Landed A Unicorn Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Digsbe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unicorn jobs still exist. Landed a much lower stress specialty pharmacy gig where I have a desk and labor law protections (paid 15's and a lunch break). Got a pay raise when I accepted and I work in a large desirable metro area. Very fortunate to have the opportunity! Don't stop believing in mythical creatures.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 21 users
How did you get this new gig?

Congrats. Do share how you landed it to make us all believers again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unicorn jobs exist, you just need a solid plan to land one. Build your resume, acquire the skills and experience needed, and be willing to swallow your pride and live somewhere that isn't LA or NYC for a few years. I am by no means in a unicorn position right now, but I'm positioned well to transition into one in another year or two. The only thing keeping my position from being a "unicorn" is the location, because the workload and schedule is perfect.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a dream that I did... until I woke up today...

I'm on a rotation right now where my preceptor has a pretty good unicorn gig going for him. A consulting pharmacist for a family practice that does rounds with the med residents at the hospital across the street the first half of the day. He has appointments with diabetic patients once in a while, log meds (rare), and is just around waiting to be consulted by the family docs the second half of the day. My dream job pretty much.

Reactions: 3 users
I had worked with the hiring manager before and was told I have a good reputation within my company by several. It's still within the company just a different area/division in the same city.

What exactly is this the unicorn job you landed?

But the real question is...is it a standing desk?

Regular desk = unicorn
Standing desk = Uber unicorn
Treadmill desk = Path of totality eclipse unicorn

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users

Regular desk = unicorn

You and I have different priorities. To me:

Treadmill desk: hell
Standing desk: retail
Regular desk: unicorn
Regular desk with roller chair and a bouncy ball hidden in the drawer: uber unicorn
Regular desk with roller chair, bouncy ball inside, desktop aquarium, all inside a closed-door office: path of totality eclipse unicorn

Reactions: 3 users

Regular desk with roller chair and a bouncy ball hidden in the drawer: uber unicorn
Regular desk with roller chair, bouncy ball inside, desktop aquarium, all inside a closed-door office: path of totality eclipse unicorn

My coworker has a tiny toy aquarium on her desk inside our closed door pharmacy, so I would say she is pretty close to your final scenario.

desk /cubicle job as MTM pharm, underdesk elliptical, yoga ball as chair, paid lunch and unlimited breaks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had worked with the hiring manager before and was told I have a good reputation within my company by several. It's still within the company just a different area/division in the same city.

Ugh booooooooooooooooring

I have a work at home desk job with 10 hr shifts and would get neck and back pain if I sat for the entire shift even with a fancy Herman Miller Aeron and Embody chair. So I got an Ergotron WorkFit-S Sit-Stand monitor stand to switch between sitting and standing every so often and it works great.

Mine is pretty legit, LTC 9-6 has literally no stress, the only downside is that I have to work mon-fri compared to 3 or 4 12's with my last job, but it was stressful 24/7, and I've only worked 1 weekend day in the last 3 months compared to every 2nd or 3rd weekend

Mine is pretty legit, LTC 9-6 has literally no stress, the only downside is that I have to work mon-fri compared to 3 or 4 12's with my last job, but it was stressful 24/7, and I've only worked 1 weekend day in the last 3 months compared to every 2nd or 3rd weekend

Wow sweet gig. How so few weekends? Do you have to take any call?

I volunteer for weekends, ever try going to Costco or hell, the airport, on a Sunday? Makes you go bonkers.

Wow sweet gig. How so few weekends? Do you have to take any call?
Consultant RPh works every other and prn guys work most of them, I haven't had any call yet but could at some point, do you get paid per call day or per call? (call is similar, Consultant does call QOWeek and boss does call QOWeek unless on vacation)

Consultant RPh works every other and prn guys work most of them, I haven't had any call yet but could at some point, do you get paid per call day or per call? (call is similar, Consultant does call QOWeek and boss does call QOWeek unless on vacation)

Per call day. Plus if I have to go in I do get time paid from the time I leave my house to the time I arrived back at my house. Still I value my sleep far more than the pitons I make on call. ;)

Unicorn jobs still exist. Landed a much lower stress specialty pharmacy gig where I have a desk and labor law protections (paid 15's and a lunch break). Got a pay raise when I accepted and I work in a large desirable metro area. Very fortunate to have the opportunity! Don't stop believing in mythical creatures.

How is the salary? Is it as good as retails?

Per call day. Plus if I have to go in I do get time paid from the time I leave my house to the time I arrived back at my house. Still I value my sleep far more than the pitons I make on call. ;)

Y'all get paid for call days???

