foxtrot

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
A little break from anesthesia to discuss cars.....

Okay, so I finally have saved enough money to be able to buy a descent vehicle post training. My questions is what mid sized SUV's do you folks like? I don't want to spend $80k on a Range Rover or a Mercedes. I don't like the look of the Lexus RX10 or the Acura RDX. I really like the look of the 2010 Land Rover LR2 and it is affordable. I just don't know much about the new LR2's. Any input would be appreciated.

jeesapeesa

anesthesiologist southern california
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern California
Status
Attending Physician

Okay, so I finally have saved enough money to be able to buy a descent vehicle post training. My questions is what mid sized SUV's do you folks like? I don't want to spend $80k on a Range Rover or a Mercedes. I don't like the look of the Lexus RX10 or the Acura RDX. I really like the look of the 2010 Land Rover LR2 and it is affordable. I just don't know much about the new LR2's. Any input would be appreciated.
forget the landrover. get this:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2010/x6/default.aspx

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
all these new "suv's" are starting to look a lot like minivans but without the sliding doors.

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
Mercedes Benz ML550. All you want, and more. More than the LR2 but well under the RR. The new redesign seems to be much more reliable than the last generation. They're getting the focus back on what always made them great. The Land Rover was redesigned by Ford when they were trying to dump the brand. One could say the same for Chrysler and Benz. But Benz was always their crown jewel and never on life support.

Jeff05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
DO NOT get LR2. off road performance is pretty good, but reliability is horrible and avoidance tests proved it to be dangerous (2 wheels lift up off the ground).

in your price range based on LR2: 35-45k

for smaller SUVs my picks are:
1. audi q5
2. bmw x3
3. vw tiguan
4. volvo xc60

a bit larger
1. acura MDX
2. Toyota 4 runner
3. Honda Pilot
4. Lexus RX350

the audi q5 is, to me, BY FAR the best one. acura MDX comes in number 2.

Last edited:

foxtrot

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
DO NOT get LR2. off road performance is pretty good, but reliability is horrible and avoidance tests proved it to be dangerous (2 wheels lift up off the ground).

in your price range based on LR2: 35-45k

for smaller SUVs my picks are:
1. audi q5
2. bmw x3
3. vw tiguan
4. volvo xc60

a bit larger
1. acura MDX
2. Toyota 4 runner
3. Honda Pilot
4. Lexus RX350

the audi q5 is, to me, BY FAR the best one. acura MDX comes in number 2.
I was concerned about the reliability myself but I like the price of $35k. The Volvo XC60 looks like a minivan. But I think it has much better safety and reliability. I will look into the Audi Q5. Thanks for your input. I just don't like the way alot of these are styled..they have that soccer mom look to them which is what I don't want. But at the same time, I don't want to get a POS, which is what I am concerned the LR2 may be.

mickey1t

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
it all depends on u....male/female....short/tall.....slender/"husky"....if ur on the smaller side, those crossover, midsize SUVs r great options....if ur on the larger side, ull definitely wanna go for the supersized versions (also if u have kids)....i recently was car shopping and this was the exact issue i faced.....the price of the midsize vehicles is hard to beat, however, i am on the larger side and couldnt see myself comfortable after a call, or on a long drive...personally i went for the larger SUV and got a GL mercedes but got it used....figured it had exactly what i wanted as far as size and features and the same sticker price as the new midsized vehicles, but with the downside of being used....

if ur set on the midsize, i really like the new cadillac SRX....it is an incredible vehicle, loaded with the lastest high tech gadgets and a real aggressive look...for the 35-45 price...

also, remember to find out when the "new" model/body stlyes are coming out....it sucks to buy a new car, and have the line change within the year....i know that the VW Tourag, Volvo XC90 and the BMW x5 are all changing this summer... and would figure the Porsche Cayenne and Infiniti FX are also due since they all debutted around the same time...

just my two cents

kazuma

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I'm a little biased.......

kazuma

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
200 Series Land Cruiser. Definitely outside your stated budget, but you could pick up a 100 series (1998-2007) for 13-40K and they are extremely well built, reliable, and safe. Luxurious too, if that's something you are interested in.

Another 100 series:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
Here's a random test drive rec for you if you don't want to drop the big coin, but still get something useful and interesting.
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8. 420 hp of stealth fun. Only a bit more than the LR.
If you can wait 12-18 months you can get the new design SRT-8 for 2012. >500 hp! I'm going to take a look. If it turns out to be a POS, I'll sell it at 3 years and write it off as a midlife crisis, and I'd probably only lose 20k. ;)

Last edited:

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
Sorry, I just realized that you are looking at the LR2 vs the new LR4. My recs were probably 15-20k more than you want to spend.
Check out the Mercedes GLK350. It is comparible to the LR2 in size and price, but it's got the big shiny star, and probably better build quality. I've had the LR2 as a service loaner, and it was underpowered and loud. I've got a Rover and it's not worth the money. It dates back to the pre-kids era. Looks good though.;)

sevo85288

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Drive a Porsche Cayenne S or GTS before you make any decision.

s204367

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
Visit site
Status
Wife drives a Q5. It is small on the interior, with less cargo space than an A4 wagon. It drives very well, and like an A4...

