Ladies: Pantsuits ok for interviews??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HreComesTheSun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any negative reactions to wearing pantsuits instead of a skirt, especially at maybe more traditional east coast schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone had any negative reactions to wearing pantsuits instead of a skirt, especially at maybe more traditional east coast schools?

Nope, I've been accepted to 2 east coast schools wearing pants (interviewed at 3 - haven't heard from 1), and a large majority of people interviewing with me (female) were also wearing pantsuits. Wear a skirt in midwinter for an interview? hells no!

i was actually worried that i would like a jackass for wearing a skirt suit in freezing weather. that was just all i could find in the late summer/early fall when i was suit shopping. i should probably invest in a pant suit anyways...plus i think sometimes they look sleeker and more powerful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even in the early interview season when it wasn't very cold back east, the vast majority of females at interviews I went to wore black pantsuits, some wore black skirt suits, and maybe 1-2 each time wore some other color pant suit or skirt suit.

Pant suits are fine.

No way! I only have a suit with pants. My very old fashioned father wanted me to get a suit with a skirt, but I went against the grain and I'm doing just fine. I have heard from dozens of doctors though not to get a BLACK suit. Everybody wears one, you don't stick out at all and from what I can tell most doctors interviewing students are sick of seeing everyone look uniform in the same black skirt/pantsuit.

I haven't worn a skirt yet for any of my five interviews - and most of the people I've seen interviewing with me had pantsuits as well. My results so far are one acceptance to an east coast school, and 5 interviews waiting to hear about - no rejections.

BTW, when I see UCSF interviewees walking around (which is where I live) they also are also rarely wearing skirts.

skirts are complicated...gotta wear the tights (sp?) and all. but if i don't find a nice suit with pants...i'm just going to wear what i've got and freeze a little. but i say, if you can only buy one...buy the pants which is what most people end up feeling most comfortable with. (you don't have to worry about how you are crossing your legs either...must be nice ;) )

I interviewed in a group with 7 girls and one guys and all the girls wore a pantsuit. Mine was dark blue and another girl's was dark green, so I don't think the traditional black suit is a must (we were both accepted).

Out of the 7 girls at my two interviews (including me), all but 1 wore a pants suit. She wore a grey skirt and a cardigan. Pants suits are A-ok!

I have to say that I agree with everyone who has said that pantsuits are fine. It's what I wore, since my interviews were in the middle of winter. BUT the radiology program director at my school apparently tells ALL the women applying to rads that they should wear skirts. I thought this was interesting, and she DEFINITELY knows what she's talking about - given the fact that she's a very successful woman in the field of radiology and the fact that no one from my school who tried has failed to match into rads for at least the last 3-4 years.

I may switch to skirts for residency interviews.

I have to say that I agree with everyone who has said that pantsuits are fine. It's what I wore, since my interviews were in the middle of winter. BUT the radiology program director at my school apparently tells ALL the women applying to rads that they should wear skirts. I thought this was interesting, and she DEFINITELY knows what she's talking about - given the fact that she's a very successful woman in the field of radiology and the fact that no one from my school who tried has failed to match into rads for at least the last 3-4 years.

Thats so interesting that it borders on bizarre.. Really, I never would have thought that.

excellent (and very entertaining) input...thank you VERY much!

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly, go with whatever you're most comfortable with. people don't really care what you wear as long as you project confidence.

Give it another four years, and hopefully the profession wont require women to wear skirts to interviews to succeed...

I so desire to say something here about girls that aren't in shape who wear skirts and why they shouldn't --- but I think we all know this line of reasoning.

Maybe I'm a sexist, but something about me seeing a chubby/fat woman in a skirt says unprofessional and tacky.

My mother has always told my sisters the same thing -- if you don't have the legs to pull a skirt off, don't wear them.

what about big hoop or dangly earrings? would those not be "conservative" enough??

what about big hoop or dangly earrings? would those not be "conservative" enough??

Shoes, jewelry, and accessories should be really conservative, according to a talk I heard about the admissions/interview process given by the Asst. Dean of UT Memphis. I think big or flashy jewelry is probably not good for interviews at most schools.

Has anyone felt the urge to remove rings before an interview to avoid potentially dangerous questions about significant others?

I knew a girl who claimed that she was kept out of school because she mentioned she had just gotten engaged and felt the interview go downhill from there because they questioned her commitment to med school. :scared:

I have only seen one skirt on the interview trail and this girl was a disaster. Practically micro-mini with an overly tight shirt complete with plunging neckline and shoes not typically seen outside of Hunt's Point. As she was not particularly fit, flesh was everywhere. Just a mess.

I've worn a skirt to all of my interviews so far and I'm holding an acceptance. I don't think it particularly matters, as long as the skirt suit is tasteful (ie appropriate length, not too tight). Wear whatever you feel the most comfortable and confident in, and let that shine through in your interviews.

What about for guys - pants or skirt, and are big hoop earings allowed?

Bottom line: Wear what you are comfortable with. Either suit is acceptable.

I have a dark blue(navy) pant suit that has tiny gray pin stripes...what should I do about shoes...everyone keeps saying navy but believe it or not cannot find them anywhere? The pinstripes are too small to pull off gray shoes? Any suggestions?

I have a dark blue(navy) pant suit that has tiny gray pin stripes...what should I do about shoes...everyone keeps saying navy but believe it or not cannot find them anywhere? The pinstripes are too small to pull off gray shoes? Any suggestions?

I think navy looks great with shoes in the brown family, especially if you could get some buckskin (like sort of tan) pumps.

Everybody wears one, you don't stick out at all and from what I can tell most doctors interviewing students are sick of seeing everyone look uniform in the same black skirt/pantsuit.

After reading somewhere that a lot of interviewees wear black, I bought a gray pantsuit from Macy's and I love it. At the two interviews I went to, probably a third of the girls wore skirtsuits and the rest pantsuits. I think you should wear whatever you feel most comfortable in, so that you feel confident and focused.