Ladies, pants or skirts for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Some of my interviews are in NY but I have already bought the suits. They are really well tailored and I felt that the darker colors just didn't look as nice on me. I am petite and the darker colors kind of overwhelmed me! Hopefully, the programs won't judge me too harshly on the color of my suit! :) Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

So I just received the detailed information for one of my next interviews. And it stated that the dress code is casual (i.e. suits are not required). This is weird and I feel really weirded by it. I don't know what I should do, I feel like I still want to wear a suit but then don't want to be the only one who wears one and then stand out. Anybody been in a similar situation???

So I just received the detailed information for one of my next interviews. And it stated that the dress code is casual (i.e. suits are not required). This is weird and I feel really weirded by it. I don't know what I should do, I feel like I still want to wear a suit but then don't want to be the only one who wears one and then stand out. Anybody been in a similar situation???

I had an interview where we were told to dress comfortably and not wear a suit. Some of the applicants had not read the e-mail fully and showed up in suits and a few wore jeans, but most wore slacks and a button-down or sweater i.e. work-appropriate but not too formal. I felt weird about not wearing a suit as well but it was definitely a lot more comfortable. Although your invite says "casual" I would think that work-appropriate and not jeans would also be your best bet.

if this is an OB interview in texas, and I suspect it is, i did this one a couple of weeks ago.

one girl was in jeans, a guy was in khakis and a short sleeved polo, most people were in nice slacks and a button down or sweater, and a couple of girls wore suits. The program director actually thanked the girl that wore jeans.

I was in slacks and a button down, and felt very comfortable that way. I would recommend business casual.

so with a skirt suit (black) - what is the best color for pantyhose - black or skin-colored? (clearly I don't wear hose much :) )

I would wear skin colored hose. I don't like the way black hose with a black suit looks...but I am not sure what the norm is....

another vote for nude hose with black skirt

Really? Nude hose for a black skirt? I tried this and thought it brought too much attention to the legs. In my opinion at least. I bought some light off black hose.

As for what I've seen...it's been mostly pinstripes and plain black. From the surgery interviewees I've seen, the women always wore black. For internal medicine, one girl was so obviously "hollywood". She reminded me of Elle from Legally Blond. Houndstooth light brown suit with all these embellishments, short skirt, nude hose, stiletto heals and a Louis Vuitton purse. In my opinion, entirely inappropriate for a residency interview, bit to each one's own.

I've heard that skirt suits should be worn because medicine is still a very conservative profession and pants suits on women are not traditionally conservative. Also, navy blue is the color of choice. Black is to be worn by those already in a position of power/prestige/status. Charcoal gray is a good alternative. I don't know that I necessarily agree with all of this, but this was recommended as the official guideline by a medical summer program I attended many years ago.

if this is an OB interview in texas, and I suspect it is, i did this one a couple of weeks ago.

one girl was in jeans, a guy was in khakis and a short sleeved polo, most people were in nice slacks and a button down or sweater, and a couple of girls wore suits. The program director actually thanked the girl that wore jeans.

I was in slacks and a button down, and felt very comfortable that way. I would recommend business casual.

Last edited:
what do you do about buttoning/unbuttoning your jacket (either with pants or skirt suit). Does it depend on how many buttons the jacket has and if you are standing/sitting?

ahh...this business dress is a new world for me:eek:

what do you do about buttoning/unbuttoning your jacket (either with pants or skirt suit). Does it depend on how many buttons the jacket has and if you are standing/sitting?

ahh...this business dress is a new world for me:eek:

buttoned when standing, unbutton 1 or 2 buttons when sitting if the suit pulls across the bust or hips when sitting. Same rules as for men.

I just wanted to add that in my 4 interviews so far (ortho), I've only seen 1 skirt. Every other girl has worn a pant-suit (I hate that phrase, but whatever). I have noticed more variation in colors of suits though. Mine's black, and I have 2 blouses, one's royal blue and one's white.

Personally, I think guys should wear kilts more often. The whole get up because really, that's quite formal.

I'm in the market for a messenger bag. Would a plain black messenger bag be appropriate for interviews, or only purses?

I don't recall seeing any messenger bags on the interview trail. There were plenty of purses in multiple sizes and colors, though most were black and big enough to hold an attache/folder. A lot of people didn't carry anything other than the attache, though a tote/purse is nice for carrying thing like flats if you know you'll be walking a lot and want to get out of heels for a bit.

I know this is an old post, but just wanted to say that this place sounds awesome. :laugh:
It probably tells you a lot about someone when you see how they react to being told that the usual dress code no longer applies.

After a long, exciting, tiring interview season, I can honestly say that I made the WRONG choice by purchasing a skirtsuit. At every interview I was on, even on the east coast, all of the women were in pant-suits. I would have been much more comfortable in a pantsuit, especially during December/January.

I luckily by default did not have to make a choice. Winter means that I'm playing indoor volleyball at least once a week, and that leads to bruises randomly appearing on my legs (knee pads lead to bad "kneepad burn" on the knees, which is worse). I did not want the interviewers to ask if I felt safe at home. :laugh:

I did not see any messenger bags this last year, but since the bag stays in the room that is your "home-base" there probably would never be a problem. I had a black purse that fit a folder that worked well.

Most females wore pants, but not all. I wore pants and I matched. Need I say more? :p