I would recommend the X5 Diesel. It will get near 30mpg. iF you want to save 10grand, the VW Touareg is a very well built car(same as Porsche Platform). It too is in a Diesel. The Cayenne will drive better than almost any other SUV out there, and is very good offroad(as is the Touareg). It is just ugly as sin and expensive.

You also have the Q7diesel to choose from as well, and that is what I drive. I am getting just over 30mpg on highway driving. I am not as huge a fan of the looks as I am with he Q5, but we needed a bigger vehicle for 2 kids. THe Q5 just is way too small.

Best bang fo rthe buck and you will never go offroad?? Honda Passport. Half the price of the X5 and Cayenne.

The LR?? Other than the Range ROver SPort S/C, overal not impressed. They are great offroad, but are now owned by a company out of India that I would not yet put my money into.

As you note I have pushed the Diesels. Huge Tq numbers, and drive cleaner than gas without all of the old noise. We will see gas break 5 dollars in a year as we come out of this recession. We will see no less than a 30% reduction in income, more if you are currently in a high paying practice.......

I pissed away a ton of cash on such cars as an Aston, AUdi RS4, 911.......One of the worst ways to spend your money. I'd get the HOnda and save up for a rainy day.....caus it is coming...

BobBarker

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I would get something you would feel comfortable towing with. You never know when you will decide you want a boat..

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
The Land Rover will dominate every one of the above cars "offroad". If you are not going to go offroad then you should probably go with something else. THe Audi's are nice but maintenance is not any better than a Land ROver. The VW Toureg (sp?) also has a horrendous maintenance record but the diesel is intriguing. I'd go with a Jap SUV still.

panetrain

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2008
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
Have driven Range Rover Discovery's for years and now drive the Range Rover Supercharged. Love this vehicle. Just make sure your Range Rover has a warrantee at all times!!!

Attachments

Surfer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wait a couple months and get the new Jeep Grand Cherokee that is coming out this summer (2011 model). It will be the best SUV for the money. 40 grand will destroy the competitors 60 grand machines. It looks awesome too!

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Have driven Range Rover Discovery's for years and now drive the Range Rover Supercharged. Love this vehicle. Just make sure your Range Rover has a warrantee at all times!!!

why cause it constantly breaks down?

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
why cause it constantly breaks down?
Every time I take my Rover in for something it's >$1000. The extended warranty is absolutely worth the $$. I had. 4000 repair a few months ago. I didn't even know there was a problem looming. It will save you thousands. Rich folks drive Rangr Rovers for a reason, no one else can afford to keep them going!;) I really would like a 1995 RR County LWB. I just love the classic style.

chinochulo

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
Status
I pissed away a ton of cash on such cars as an Aston, AUdi RS4, 911.......One of the worst ways to spend your money. I'd get the HOnda and save up for a rainy day.....caus it is coming...
You traded in the RS4 for an Aston and 911? Damn! I still have my Honda....

ChiDO

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
$40k fully loaded 2010 highlander limited

I would consider this a "mid-size" SUV.

The BMW X3/X5 are smaller then this, but also really nice, so I would consider them "small-size" SUVs. (also out of your price range of 35-45k).

Part of me feels like all these SUVs are the new "soccer mom" cars, which, back 20 years ago were the mini-vans. I would personally get a BMW 3/5 series (in case you need 4 wheel drive) and leave the SUV for the wife and xport of the kids. Although, I would probably drive a Porsche SUV or BMW X5 M. =)

Last edited:

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
What are the best "off road" pick-up trucks in that price range? Noyac or anyone?
Not sure. Most pickups don't wheel as well as a real offroad vehicle like a Land Rover or Jeep or even a Landcruiser
WTBS, I took my Tundra with a 4" lift on some easier offroad adventures last year and it did fine. Actually, it did better than the 4Runner I was with. But there was a lot of driver influence as well.
Most pickups have a very rudimentary suspension system and a light rear end that isn't conducive to traction. Land Rover has the most sophisticated terrain response and off road system that I am aware of. But again, not very many people need it, much less understand it enough to utilize it.

Last edited:

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Russianjoo, You would enjoy my weekend vehicle:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=692095&page=3

Check it out in post #132. It's a 1997 totally built to go anywhere.
yeah i know i've seen your ride before and i am very jealous... maybe one day, I can only dream... till then I think I am going to get a Wrangler and due almost the same mods to it. I think it's the only SUV made out of metal and not plastic these days...

