Laptop Computer to SGU ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HavanaGuy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I will be in the island in 2 weeks and I am wonfdering if one really needs alaptop down there, what the elcetricity is like? and if they charge customs fees when you bring it in and out of Grenada.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to an SGU open house and they strongly suggested it. Not sure about the electric or customs (I doubt that there are charges but I'm not positive) Why don't you send them an email?

The vast majority of laptops have universal adaptors (110V-240V). At most, you might need a socket adaptor, not a step-down transformer. Just double check the input voltage on your laptop's adaptor to make sure it's universal (it should be).

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if Grenada is similar to Mexico (where I went to school), but you'll most likely want to get one of those mega-surge protectors, too.

it is suggested that one has a laptop, they even give the minimum specs that it should have:

128mb ram, 500mhz processor, windows me, 6gb hard drive, 100mb zip, floppy, and cd rom 24X, dial up modem, and usb port, ethernet, 110-230 v power supply (most new laptops already come with adapter that will use 110-230 v), etc

i also read somewhere, i can't find it now, that costumes charges 5% tax to bring one into the country . . . so if you bring one, i would be prepared to shell out some money. my laptop cost about $2000, so i am going to have at least $100 us to make sure.

a surge proctecter is a must as well, we are talking third world here, definitely a likely possibility for power to surge . . .

if you have any more questions, i would call the new york office, they have an 800 number . . .

best of luck