Langley closing labor deck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacherman84

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pregnant military women were told Langley's maternity ward is closing, but base officials won't explain

Anyone closer to this situation? It seems like something that will happen more places in the near future with the changes in MilMed, but the article seems like this 60-day notice blindsided their patient population.

Members don't see this ad.

"An earlier statement from the spokesman referred to the base transitioning "to a new model of health care delivery," but no further details were available."

The AF has been shifting their patients to the other service's MTFs steadily over the past decade. Look at the DC and San Antonio areas. The local civilians don't take Tricare Prime because its a massive money loser and they have no reason to subsidize the military. The docs at Langley have always relied on Portsmouth to cover "shared" call responsibilities. Langley will go the way of Malcolm Grow and Wilford Hall.

So close, become a superclinic, or an ambulatory surgical center.... I know Wilford Hall is an amb surg center now. What, if anything, is Malcolm Grow now...havent thought of them since 2014.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the move to super clinic is inevitable for a lot of these small MTFs, even the ones with GME, as we saw with Pensacola a few years ago.
What amazes me is the command is still refusing to announce what's going on and these women were given essentially 60 day notice to find new OBs...especially those in their 3rd trimester.

NMCSD closing 3 branch clinics and pushing their retirees out in town as well. Here we go.

Was there official notice on this put out? Any more details?

Not that I know of, hearing from a friend that’s stationed out there. She just said 3 clinics that are retiree and dependent only only so I don’t know which ones those are.

Edited to add: I’m not trying to be reactionary or pass bad info. But I think this is important to talk about because things are happening in silos right now without communicating them to the actual decision makers (Congress) and without input from the beneficiaries of the system. It’s not right. So people need to talk about the changes that are being made. I don’t understand the secrecy - we’re all gonna know eventually. If the MHS or DOD is whoever is putting the secrecy requirement on this is stuff feels like they have to hide what they’re doing, then it’s probably not the right thing to do.

I don’t think it’s secrecy in the sense that there is hidden grand plan. They have no idea what they are doing.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t think it’s secrecy in the sense that there is hidden grand plan. They have no idea what they are doing.

I get the sense that all of these decisions are being made from a human resource point of view without considering the clinical repercussions of their actions, and they aren’t actually making them with enough forethought to include a grand announcement.

Just less than 10 years ago, there was a huge push to build off-post clinics to serve the dependent/retiree segment of the DoD population (at least in the army). I know for a fact that at least 3 of these clinics were built around Fr Bragg filled with PAs, NPs, MDs and mental health professionals. If it is true that these clinics are starting to be shut-down and the affected population pushed out into civilian medicine, this is infuriating. A bunch of brand new buildings with no staff to run them? What a waste of tax dollars.

In addition, do they really think (or care) that private health care providers in the community will step in and absorb these patients for Medicaid (or lower) reimbursement rates? Not going to happen.

The medical leadership in the military is a complete joke.