SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Landed A Unicorn Job

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Digsbe, Aug 20, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Digsbe

Digsbe 5+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Pharmacist
    Unicorn jobs still exist. Landed a much lower stress specialty pharmacy gig where I have a desk and labor law protections (paid 15's and a lunch break). Got a pay raise when I accepted and I work in a large desirable metro area. Very fortunate to have the opportunity! Don't stop believing in mythical creatures.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies 5+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Where my ex's live
    How did you get this new gig?

4. bulldog1123

bulldog1123 2+ Year Member

May 8, 2014
    Congrats. Do share how you landed it to make us all believers again.

5. gwarm01

gwarm01 7+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Unicorn jobs exist, you just need a solid plan to land one. Build your resume, acquire the skills and experience needed, and be willing to swallow your pride and live somewhere that isn't LA or NYC for a few years. I am by no means in a unicorn position right now, but I'm positioned well to transition into one in another year or two. The only thing keeping my position from being a "unicorn" is the location, because the workload and schedule is perfect.

Dalteparin and steveysmith54 like this.
  6. KimChiSlap

KimChiSlap

Sep 10, 2016
    I had a dream that I did... until I woke up today...

steveysmith54 and Pharmacy Kid like this.
  7. Chriskahn

Chriskahn 2+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Best coast
    I'm on a rotation right now where my preceptor has a pretty good unicorn gig going for him. A consulting pharmacist for a family practice that does rounds with the med residents at the hospital across the street the first half of the day. He has appointments with diabetic patients once in a while, log meds (rare), and is just around waiting to be consulted by the family docs the second half of the day. My dream job pretty much.

8. Digsbe

Digsbe 5+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Pharmacist
    I had worked with the hiring manager before and was told I have a good reputation within my company by several. It's still within the company just a different area/division in the same city.

PhoenixFire and steveysmith54 like this.
  9. samven582

samven582 7+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2010
    What exactly is this the unicorn job you landed?

10. confettiflyer

confettiflyer Did you just say something? 10+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Best Coast
    But the real question is...is it a standing desk?

Regular desk = unicorn
    Standing desk = Uber unicorn
    Treadmill desk = Path of totality eclipse unicorn

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

njac, ABCPharmD, Dalteparin and 2 others like this.
  11. Rouelle

Rouelle 5+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Pharmacist
    PhD
    You and I have different priorities. To me:

Treadmill desk: hell
    Standing desk: retail
    Regular desk: unicorn
    Regular desk with roller chair and a bouncy ball hidden in the drawer: uber unicorn
    Regular desk with roller chair, bouncy ball inside, desktop aquarium, all inside a closed-door office: path of totality eclipse unicorn

12. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

My coworker has a tiny toy aquarium on her desk inside our closed door pharmacy, so I would say she is pretty close to your final scenario.

giga and Rouelle like this.
  13. Rouelle

Rouelle 5+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Pharmacist
    PhD
    Oh dear.

giga and owlegrad like this.
  14. sugarxoxo

sugarxoxo 7+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2009
    desk /cubicle job as MTM pharm, underdesk elliptical, yoga ball as chair, paid lunch and unlimited breaks.

steveysmith54 likes this.
  15. BenJammin

Jun 29, 2011
    Where my ex's live
    Ugh booooooooooooooooring

16. pezdispenser

pezdispenser 10+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2006
    I have a work at home desk job with 10 hr shifts and would get neck and back pain if I sat for the entire shift even with a fancy Herman Miller Aeron and Embody chair. So I got an Ergotron WorkFit-S Sit-Stand monitor stand to switch between sitting and standing every so often and it works great.

njac and steveysmith54 like this.
  17. Digsbe

Digsbe 5+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Pharmacist
    Sub-specialty mail order(ish) pharmacy.

PhoenixFire and steveysmith54 like this.
  18. mgarph

mgarph 2+ Year Member

May 6, 2015
    Mine is pretty legit, LTC 9-6 has literally no stress, the only downside is that I have to work mon-fri compared to 3 or 4 12's with my last job, but it was stressful 24/7, and I've only worked 1 weekend day in the last 3 months compared to every 2nd or 3rd weekend

owlegrad and steveysmith54 like this.
  19. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

Wow sweet gig. How so few weekends? Do you have to take any call?

20. confettiflyer

Dec 19, 2004
    Best Coast
    I volunteer for weekends, ever try going to Costco or hell, the airport, on a Sunday? Makes you go bonkers.

njac likes this.
  21. mgarph

mgarph 2+ Year Member

May 6, 2015
    Consultant RPh works every other and prn guys work most of them, I haven't had any call yet but could at some point, do you get paid per call day or per call? (call is similar, Consultant does call QOWeek and boss does call QOWeek unless on vacation)

owlegrad likes this.
  22. owlegrad

Per call day. Plus if I have to go in I do get time paid from the time I leave my house to the time I arrived back at my house. Still I value my sleep far more than the pitons I make on call. ;)

23. kdt110

kdt110 7+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2008
    How is the salary? Is it as good as retails?

24. Rouelle

Rouelle 5+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Pharmacist
    PhD
    Y'all get paid for call days???

