laproscopy on 17 year old girl?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vasiley Zaitsev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
17 yr old girl..history of heavy bleeeds (every other month), and severe cramping. The doc wants a lap. Why would a doc want to do this? Endometriosis? Or what? I'm really stupid when it comes to OB/GYN things.

Thx in advance,

owcc16

Members don't see this ad.

Endometriosis would certainly be on the differential diagnosis given the limited information you've given me. Sometimes the best way to ascertain the cause of a problem, when all non-invasive techniques have been used, is to simply take a look.

Not being the physician in question, I (nor anyone else) cannot speculate on his exact reasons for doing a laparoscopic exploration of the abdomen but it is an accepted diagnostic and treatment tool in certain conditions.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Kimberli Cox:
•Endometriosis would certainly be on the differential diagnosis given the limited information you've given me. Sometimes the best way to ascertain the cause of a problem, when all non-invasive techniques have been used, is to simply take a look.

Not being the physician in question, I (nor anyone else) cannot speculate on his exact reasons for doing a laparoscopic exploration of the abdomen but it is an accepted diagnostic and treatment tool in certain conditions.•••••Thanks Kim..

but what would some of those conditions (under which it is an accepted diag and trt tool) be?

owcc16

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi owl,

There are numerous OB/GYN indications for a diag. lap.

Here are just a few that I could remember of the top of my head:

1. Endometriosis
2. Fibroids
3. Ectopic preg.
4. Ovarian cyst
5. CA ovary

This is just from memory, so I am sure I am missing a ton more!!

Pretty much anything to look at: the uterus from the outside, the ovaries, or the adnexal tissue.

Hope this helps.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by navs:
•Hi owl,

There are numerous OB/GYN indications for a diag. lap.

Here are just a few that I could remember of the top of my head:

1. Endometriosis
2. Fibroids
3. Ectopic preg.
4. Ovarian cyst
5. CA ovary

This is just from memory, so I am sure I am missing a ton more!!

Pretty much anything to look at: the uterus from the outside, the ovaries, or the adnexal tissue.

Hope this helps.•••••thanks..I know it's not a preg, but everything else helps.

BTW...

this is realyl embarassing, but I'm having a colonscopy on monday..looking for cancer, among other things. I'm scared ****less. How bad is the procedure? no laughing pls.. :(

owcc16

Ugghhh... doesn't sound like fun :( Most people I know that have been scoped have reported that it is embarrassing rather than truly physically uncomfortable. I wish you well and hope everything's okay.

Mindy

Actually most patients are somewhat uncomfortable (not uncommon to hear a fair bit of moaning and groaning) DURING the procedure but thanks to sedation provided usually remember little of the event. Embarassing yes, but if there is a question of CR CA having a look is the best way to go.

Best of luck to you...

Hey owl,

I would figure it would be a little uncomfortable, as u could imagine, physically.

But with the sedation they give I wouldn't be too scared!!

Good luck.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by owcc16:
•17 yr old girl..history of heavy bleeeds (every other month), and severe cramping. The doc wants a lap. Why would a doc want to do this? Endometriosis? Or what? I'm really stupid when it comes to OB/GYN things. •••••I had this exact procedure done when I was 19. I had a history of extreme abdominal cramping/pain but nothing more specific than that. I was referred to an OB/GYN guy (evil man) and he did a laproscopy looking for endometriosis and a variety of other female problems. He didn't find anything and my pain continued. I went to a general surgeon who did another laproscopy and discovered I had a smouldering appendicitis.

So, you're on the right track with your thinking. Kim Cox and the others have given you a nice list of what other things the doc could be looking for. I'm just telling you to be cautious, since the problem might not be what you think it is. What can I say? I'm paranoid ever since I was walking around with appendicitis for 8 months and a surgeon missed it :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Kadyra:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by owcc16:
•17 yr old girl..history of heavy bleeeds (every other month), and severe cramping. The doc wants a lap. Why would a doc want to do this? Endometriosis? Or what? I'm really stupid when it comes to OB/GYN things. •••••I had this exact procedure done when I was 19. I had a history of extreme abdominal cramping/pain but nothing more specific than that. I was referred to an OB/GYN guy (evil man) and he did a laproscopy looking for endometriosis and a variety of other female problems. He didn't find anything and my pain continued. I went to a general surgeon who did another laproscopy and discovered I had a smouldering appendicitis.