Last edited:

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Correction, it's Land Rover Discovery not Range Rover Discovery.

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
yeah i know i've seen your ride before and i am very jealous... maybe one day I can only dream... till then I think I am going to get a Wrangler and due almost the same mods to it. I think it's the only SUV made out of metal and not plastic these days...
THere's plenty of plastic but still the Wrangler is a real offroader. Get the Rubicon unless you really know what type of mods you want to make to it.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
THere's plenty of plastic but still the Wrangler is a real offroader. Get the Rubicon unless you really know what type of mods you want to make to it.
is your defender a manual? I am still about a year away from buying my wrangler but I don't know what's better for off-roading manual or automatic.. guess i got some research to do.

and I know exactly what I want.. Just trying to save up some money so that i can make it happen fairly quickly, and I need to see what the hospital garage clearance is... :laugh:

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Found this...

SUV Rankings

Off Road Rankings

Land Rover and Jeep Grand Cherokee had the highest off road performance.

I'm sure it's not completely accurate, but good if your brainstorming options.
Good Find.

I will tell you that in my experience the Land Rover LR4 and the Range Rover Sport are better offroad than the Cherokee from what I have seen. I have witnessed both of these vehicles on the trails in Moab and they are mind blowing. Last Year a ran across a Range Rover Sport on Poison Spider trail. It did everything my D90 did that was at least not too tall for the tires to get a purchase on. Driving it was 3 Brit's. They were the engineers for Land Rover testing their newest creation the 2010 Range Rover Sport. You tell me what other company actually does this. These guys were really wheelin that RRS.

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
is your defender a manual? I am still about a year away from buying my wrangler but I don't know what's better for off-roading manual or automatic.. guess i got some research to do.

and I know exactly what I want.. Just trying to save up some money so that i can make it happen fairly quickly, and I need to see what the hospital garage clearance is... :laugh:
Automatic. All '97s are autos.

Automatic tranies are better than manual now days. There are still a few manuals out there these days but the automatics are taking over. They are stronger and they don't lose traction when shifting. Plus they are cheaper to fix.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Automatic. All '97s are autos.

Automatic tranies are better than manual now days. There are still a few manuals out there these days but the automatics are taking over. They are stronger and they don't lose traction when shifting. Plus they are cheaper to fix.

thanks for the advice.. what about the whole 6 gears with manual vs. 4 gears with automatic (that's the gear break down for wranglers) would that have any impact on off-roading?

Defenders definitely keep their value though, most of the ones in the US still sell for over $20K and they're 13 to 15 years old...

and I've seen plenty of Defenders from the early 80's on the island where i went to med school, truly amazing machines...

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
thanks for the advice.. what about the whole 6 gears with manual vs. 4 gears with automatic (that's the gear break down for wranglers) would that have any impact on off-roading?

Defenders definitely keep their value though, most of the ones in the US still sell for over $20K and they're 13 to 15 years old...

and I've seen plenty of Defenders from the early 80's on the island where i went to med school, truly amazing machines...
You rarely ever get out of 3rd gear when offroading unless you are cruisin on some fire roads at speed.

fakin' the funk

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
There aren't really that many SUVs built on truck platforms nowadays. If that's what you want, you can throw out all those car-based "crossovers" which as someone mentioned above look like minivans without the sliding doors, or in the case of the Infiniti, just a taller sedan (Maxima).

If you want to go in the $40K range, you could do a lot worse than a 4Runner or a Pathfinder. Higher end there are the Lexus SUVs built on the 4Runner platform, Armada, etc.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You rarely ever get out of 3rd gear when offroading unless you are cruisin on some fire roads at speed.

thanks, yeah you're right. but i am also going to use it as an everyday car thus the more gears for cruising might be better? anyway i don't want to take over this thread, thanks a lot for your help, i still have time so i'll do the research later.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I am soo happy!!! I found out that the Defender will be back to the US in 2012... Stricter European safety regulations finally caught up to US standards and so the new remodeled Defender will once again be upto US safety codes and will be sold in the US. Hopefully this won't be some wussy downgraded Defender.

However, I bet it's price tag will be equal to that of a Range Rover Sport, i.e. still out of range for my pocket.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/land-rover-defender-2012.html

panetrain

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2008
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
Going to hold onto my Land Rover Range Rover until its release and then trade up for one of these bad boys. Likely 60-80K depending on options. Worth it!

I am soo happy!!! I found out that the Defender will be back to the US in 2012... Stricter European safety regulations finally caught up to US standards and so the new remodeled Defender will once again be upto US safety codes and will be sold in the US. Hopefully this won't be some wussy downgraded Defender.

However, I bet it's price tag will be equal to that of a Range Rover Sport, i.e. still out of range for my pocket.