I get nothing for being on call. I only get paid if it is emergent enough that I actually have to go in.

25. owlegrad

$25 for being on call during the week (7 hours), $50 for the weekends (13 hours). I didn't realize that some people weren't paid. Sorry to hear that, that really sucks.

26. Rouelle

Rouelle 5+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Pharmacist
    PhD
    Most of the calls I take are simple: I can't find this in the OMNI, What allergy eye drop is on formulary, etc. It still stresses me out to be on call because I do have to go in some. A few dollars reward might relieve some of that stress :)

owlegrad likes this.
  27. lord999

lord999 Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    Pharmacist
    Faculty
    For the Feds:

Regular desk = Hell (98% of the pharmacists in civil service)

Desk at home (Telework from home) = Ok

Desk wherever you go including coffee shop and other places (Mobile office) = Unicorn (My staff)

Desk wherever you go, whenever you decide to work (Mobile office, flexischedule) = Uber unicorn (My colleagues)

Desk wherever you go, whenever you decide to work, no dress or manners code when in actual office (Mobile office, flexischedule, civilian) = Path of totality eclipse unicorn (My job)

Desk wherever you go, whenever you decide to work, no dress or manners code when in actual office, and "entertainment" by the hour charged to the taxpayer or by your corrupt suppliers = My boss's official job (although his "entertainment" is being left alone away from everyone)

Desk wherever you go, whenever you decide to work, no dress or manners code when in actual office, "entertainment" by the hour charged to the taxpayer or by your corrupt suppliers, and being a complete perv in the office = The Inspector General service for my agency (Top VA Watchdog Resigned After Being Caught Masturbating On The Job). And yes, I had to work with this piece of work.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    giga, Saiyo, Rouelle and 2 others like this.
  28. Digsbe

Digsbe 5+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Pharmacist
    I am coming from retail and got a decent raise.

Also get paid for being on call (we never get calls either).

DynamicMD, Rouelle and owlegrad like this.
  29. BenJammin

Jun 29, 2011
    Where my ex's live
    This entire thread makes me want to tear my pharmacist license apart and find a new career.

Saiyo and owlegrad like this.
  30. owlegrad

A raise from retail? Surprising, way to go!

That's what I was told too. "Oh POD handles all the calls, you only get calls if it is something they can't handle, which is rare". Lies. All lies.

Saiyo likes this.
  31. gwarm01

gwarm01 7+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2009
    njac, PangoPillPusher and owlegrad like this.
  32. lord999

lord999 Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2002
    DC
    Pharmacist
    Faculty
    We knew of this for years, the guy stank of it literally (it was a private joke in the office to get fresh blood to shake his hand, and no, I never did as I was warned beforehand about the Conference Room stink). But who are you gonna call when the top LEO reports to this guy? In fact, he and his friends retaliated pretty hard against the couple of people who brought it up which his subordinates nicely covered up on his way out.

On the other hand, there's a group of people who figured out that with him as chief IG and photographic evidence from the cameras on him, he'd be willing to overlook a little...some...blatant misbehavior and corruption on our part. Best part is that he wouldn't polygraph when you can be compelled to (as in, that's usually an automatically termination offense under discipline for refusing). That's why even right now, there's a disregard for the IG service in VA that hasn't been washed away yet as anyone at the AIG or higher currently were complicit or outright protected him.

Just another day in the mediocre VA...By the way, if you even go into VACO Headquarters, those expensive chairs that haven't been replaced from the 1970s, yeah...It's why I still have the habit of getting one of those hard but sanitary plastic or metal chair from outside the conference room and making a ceremony of spraying it with the hospital cleaner (which has its own smell) in there while telling the story to people who are new to the VA and just how far the Whistleblower Act goes here. You'd be surprised at how many meetings become standing ones, and that the extra bu||sh|t gets excised and ends early once people know.

Saiyo likes this.
  33. confettiflyer

Dec 19, 2004
    Best Coast
    My old on call rate was $15/hr and 1.5x my hourly rate (minimum 4hrs) if I had to come in.

If I worked 10hrs that day (0600-1630), and took call at 0200-0600 just before coming in, I would have been paid for 14 hours as 10hrs regular, 2hrs @ 1.5x, and 2hrs @ 2x.

34. confettiflyer

Dec 19, 2004
    Best Coast
    It was stressful because I was afraid of sleeping through a call...so I'd turn my ringer to max and picked this super stressful sounding ring tone that still freaks the sh*t out of me when I hear it.

35. Phart

Phart Party at the pill factory

Jul 1, 2017
    Sometimes at CVS, when no one is looking, I like to slip a couple sildenafil into my belly button.

36. Rouelle

Rouelle 5+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Pharmacist
    PhD
    That's my stress deal too. On call nights I wake up multiple times and check my phone...always scared I missed a call.

Saiyo likes this.
  37. Saiyo

Saiyo 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2010
    BFE
    My biggest fear too, and its happened a few times that I got a voicemail/missed call without ever hearing my phone go off! (luckily never during the night and I noticed not long after..)

Rouelle likes this.
  38. Digsbe

Digsbe 5+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Pharmacist
    Oddest case of a distended abdomen to hit the ER.