Large Pre-NAPLEX v. NAPLEX score discrepancies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y0ssarian87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Pre-NAPLEX this past Sunday without having studied for it and got a 124. Has anyone heard of extremely large score discrepancies between the Pre-NAPLEX v. the actual NAPLEX? Should I be concerned at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Pre-NAPLEX this past Sunday without having studied for it and got a 124. Has anyone heard of extremely large score discrepancies between the Pre-NAPLEX v. the actual NAPLEX? Should I be concerned at all?

You're comparing apples to oranges.

If you scored over 100 in the pre-naplex, you actual score will be 100 points lower that what you got in the pre-naplex

You're comparing apples to oranges.
Perhaps. Based on anecdotal data from classmates, I find it hard to believe that there is no correlation between pre-NAPLEX scores and actual NAPLEX scores. I took the NAPLEX a couple weeks ago though, and my actual NAPLEX score remained very comfortably above the cut-off for merely passing. When I posted this, I was honestly just nervous about the fact that I hadn't studied. I suppose I wanted reassurance that it was okay to not study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps. Based on anecdotal data from classmates, I find it hard to believe that there is no correlation between pre-NAPLEX scores and actual NAPLEX scores. I took the NAPLEX a couple weeks ago though, and my actual NAPLEX score remained very comfortably above the cut-off for merely passing. When I posted this, I was honestly just nervous about the fact that I hadn't studied. I suppose I wanted reassurance that it was okay to not study.

Both tests are structured differently. The Naplex I took, was adaptive. The pre-Naplex was linear then. Thus, you were definitely comparing apples to oranges then. Now with the new Naplex, NABP still tells you the pre-Naplex is nothing but a collection of retired Naplex questions to help you get a feel of the test. The pre-Naplex is likely not standardized. They let you take it. You answer the questions. They tell you how many you got wrong - done. You get a score.

My results are a clear example that there is no correlation nor causality between the two scores.
Pre-Naplex 67
Naplex 107

The score on the pre-Naplex may not predict your performance on the Naplex. But if you fail it, and you sulk in your tub until you take the Naplex, who knows? you might just waste enough time to actually fail the Naplex. It's what you do with that piece of information what may influence your performance. I dissected my results and quickly saw the my math was nowhere near where it should have been. So I restructured my studying and math became a priority and I turned it into my strength. By the time I took that test, math was definitely a strength. I got around 20 calculations on test which back then meant you likely missed a few, but a solid performance overall and the adaptive system didn't feel the need to murder you.

Reactions: 1 user