
Step 2: 266
Clerkships: 2/7 Honors (IM included), 4/6 High Pass, 1/7 Pass
Strong LOR's
Consistent volunteer/community service
Research: 1 poster presentation from undergrad; no current presentations or publications during med school (have 1 case presentation and 2 projects that I'm currently working on... hopefully can get more but timing may be difficult with applications starting later this year)

Cmon, you're fine. Just apply. [Don't be that annoying guy who complains about sucking at golf, meanwhile you're shooting in the 70s with a single-digit handicap.]
 
Unless something has changed massively about this process since I went through it about 10 years ago, you should be more than OK.