Noob Qs: what makes a match list insane/ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecheddar

Reaction score
In choosing between schools I feel whenever I talk to current m4 students at t20s, they all say their match list is insane…. How do I evaluate that for myself? I’m open to any specialty, but leaning IM but also want the open opportunities.

But also, I wish schools would publish the average rank that their students match with. Like are most of these people going to their first choice or 5th?

Thank you all in advance

Members don't see this ad.

two elements are
- competitive fields (neurosurgery, Ortho, derm, ESIR, integrated plastics, ENT)
- prestigious institutions (mass gen, Hopkins, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
In choosing between schools I feel whenever I talk to current m4 students at t20s, they all say their match list is insane…. How do I evaluate that for myself? I’m open to any specialty, but leaning IM but also want the open opportunities.

But also, I wish schools would publish the average rank that their students match with. Like are most of these people going to their first choice or 5th?

Thank you all in advance
Ranking is more on the student rather than the school, so this would likely not be possible, as it would vary wildly from year to year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very difficult to evaluate match lists, because there is a ton of self-selection involved that is invisible to the outsider.

Pretend there are two students, Billy and Sally.

Billy dual applied to orthopedic surgery and general surgery as a backup. He got 0 ortho interviews and 3 GS interviews. He ranks all 3 and matches at #1.

Sally also dual applied, but got 10 ortho interviews and 7 GS interviews. She ranks the ortho programs 1-10 and the GS programs 11-17. She matches at #6.

Who came out better?

• Love
Reactions: 5 users