Ladies, nailpolish in interviews??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

senioritaelena

Let's go
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't bite them. Hah.

Besides that, I bet it makes no difference as long as you don't use a hot pink.

a french manicure can look more tasteful than bare nails OR more trashy than bright pink talons. make sure you know which one you are!

I can never do it that beautiful so I stuck with clear nailpolish. Then, after the first interview, I forgot and my nails looked eh. I don't think it actually mattered.

actually i've heard that it's been shown that interviewers look at your hands a lot...it says something about your personal hygiene. i think a french manicure or sheer pink--nothing over the top.

lol, I'm a guy but I've been kinda worried about this because I kinda relapsed into nail biting late last week...leaving my nails kinda craptacular.

So I had to put some clear nailpolish on temporarily to stop myself from biting it before my interview on wednesday (Yes I will remove the nail polish before wednesday since I don't need people asking me why I have nail polish on, although most people don't notice, but I figure they might be staring for any clues lol).

Sadly my nails aren't growing back quite as quickly as I'd optimally like, but maybe they'll just think I trimmed it really well lol.

Cirrus, and any other guy -- you may laugh at the idea, but try a male manicure (assuming you're near an urban center where this isn't just a myth). In NYC, they tend to cost about $12 or so and they do a great job of trimming/buffing without having to wear the clear nail polish. My banker and consultant friends swear by them for job interviews, but refuse to admit they exist at any other time. :D

For the ladies, I'm surprised that French manicures are so popular and always considered tasteful. I've always thought they looked a little scary, and I've heard similar from varied people recently. They're always recommended by interview consultants, so I must just have an odd group of colleagues.

I bite my hangnails...so nail polish is a must for me (at least i don't actually bite the nails, so they're nice and long and strong at least :laugh:)

I'd say moisturizing your hands is more important though. I always do just because of my skin tone, you can actually see when they look dry. A lot of my friends never moisturize because it's not visible, but consider shaking an interviewers hand....

Members don't see this ad :)
Cirrus and other nail bitters--I'm constantly breaking nails at the lab, so I swear by some of the Sally Hansen nail growth accelerator stuff....I think the one in the gold bottle (which is then packaged in a box, it's not one of the freestanding polishes) is the best...I think it might be Nail Growth Miracle or something? It goes on like clear polish. It should speed things up enough that you can file them to look neater.

I think the French manicures recommended for interviews are short ones (the "white" is only a few mm or so)....anything long is scary and sketchy.

Good:
57339l.jpg

Bad and Frickin' Scary:
french.jpg

Whoa...they invented stuff to make nails grow faster?! I totally never got that memo, lol.

I had nail polish at some of my interviews. Usually a very light pink, or a French. Although whether I did or didn't didn't seem to make much of a difference in the decision. Just make sure you do it the day before your interview if you're prone to chipping your polish, because IMO, nothing makes you looked more unput together than chipped nail polish.

my recommendation: if you are a chipper/biter/etc....get a manicure! it will set you back probably $10-15, and for me the simple fact that i paid to have those nails done is enough motivation to leave them alone (at least until after the interviews). i am totally not a girly girl, but i definitely like to pamper myself a little bit before something important like an interview.

While I like to indulge in a pedicure or some such when I visit home for the summer, I also bite my nails so manicures with real polish are a bit wasted on me. However, my grandfather swears by the occassional male manicure and pedicure since he's getting older and it's harder to A. reach his toes and B. keep his hands and feet maintained.

Personally, as long as your finger nails aren't dirty and you're not biting them at the interview/in the admissions office directly, I don't think it really matters. My fingernails regularly only have a tiny bit of the natural white area and sometimes none at all thanks to nervous biting and that's never held me back in any professional way that I know of. If they look jagged in a way that's noticeable, all you need to do is buy a 50 cent file and smooth them out a bit.

Since you're wearing a suit, I would stay away from really loud colors or very long (especially fake nails) just like I would stay away from a pink mohawk or really obvious (i.e. stage) make-up. While I hate how nitpicky this process is, I would hate to have to wonder why I got rejected/waitlisted and think maybe it had to do with getting an older, more traditional interviewer while wearing long nails with pink and black polka dots.

Whoa...they invented stuff to make nails grow faster?! I totally never got that memo, lol.

They also have this stuff you can drink that's made from a gelatin based powder that you can buy next to regular jello at the grocery store. Not good if you're kosher, but it supposedly increases the strength of your nails and hair.

if i could actually score an interview, i'd paint them foxy red, wear hot black pumps, and give it 100%... of course i don't have any interviews... so that's just a fantasy...

I cut my nails short and painted them pale pink. Put a good top coat on too so that they are harder to chip. They look good this way for everything and if they are short but filed neatly they are harder to chip and you don't get as much crap under them! :)