Laid off of gap year job and updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lafakads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So recently I got laid off of my gap year job at a pathology lab due to medicare reimbursement cuts. I was just about to send some schools that I havent heard anything from update letters but I can't really say that im working anymore.

Anyone got any ideas of how to say this without making me look bad? Right now im looking for a job but until then I cant really say much.

Also if I were to write a letter of intent to a school how could I update them on this? I

Members don't see this ad.

So recently I got laid off of my gap year job at a pathology lab due to medicare reimbursement cuts. I was just about to send some schools that I havent heard anything from update letters but I can't really say that im working anymore.

Anyone got any ideas of how to say this without making me look bad? Right now im looking for a job but until then I cant really say much.

Also if I were to write a letter of intent to a school how could I update them on this? I

Let me see if I got this right... You want to send and update letter to some and a LOI to others focusing on how you got canned?

:confused::confused:

Let me see if I got this right... You want to send and update letter to some and a LOI to others focusing on how you got canned?

:confused::confused:

I want to send something since I still havent heard anything from my IS schools. At least get my name out there.

And the whole lab will probably being going down too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe talk about the kinds of positive things that you got out of the experience and how it will help you in the future.

I am not sure it will help but it's the only thing I can think of.

Also, maybe say something about Medicare reimbursement cuts???

There it's no way to say you got laid off that's positive. None. I wouldn't send any update letter at all if I were you. You have no positive updates to report. They haven't forgotten about you. If you were the best at your job, you'd be the last one downsized. That's what they will get out of your update.
Expounding on lessons learned from unemployment, the new life as a barista, etc. will not aid your application.
If you send a letter of intent, reiterate why you are a perfect fit for that school, not why you're currently unemployed and about to be evicted.
To be honest, I think a letter of intent really only helps people who have been admitted to other schools already and you're writing to explain why you would turn down your acceptance to Stanford if you could get off the wait list at UVA.

Last edited:
there it's no way to say you got laid off that's positive. None. I wouldn't send any update letter at all if i were you. You have no positive updates to report. They haven't forgotten about you. If you were the best at your job, you'd be the last one downsized. That's what they will get out of your update.
Expounding on lessons learned from unemployment, the new life as a barista, etc. Will not aid your application.

+1

"During my continued employment at xyz lab I learned..."

Past tense is subtle enough that they won't notice you no longer work.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Oh **** you're supposed to write what you learned in update letters? I just listed what I did and the hours per week

Oh **** you're supposed to write what you learned in update letters? I just listed what I did and the hours per week

LMFAO. no you don't have to write about what you learned jeez they don't have time to read all that!

Just write about what you have done since you applied, your accomplishments, etc. You don't have to put that you were laid off. You can write a very elegant letter letting them know in 1 or 2 paragraphs how you benefited from working there and how that fits within the school you are applying (espcially if the school is a big research school). The point of the letter is to update them and let them know why you're a good choice in a subtle way and to give them what would be the equivalent of a FB "poke".... LOL