Quantcast

Laptop Computer to SGU ???

Application is now open for MD & PhD 2022 Intake
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HavanaGuy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I will be in the island in 2 weeks and I am wonfdering if one really needs alaptop down there, what the elcetricity is like? and if they charge customs fees when you bring it in and out of Grenada.
Thanks!!

jms2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to an SGU open house and they strongly suggested it. Not sure about the electric or customs (I doubt that there are charges but I'm not positive) Why don't you send them an email?

The Pill Counter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of laptops have universal adaptors (110V-240V). At most, you might need a socket adaptor, not a step-down transformer. Just double check the input voltage on your laptop's adaptor to make sure it's universal (it should be).

dwstranger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if Grenada is similar to Mexico (where I went to school), but you'll most likely want to get one of those mega-surge protectors, too.

jdub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it is suggested that one has a laptop, they even give the minimum specs that it should have:

128mb ram, 500mhz processor, windows me, 6gb hard drive, 100mb zip, floppy, and cd rom 24X, dial up modem, and usb port, ethernet, 110-230 v power supply (most new laptops already come with adapter that will use 110-230 v), etc

i also read somewhere, i can't find it now, that costumes charges 5% tax to bring one into the country . . . so if you bring one, i would be prepared to shell out some money. my laptop cost about $2000, so i am going to have at least $100 us to make sure.

a surge proctecter is a must as well, we are talking third world here, definitely a likely possibility for power to surge . . .

if you have any more questions, i would call the new york office, they have an 800 number . . .

best of luck

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.