So, you're on the right track with your thinking. Kim Cox and the others have given you a nice list of what other things the doc could be looking for. I'm just telling you to be cautious, since the problem might not be what you think it is. What can I say? I'm paranoid ever since I was walking around with appendicitis for 8 months and a surgeon missed it :wink: •••••thanks...I'm not the one having a lap, I'm a guy. haha..that's a girlfriend of mine....

I'm the colonoscopy cuz..yikes!

owcc16

A smoldering appendicitis for 8 months? The natural history of that disease is usually much shorter.

But I digress... If this is a true Ob/Gyn problem, they should do pelvic (transvaginal) ultrasound to look for fibriods, ovarian cysts/cancer, endometriosis, ectopic pregnancy, etc. If they find that this is a case of fibriods causing the problem, interventional radiologists are doing uterine fibriod embolization. They give you local anesthesia so it will not be painful. Then, they make a small puncture in the femoral artery (thigh)and thread a catheter to the artery feeding the fibriod(s) and then they inject coils to cut off that blood supply. In most cases, the fibriods shrink and the pelvic pain and bleeding goes away. No need for hysterectomy (especially if you want a family) or living with the pain and bleeding anymore!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Voxel:
•An smoldering appendicitis for 8 months? The natural history of that disease is usually much shorter.•••••Yeah. It happens. It didn't burst, but it was infected and nasty and obviously elongated according to the surgeon who removed it. They missed it for that long because my white count never rose and abdominal pain is sometimes kind of nonspecific. I still like to talk smack about the gynecologist who was actually examining my large intestine (as stated in his notes from surgery) and missed it. I guess that could happen, too though. But jeez! I still don't feel any better about it.

Hi Voxel,

Yeah ur right they could do that, but just because ur a future radio. guy doesn't mean it is the ONLY way to handle this case.

I believe MOST OB/GYN would still like to try drugs before going to an interventional approach (Endometriosis).

But good thinking!!

As one who has had a colonoscopy I can attest to the fact that it actually is not that bad. You are sedated and do not remember the procedure. I told my gastroenterologist that I wanted a case of the sedation drugs to take home as I thought it was fabulous!

This was years ago, long before I even thought of going to med school, though I was interested in medicine even then. Because of this, he let me look through the scope twice while he was doing the procedure. Luckily I do remeber that part of the procedure as I thought it was a big thrill to be able to see that! So 2 memories, but no memory of the discomfort or embarrasment! :D

Voxel,

My bad, I looked at ur post again, I guess u were talking about interventional approaches for a fibroid.

In that case ur idea is a sounds like a great alternative for women still wanting to complete a family!!

Got my colonscopy...sweet drugs, so it wasn't that bad..

however, teh doc biopsied a growth......now I'm freaking out. I'm only 19, so hwo could I have cancer in my colon!?

owcc16

If you are talking about polyps, just remember there are many different types of polyps with little to no cancerous potential. He most likely biopsied a hyperplastic polyp which does not have any malignant potential. Just ask him what he found and if there is any risk of cancer. There are some syndromes which predispose the colon to many polyps and colon cancer, but these are much rarer than hyperplastic polyps. So that's why one needs to know how many polyps were seen and biopsied and what the pathology report says.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Voxel:
•If you are talking about polyps, just remember there are many different types of polyps with little to no cancerous potential. He most likely biopsied a hyperplastic polyp which does not have any malignant potential. Just ask him what he found and if there is any risk of cancer. There are some syndromes which predispose the colon to many polyps and colon cancer, but these are much rarer than hyperplastic polyps. So that's why one needs to know how many polyps were seen and biopsied and what the pathology report says.•••••tenks voxel..he said the report will be in within a few days. Thing I don't understand, is that he already scheduled another colonoscopy for 3-4 wks from now..

owcc16