I get nothing for being on call. I only get paid if it is emergent enough that I actually have to go in.

I get nothing for being on call. I only get paid if it is emergent enough that I actually have to go in.

$25 for being on call during the week (7 hours), $50 for the weekends (13 hours). I didn't realize that some people weren't paid. Sorry to hear that, that really sucks.

$25 for being on call during the week (7 hours), $50 for the weekends (13 hours). I didn't realize that some people weren't paid. Sorry to hear that, that really sucks.

Most of the calls I take are simple: I can't find this in the OMNI, What allergy eye drop is on formulary, etc. It still stresses me out to be on call because I do have to go in some. A few dollars reward might relieve some of that stress :)

Regular desk = unicorn

For the Feds:

Regular desk = Hell (98% of the pharmacists in civil service)

Desk at home (Telework from home) = Ok

Desk wherever you go including coffee shop and other places (Mobile office) = Unicorn (My staff)

Desk wherever you go, whenever you decide to work (Mobile office, flexischedule) = Uber unicorn (My colleagues)

Desk wherever you go, whenever you decide to work, no dress or manners code when in actual office (Mobile office, flexischedule, civilian) = Path of totality eclipse unicorn (My job)

Desk wherever you go, whenever you decide to work, no dress or manners code when in actual office, and "entertainment" by the hour charged to the taxpayer or by your corrupt suppliers = My boss's official job (although his "entertainment" is being left alone away from everyone)

Desk wherever you go, whenever you decide to work, no dress or manners code when in actual office, "entertainment" by the hour charged to the taxpayer or by your corrupt suppliers, and being a complete perv in the office = The Inspector General service for my agency (Top VA Watchdog Resigned After Being Caught Masturbating On The Job). And yes, I had to work with this piece of work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This entire thread makes me want to tear my pharmacist license apart and find a new career.

I am coming from retail and got a decent raise.

Also get paid for being on call (we never get calls either).

A raise from retail? Surprising, way to go!

That's what I was told too. "Oh POD handles all the calls, you only get calls if it is something they can't handle, which is rare". Lies. All lies.

A true American hero.

You have to admire the confidence.

We knew of this for years, the guy stank of it literally (it was a private joke in the office to get fresh blood to shake his hand, and no, I never did as I was warned beforehand about the Conference Room stink). But who are you gonna call when the top LEO reports to this guy? In fact, he and his friends retaliated pretty hard against the couple of people who brought it up which his subordinates nicely covered up on his way out.

On the other hand, there's a group of people who figured out that with him as chief IG and photographic evidence from the cameras on him, he'd be willing to overlook a little...some...blatant misbehavior and corruption on our part. Best part is that he wouldn't polygraph when you can be compelled to (as in, that's usually an automatically termination offense under discipline for refusing). That's why even right now, there's a disregard for the IG service in VA that hasn't been washed away yet as anyone at the AIG or higher currently were complicit or outright protected him.

Just another day in the mediocre VA...By the way, if you even go into VACO Headquarters, those expensive chairs that haven't been replaced from the 1970s, yeah...It's why I still have the habit of getting one of those hard but sanitary plastic or metal chair from outside the conference room and making a ceremony of spraying it with the hospital cleaner (which has its own smell) in there while telling the story to people who are new to the VA and just how far the Whistleblower Act goes here. You'd be surprised at how many meetings become standing ones, and that the extra bu||sh|t gets excised and ends early once people know.

My old on call rate was $15/hr and 1.5x my hourly rate (minimum 4hrs) if I had to come in.

If I worked 10hrs that day (0600-1630), and took call at 0200-0600 just before coming in, I would have been paid for 14 hours as 10hrs regular, 2hrs @ 1.5x, and 2hrs @ 2x.

Most of the calls I take are simple: I can't find this in the OMNI, What allergy eye drop is on formulary, etc. It still stresses me out to be on call because I do have to go in some. A few dollars reward might relieve some of that stress :)

It was stressful because I was afraid of sleeping through a call...so I'd turn my ringer to max and picked this super stressful sounding ring tone that still freaks the **** out of me when I hear it.

Sometimes at CVS, when no one is looking, I like to slip a couple sildenafil into my belly button.

It was stressful because I was afraid of sleeping through a call...so I'd turn my ringer to max and picked this super stressful sounding ring tone that still freaks the **** out of me when I hear it.

That's my stress deal too. On call nights I wake up multiple times and check my phone...always scared I missed a call.

That's my stress deal too. On call nights I wake up multiple times and check my phone...always scared I missed a call.

My biggest fear too, and its happened a few times that I got a voicemail/missed call without ever hearing my phone go off! (luckily never during the night and I noticed not long after..)