Language certificate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BYU4you

Loma Linda University - OMFS
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I got back a couple of months ago from a "Mormon mission" in Ukraine. While I was there I picked up how to speak Russian.
Because I am at BYU they actually don't let minor in Russian.
They do offer a test that will test my skills and I can earn a Language Certificate and it will be on my records and stuff. Or I can even double major.

I love Russian and all, but that's just even more classes to take. Would having a double major in Russian or the certificate make an application stand out any more than if I just wrote down that I lived there and speak Russian?

I also took one class and tested out of another few giving me 16 credits for the class. So those will be on the transcript as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Its just another part of the application.

In the end, if there are two identical applicants but one is a double major in Russian, I would pick the double major.

However, a double major is not required for admission and therefore will probably be looked at as simply a "plus" rather than being a "game changer". In my opinion. My double major was Korean comparative lit and it was not really ever discussed in interviews.

PM me if you have questions or want to do lab work at the Y.

its just another part of the application.

In the end, if there are two identical applicants but one is a double major in russian, i would pick the double major.

However, a double major is not required for admission and therefore will probably be looked at as simply a "plus" rather than being a "game changer".

+1