Ladies- makeup for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of makeup do you all wear for interviews? Also, do you have your finger nails painted at all??

Members don't see this ad.

mascara, 2 tones of eye shadow that is pretty natural, but still something in the crease. Nothing too flashy.

And a nice lipstick that also isn't too flashy.

Make up is fine as long as it's not overdone.

In other words, some cover-up, blush, lip-gloss, mascara and eye-liner in a discrete manner are okay.

As for the finger nails, I would say manicured nails (as in french manicure, just clear/white) are fine. Also, just nail gloss is okay. By personal choice, I would stay away from bright colors, so as not distract the attention of the interviewer from your face to your hands, but some others might disagree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makeup: YES! It is professional to do so, if you are comfortable wearing makeup. I redden very easily so I wear natural foundation and pressed powder, LIGHT mascara, natural shadow, and natural, matte lipstick. I can't emphasize enough for ladies to look natural--now's not the time for bright red lips, smoky eyes, fakey gloss etc.

Yes, I would get a manicure with clear or very light polish--again, not the time for huge fake nails or terribly flashy colors.

Just my humble opinion.

Worked great for me:thumbup:

heh, beat me to it.

Haha ... I would say that just as long as your cuticles aren't gross and your nails are a normal length then you're all set. Stay away from brightly colored nail polish, go with light pink/natural colors. AND one interviewer I once had commented on another girl he had interviewed earlier and that her hands were rough and dry when he shook them. Don't ask me why he felt the need to bring that up, but I'm just thankful I brought some hand lotion!

Also, for makeup, I would just agree with the others in saying light makeup can make a difference in making you look more awake and presentable. But by no means cake it on. Eyeliner and mascara should be natural. Blush should be extreeemely limited. And I just went with a nude lipstick and lip balm. I've just seen too many other girls with crazy colors going on...

I personally am staying far away from eye liner and shadow. I plan on wearing one coat of mascara, a clear lip gloss (but not ultra glossy), and a tiny amount of cream blush because I am ghost white. I also have to go get a manicure because I bite my nails lol. This is a bad habit I almost broke two months ago, but alas, have resorted back to. Anyway a french manicure is what I'm going with. That's about it.

Makeup is fine and is professional so long as it is done professionally.

Well-groomed nails, eyebrows, hair is also essential. You cannot go wrong with a french manicure.

Moderation is best - you want the interviewes to focus on you and not your makeup. I say this because this customer at my weekend job came in and she literally had her lips drew, bow shaped and berry red, and I couldn't concentrate on what she was saying because of her "artistic facial distractions". I know this is extreme but you get the idea.....

I would go easy on the mascara and use brown eyeliner, it wakes the eyes up and it looks natural. Also lip balm in place of shiny gloss and colored lipstick. For nails, a natural shade or nothing at all is fine. I'm not sure how they'll find long acrylic nails with a fake looking french manicure or neon color. If you feel good about your makeup and clothes when you look in the mirror, then that's best indication you look appropiate.

Moderation is best - you want the interviewes to focus on you and not your makeup. I say this because this customer at my weekend job came in and she literally had her lips drew, bow shaped and berry red, and I couldn't concentrate on what she was saying because of her "artistic facial distractions". I know this is extreme but you get the idea.....

I would go easy on the mascara and use brown eyeliner, it wakes the eyes up and it looks natural. Also lip balm in place of shiny gloss and colored lipstick. For nails, a natural shade or nothing at all is fine. I'm not sure how they'll find long acrylic nails with fake looking french manicures. If you feel good about your makeup and clothes when you look in the mirror, then that's best indication you look appropiate.

One does not need to have acrylic nails in order to get a french manicure ( I don't like fake nails either). Just get one done on your natural nails, I do think it makes your hands look better, especially if your nails are too short/bitten.

I agree that you should go easy on the mascara, but do use eyeliner. A brown/light black color (depending on your coloring) will do, just do it on your eyelid, very close to your eyelid line (it shouldn't go on the bottom). It makes your eyes look better.

I think lip gloss is fine as long as it's not very brigth/shiny. Just so your lips don't look dry and opaque.

One does not need to have acrylic nails in order to get a french manicure. I do think it makes your hands look better, especially if your nails are too short/bitten.

I agree that you should go easy on the mascara, but do use eyeliner. A brown/light black color (depending on your coloring) will do, just do it on your eyelid, very close to your eyelid line (it shouldn't go on the bottom). It makes your eyes look better.

I think lip gloss is fine as long as it's not very brigth/shiny. Just so your lips don't look dry and opaque.

Buddy, I meant a french manicure painted on the fake nail, I've seen those who do a pink polish and do this white-out white shade on half the nail. Very tacky. I do know you can do them on natural nails.

Buddy, I meant a french manicure painted on the fake nail, I've seen those who do a pink polish and do this white-out white shade on half the nail. Very tacky.

You made it sound like you thought French manicure is only done in fake nails. You were not that specific. And don't get so insulted, I just pointed it out.

You made it sound like you thought French manicure is only done in fake nails. You were not that specific. And don't get so insulted, I just pointed it out.

LOL, no problem, it's just for the record :D

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, no problem, it's just for the record :D

Oki Doki. :D

Now we can stop hijacking this thread and go back to the original programming.