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
thanks, yeah you're right. but i am also going to use it as an everyday car thus the more gears for cruising might be better? anyway i don't want to take over this thread, thanks a lot for your help, i still have time so i'll do the research later.
When is the last time you ran out of gears in an automatic? THey usually have overdrive or 5 speeds and now they are even up to 6 or 7 speeds. You are thinking about gears the wrong way. Just because the manual has 6 doesn't mean an automatic with 5 is going to be worse on the highway. They are different.

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician

I've heard this many times before. I wouldn't count on the Defender coming to our markets anytime soon. But then again we are not dealing with Ford any longer. Maybe TATA (India's car maker that bought LR) will see it through. Hopefully, it will be a real diesel like TD5 but with better economy and much more torque. The 195 HP diesel they are describing is old and somewhat underpowered for the american consumer who wants street performance more than offroad performance.

Mar 28, 2010
Status

Land rovers are notorious for unreliability. If you lake taking your car to the shop every 4 weeks than get one. I used to have a discovery 2.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
When is the last time you ran out of gears in an automatic? THey usually have overdrive or 5 speeds and now they are even up to 6 or 7 speeds. You are thinking about gears the wrong way. Just because the manual has 6 doesn't mean an automatic with 5 is going to be worse on the highway. They are different.
thanks.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I've heard this many times before. I wouldn't count on the Defender coming to our markets anytime soon. But then again we are not dealing with Ford any longer. Maybe TATA (India's car maker that bought LR) will see it through. Hopefully, it will be a real diesel like TD5 but with better economy and much more torque. The 195 HP diesel they are describing is old and somewhat underpowered for the american consumer who wants street performance more than offroad performance.

from my understanding, the reasons behind not selling defenders in the US were a combination of not selling enough vehicles and then in 1998 there was a new regulation which required all vehicles sold in the US to have driver and front side airbags, a long with other safety features which weren't required in the other world markets and thus Land Rover would have to modify the defenders production just for the North American market which wasn't that great to begin with and so they chose to just focus on range rovers and discoveries because they sold more of them in the US.

now however, it seems that the rest of the world requires the same safety standards as are required in the US and so the defender becomes once again street legal in the US and selling it here wouldn't require drastic modifications as it did back in 1997/1998.

And I think they're going to use the 5.0L V8 in the defenders for the US market not a TD5.

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
Land rovers are notorious for unreliability. If you lake taking your car to the shop every 4 weeks than get one. I used to have a discovery 2.
As a current owner, I would tend to disagree. I think that the problems were with initial reliability. That is where they scored the worst of all brands. This included build quality issues, etc.
When I got my 04 Rover HSE it needed a new relay for the cruise control, a brake light and a new leather insert in the door. I also had the hood adjusted. After that, smooth sailing my friend. It has never left me stranded. They ARE expensive to maintain, compated to toyota, honda, ford, etc. However I don't think that they are much more unreliable than other European cars, nor more expensive to repair. I've got a couple of German ones as well to compare it to.

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I've had 2 Rovers now and I still own them both. One is the 97 D90 and the other a 2006 RRS. I have had very little in the way of maintenance on either one and reliability has been as good as anyone could want. But that's just my N of 2.

The problem you had was that you owned a Disco II. Those were unreliable.

AlfaAddict

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2008
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
1. I am a hard core car guy
2. This is a true story

Everyone in my family now drives a Land Rover and this is why. Last year my father, an Anesthesiologist, was driving his 1995 RR County LWB to the surgery center when he had a front blow out. He rolled it twice on a freeway interchange. The surgeon he was to be working with happened to see it and helped my father out of the Rover. He was completely fine, not a scratch on him! He left the Rover on the shoulder, hopped into the surgeon's car and performed an entire day worth of cases! The next day he bought a new RR sport and loves it! My mother has a new LR2, and I think it's the best small SUV on the market.

Attachments

Surfer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
1. I am a hard core car guy
2. This is a true story

Everyone in my family now drives a Land Rover and this is why. Last year my father, an Anesthesiologist, was driving his 1995 RR County LWB to the surgery center when he had a front blow out. He rolled it twice on a freeway interchange. The surgeon he was to be working with happened to see it and helped my father out of the Rover. He was completely fine, not a scratch on him! He left the Rover on the shoulder, hopped into the surgeon's car and performed an entire day worth of cases! The next day he bought a new RR sport and loves it! My mother has a new LR2, and I think it's the best small SUV on the market.
Wait, you all drive over-priced SUV's because somebody you know (n=1) rolled it and walked away? That makes NO SENSE. First of all, you shouldn't roll 3x just because your front tire blows. Why did it roll? Was it a design flaw or driver error? A chev malibu would have had a rumbling noise and you would have pulled over to the shoulder safely and without any further drama.