Laptop fees at WUCOMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mig2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys know what the mandatory $1,250 "Laptop" fee is all about?

mig

Members don't see this ad.

Mig, I was actually thinking about posting that same question. Does this mean for those students who have computer/laptop, the $1250.00 fee is waived? Or is this a fee for the use of computer facility?

I'm ASSUMING that its for using their computers/laptop jacks. I will call the school on Tues and find out whats going on.

If laptops are mandatory, I would prefer to buy my own then pay them for a 1,250 laptop.

mig

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the bursar and asked. We do get a laptop. Sorry ISAC people, probably not until August registration. I would imagine at least part of the fee is for the installation and maintenance of the new network connections in the classrooms, so I doubt the entire fee would be waivable if you have your own laptop.
I plan to get a hold of the IT people at WUCOMP so we'll know what type of computer we're getting (what can this puppy do?)
It's kinda exciting folks. Other schools have some really interesing interaction going on in the classroom with the use of their laptops and networks.
I'll post more once I get details.

ACK!! This sucks! I dont want some joe-schmoe to buy me the laptop! I would rather get a list of required features and buy the laptop myself!! (I have my eye on the nice purple sony Vaio) Oh well... *sniff*

miglo

Those Sonys are pretty nice. I'm still torn between a Dell or a Sony for my computing needs.

Laptop fees w/ provided laptops??? We never had to do that & I am trying to figure out WHY? For notes??

Check if they still charge you a curriculum fee b/c that is what provides the notes for the entire class.

Hmmmm......this is all very interesting!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS III

hey everyone!

just got off the phone with the asst. treasurer at COMP. Just found out that the $1250 IS MANDATORY AND CANNOT BE WAIVED AT ALL and get this....we get charged $1250 every year for the next 4 years!!!

I debated with him about it and he gave me something about that these laptops "are specifically configured to work with COMP's network and that our laptops may not be compatible". yeah right. also, that as a bonus, we can upgrade after 2 years to a better model and keep it after med school. YIPEE. $5000 to buy a laptop. the fees are also used to pay for the installation of the network and its maintenance.

I asked if it was absolutely necessary and if the laptops will be integrated into the curriculum. Apparantly that is the goal. But I still think students can do the same and maybe even better without it. C'mon! I already own a computer! for me that's 2 months of rent!!!!

<sigh> guess there's nothing we can do about it but just take it up the a$$. But after a year, if I don't find that damn laptop integrated and useful to me in the curriculum, you can bet Student Affairs will be hearing from me.

Oh, by the way, the laptop is a IBM ThinkPad 500 Mhz MMX Celeron Processor with a 56K modem, 64 Meg RAM with a carrying case and Windows 98 package, and ethernet card. Also, they would be paying to repair any damage the laptop may incur.

Your fellow COMPer

Arnold
http://members.xoom.com/omasucsd/logo.htm

soooooo in "theory" I can drop it as many times as i want and they will replace it??
smile.gif

hahahha...your laptop might not be "compatible"...thats funny. they must think everyone is dumb or something. oh well, whats 1.2k more on top of the 30k right?

I feel for you guys, that's rough.

That sucks -- did they tell you about this crap during the interview?

go to bb.westernu.edu for the Inside scoup

(see previous posts)

logon: laptop
password: laptop

the Insider

A word of caution:

Calling the school will get you practically nowhere. The secretaries, bursars, treasureres, etc., don't know WTF is up, and frankly, many of them are angry as are some of us.

Basically this was an administration top down decision, made for reasons already posted. The fee is in fact mandatory, even if one already has a computer.

Rest assured that I'm working on that, and I'll be talking face to face very soon with the powers that be to work something out so people who have computers--that is portable computers, don't get shafted.

Our University is going through growing pains...no?

Muahhahaha,

Insider

bb.westernu.edu

The same fee for the next four years!!! Are you sure? Heck, I don't even expect to be on campus much the last couple of years.
No, they didn't mention it at the interview. In fact, I wasn't notified of the fees until after making $2000 in non-refundable deposits.
I wouldn't suggest dropping them too much. It can only make the fees go higher.