I agree with baylor med here. The only way a french manicure looks tacky is if you have super long fake nails and as the other poster mentioned, a pink tinge with white out white on the top. If you just get white on the tips and a clear polish over the rest, it's fine. I do bite my nails, so I will probably be getting small (!) nails put on. That doesn't look bad. You just don't get them long.

Anyway, the makeup is just personal preference. I love doing makeup but that is not a skill I plan on showing my interviewer. I'm wearing minimal and light colors. Mascara for me is fine because that makes my eyes stand out, as long as it's not all clumpy. Find what looks the most natural on you, and go with that.

neutral make-up: I'm really fair so once I put on cover up, I have to paint color on my face :laugh:. This consists of blush, eye shadow, eye-liner, mascara and lipstick but I'm sure to put everything on lightly.

nails: short with one coat of a light, sheer pink. Its getting so cold that my hands are getting dry and red :( Darn MI winters....

I just had some light cover up, light brown eyeshadow, mascara, and lip balm. I don't ever wear nail polish, but my nails were clipped short and neat. You definitely don't want to draw negative attention to yourself by your make up or accessories. A little bit of make up made me feel more confident, personally. :)

Welll not to turn this into a beauty tips forum or something, but for winter weather the BEST thing I've ever used for hands and dry skin is Burt's Bees Almond Milk Hand Creme. My hands get really chapped from the cold weather and working in a lab and washing them soo frequently. But this is the only thing that's really worked, for real.

Makeup: YES! It is professional to do so, if you are comfortable wearing makeup. I redden very easily so I wear natural foundation and pressed powder, LIGHT mascara, natural shadow, and natural, matte lipstick. I can't emphasize enough for ladies to look natural--now's not the time for bright red lips, smoky eyes, fakey gloss etc.

Yes, I would get a manicure with clear or very light polish--again, not the time for huge fake nails or terribly flashy colors.

Just my humble opinion.

Worked great for me:thumbup:

You're a girl?

Regarding the fake nails thing: it's against hospital policies at UCLA to have fake nails, and I'm sure that's pretty standard at most hospitals, so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to go to an interview with them...it might give the interviewers the idea that you don't belong there...

As for the make-up, I'm going for my everyday make-up: black eyeliner on the top lid, tan and light brown eyes shadow, mascara, cover up, foundation, powder, and blush. Plus burt bee's chapstick. I love Burt Bee's stuff. Ever try the honey milk lotion? Mmmm it smells so good!

You're a girl?

LOL, I am (shock) a girl.

Rob and DVN can back me up here. :D

Sorry, my avatar prob. is confusing but it's Bluto from Animal House. And, yes, he was pre-med...

i think what makeup you use depends on your coloring a bit.. i'm pretty tan so just mascara does nothing.. i need a little eyeliner (not too much though, just right next to the lash line) and eyeshadow isn't very helpful. but i think if you're more fair eyeliner could just look tacky.
i didn't use lipstick either.. burt's bees all the way!!

i think like most have pointed out try to look natural... but some makeup definitely makes you put more put-together.
and don't forget some bronzer/blush so you don't just look one color - and it helps give your face some shape too :)

One does not need to have acrylic nails in order to get a french manicure ( I don't like fake nails either). Just get one done on your natural nails, I do think it makes your hands look better, especially if your nails are too short/bitten.

It's fine if you want to have a manicure (french or otherwise), or if it's a thing you like to do for relaxation, but don't do it just because you are interviewing. The interviewing process is expensive enough without the expense of beauty treatments. Just keep your nails neat and that will be fine. When I interview applicants, I would only notice their nails if there was something really strange about them -- whether your nails are well maintained or french manicured really makes no difference.

seriously annoying thread. come on girls! no one cares. i personally feel that most people should wear make up and i hope that at this point in your lives, if you looked like a clown, someone would have alerted you. just be yourself and who gives a damn about red or pink or neutral nails. if it looks good, rock out

Reactions: 1 user
So, I bite my nails (nasty habit from approximately the last two decades...sigh) so manicures are out for me. However, since my eyelashes are blonde and the rest of my complexion is fairly pale, I'm wearing a basic black-brown mascara, a creamish pink colored eyeshadow just to right above the crease, and a light colored moisturizer with SPF from Lancome (expensive but I think there may be cheaper products that do the same thing out there) that's really light and just evens things out instead of showing up as powdery like foundation and pressed powder does on me, and a neutral barely noticeable lip color. No blush, no eye liner. I also try to only hit the top half of my eyelashes with mascara since I end up with raccoon eyes by the end of the work day otherwise.

i would add dfinitelly dont go without make up, because you want to look professional and having a plain face and dressed up in suit just doesnt go together...but definitely, not strong eye shadow colours, more natural look, yet professional.

I have olive skin, brown eyes so on interviews I wear foundation (to even things out), dark green eye shadow that does not go on too strong, black eyeliner, maskara, blush (I <3 Mac) and no lipstick because I have extremely thick lips. And fortunately (thanks to consistent trimming) I have good long hair so wear it down.

i would add definitely dont go without make up, because you want to look professional and having a plain face and dressed up in suit just doesnt go together...but definitely, not strong eye shadow colours, more natural look, yet professional.

I was personally shocked when I was the only girl to have on make-up out of fifteen. I have a very young face and make-up makes me look 20 instead of 14. The other girls looked like they just rolled out of bed. I think up make-up is a must if you want to look professional. NOT NIGHT CLUB MAKE-UP but at least put some chapstick on those dry lips!:laugh: