Laparoscopic Artificial Insemination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melissa.a

Reaction score
Hey all,

I haven’t been able to get a straight answer from many vets I have spoken to in my area, but I was wondering, to do laparoscopic artificial insemination on small ruminants such as sheep and goats, do you have to be a DVM? Is it possible to be an RVT and work under a DVM to be able to do LAI? I am currently studying reproductive physiology, and can’t see myself doing everything that entails going to vet school, so I wanted to see if there was a way to be able to do strictly reproductive services both surgical and nonsurgical, without having to go to vet school. I am curious what the options are.

Members don't see this ad.

Horse repro barns can have repro managers who don't need to be DVMs. You can do lots of repro work that way (collections, preg checks, ART, etc.) but definitely nothing surgical.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even with horses you still need to be a DVM in order to legally perform ultrasounds... sure a lay person can perform the AI, but without ultrasounds to get optimum timing it’s a huge pain to just keep collecting the stud and AI-ing the mare u til she goes out of heat...

Even with horses you still need to be a DVM in order to legally perform ultrasounds... sure a lay person can perform the AI, but without ultrasounds to get optimum timing it’s a huge pain to just keep collecting the stud and AI-ing the mare u til she goes out of heat...
I don't think that's a legal requirement? At least in AZ, the manager I knew did ultrasounds without a DVM present. It was run through my University so I'm pretty sure they were doing things the right way.

Reactions: 1 users
If you really like repro consider looking into being an AI person for a large dairy through like ABS global. But yeah definitely no surgical stuff unless you're a DVM. I'm sure there are also state variations that limit what a non DVM can and cant do.

I don't think that's a legal requirement? At least in AZ, the manager I knew did ultrasounds without a DVM present. It was run through my University so I'm pretty sure they were doing things the right way.
Being at a university they are likely a licensed tech of some sort covered under the vets liability.

As a breeder that stands two stallions in MN I cannot Legally perform ultrasounds on client mares and CHARGE for it. If I were to rupture anything rectally while performing an ultrasound I would be liable.

Being at a university they are likely a licensed tech of some sort covered under the vets liability.

As a breeder that stands two stallions in MN I cannot Legally perform ultrasounds on client mares and CHARGE for it. If I were to rupture anything rectally while performing an ultrasound I would be liable.
Perhaps it's a state difference as in CO I'm fairly certain you dont have to be a dvm to do U/S. However even as a vet you are still liable for rectal tears especially if you didnt explain that risk to the client. If you dont explain that risk its definitely coming back on you. What we are saying is you dont have to be a dvm to do us. Work under a vet perhaps but you dont have to be a dvm as I know my dvm was going to send a tech to us school. Still operating under a dvm but not a dvm.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

I haven’t been able to get a straight answer from many vets I have spoken to in my area, but I was wondering, to do laparoscopic artificial insemination on small ruminants such as sheep and goats, do you have to be a DVM? Is it possible to be an RVT and work under a DVM to be able to do LAI? I am currently studying reproductive physiology, and can’t see myself doing everything that entails going to vet school, so I wanted to see if there was a way to be able to do strictly reproductive services both surgical and nonsurgical, without having to go to vet school. I am curious what the options are.
To my knowledge, the laparoscopic AI procedure in sheep involves sedation with xylazine and a small abdominal incision, so yes, you need a DVM to do that. Surgical stuff = you need to be a licensed vet.

There are a lot of options for non-surgical reproductive work that you definitely do not need a DVM for -- particularly in dairy cows. It's an area that has a lot of opportunities for future growth imo.

If you're interested specifically in small ruminants, I might consider contacting one of the vet schools that has advanced reproductive services to ask them about non-DVM career options related to the field. Iowa State comes to mind, and my school (Tufts) also does some work with SR reproduction. The vets in charge of that stuff at my school might be a bit slow to respond, but they're very nice and I bet they would be happy to talk to you since this isn't a huge field & I've noticed they tend to get excited about people showing interest :)

Last edited:
To add to this, there is a ton of opportunity for surgical experience in lab animal medicine. I currently work as a research tech and have been able to scrub into numerous surgeries including laparoscopic procedures. The majority of surgeries (done on all types of species) are not done by the vets but by study directors. Just wanted to let people know of that option too!

Perhaps it's a state difference as in CO I'm fairly certain you dont have to be a dvm to do U/S. However even as a vet you are still liable for rectal tears especially if you didnt explain that risk to the client. If you dont explain that risk its definitely coming back on you. What we are saying is you dont have to be a dvm to do us. Work under a vet perhaps but you dont have to be a dvm as I know my dvm was going to send a tech to us school. Still operating under a dvm but not a dvm.

Just to add some anecdotes - at my undergrad equine repro barn, we students (though specially selected for an internship), were taught and then in charge of, among other breeding duties, US the herd of 30-something horses. That said! We were legally only allowed to this on school-owned animals. Client mares were done by DVMs! :) This is in California. I have so many pictures of my friends and I with arms up a horse butt.

Last edited:
Just to add some anecdotes - at my undergrad equine repro barn, we students (though specially selected for an internship), were taught and then in charge of, among other breeding duties, US the herd of 30-something horses. That said! We were legally only allowed to this on school-owned animals. Client mares were done by DVMs! :) This is in California. I have so many pictures of my friends and I with arms up a horse butt.

The line gets drawn between legal and not legal when a lay person starts actually charging to ultrasound client mares.

Anybody can attend an ultrasound short course offered and learn how to do it- it does not mean they can charge clients for something that is considered performing veterinary medicine. They can legally do it on personally owned stock though.

I’ve gone rounds with my vets trying to understand certain gray areas like reproduction, and equine dentistry.