Larkin College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DarkHorizon

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WTF is this world coming to? Larkin hospital was the biggest ****hole I rotated through, it was worse than many 3rd world country hospitals I have seen. The hospital and their owner were investigated for medicare an insurance fraud and paid up millions.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2006/November/06_civ_803.html

What is wrong with DO accreditation body? Why would you want to associate the whole profession with a place like this, absolutely disgusting.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...arkin-hospital-unveils-plan-for.html?page=all
 
Last edited:
Hey, don't bash Larkin. I learned a ton there. I learned that you can be a second year family medicine resident and not have a clue how to manage diabetes. I learned that a team of six internal medicine residents can take care of six patients total and still be at work past 10 am in the morning. I learned that you can be the most senior resident in the room and be okay with not knowing how to identify the descending aorta on CT scan. I learned you can make residents work nights there and not provide them with an open cafeteria or a place to sleep. I also learned that you are not supervised from intern year on and can still graduate with a great salary.
 
Hey, don't bash Larkin. I learned a ton there. I learned that you can be a second year family medicine resident and not have a clue how to manage diabetes. I learned that a team of six internal medicine residents can take care of six patients total and still be at work past 10 am in the morning. I learned that you can be the most senior resident in the room and be okay with not knowing how to identify the descending aorta on CT scan. I learned you can make residents work nights there and not provide them with an open cafeteria or a place to sleep. I also learned that you are not supervised from intern year on and can still graduate with a great salary.

Well, that's frightening.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, don't bash Larkin. I learned a ton there. I learned that you can be a second year family medicine resident and not have a clue how to manage diabetes. I learned that a team of six internal medicine residents can take care of six patients total and still be at work past 10 am in the morning. I learned that you can be the most senior resident in the room and be okay with not knowing how to identify the descending aorta on CT scan. I learned you can make residents work nights there and not provide them with an open cafeteria or a place to sleep. I also learned that you are not supervised from intern year on and can still graduate with a great salary.

Lol I've been in med school for eight weeks and I can do that.
 
Larkin is a for-profit hospital owned by an MD. An MD!! Guys, that COCA would approve a school owned by an MD is troubling. I'm starting to worry about our core principles and distinctiveness.
 
Well, apparently not as many people are as upset about this schools as they were about Liberty... no ones commenting. I'm surprised this thread hasn't taken off like most 'new school' threads do.

people are just worn out with the AOA/COCA/ACOFP. at this point, nothing surprises me.
 
Larkin is a for-profit hospital owned by an MD. An MD!! Guys, that COCA would approve a school owned by an MD is troubling. I'm starting to worry about our core principles and distinctiveness.

Is this the hospital you are talking about?

http://larkinhospital.com/site/

It seems to have good ratings. Are all community hospitals this bad?


As for the cheapening of Osteopathy, well, I have said before:

DO 'principles' and 'distinctiveness' are bologna (that's BUH-LOW-NEE. Like the word Colonel...KER-NUL. Or the word bull****).

DO schools should not exist. Please stop supporting the nonsense. All DO schools should confer the MD degree. Those who want to learn OMM may learn it as an elective. I would highly support that. I can barely tolerate the cult-like professors at Osteopathic medical schools who think they are somehow special snowflakes who are 'distinct' from MDs. They are naive adults. Osteopathy and its worthless board exams need to end. Students enter Osteopathic medical schools because they could not gain acceptance to an allopathic program. That's why I entered. That's why most of my classmates entered. Stop masquerading behind your 'holy hands' and whatever 'banner you throw to the breeze.' Take the USMLE like a physician who wants WORDLDWIDE respect. If you want that--earn it, by jumping over (or through, or whatever) the gold standard board exam.

As I have alluded to or said before--I would NEVER encourage any Osteopathic graduate to pursue an AOA residency. The Step 1 exams and the ACGME are the WORLDWIDE gold standards. Don't cheapen that with your silly Comlex nonsense (that's right: COMLEX, not the comPlex--it's NOT an apartment building. It's a test. Spell it right). No one respects, cares or gives a rat's ass about it and no one ever will.

The reason DO schools exist in the first place is that the allopathic/MD/AMA, etc., have made a concerted effort since the 1930s to artificially hold down the number of physicians. Naturally, another sort of 'physician' would evolve because, frankly, the public demanded it. The need for more physicians clearly exists. Allopathic schools have only themselves to blame for more competition--which they artificially tried to control. I respect the efforts of Osteopathic schools to bring more physicians to the market. I don't respect their nonsense and their naive beliefs that they somehow offer more than just manipulations of the MSK system. They don't. That is the only difference.

GLTA in this mess.
😎
 
Last edited:
Is this the hospital you are talking about?

http://larkinhospital.com/site/

It seems to have good ratings. Are all community hospitals this bad?

Good ratings and quality of healthcare aren't necessarily related. Amenities like a coffee bar, a good cafeteria and friendly staff go a long way towards ratings while actual healthcare plays a small part. There was a piece on NPR a few weeks ago talking about the differences between US and the rest of the world with respect to hospitals. Most hospitals around the world are utilitarian with few amenities. They exist to provide healthcare and not much else. Hospitals in the US are there to provide an "experience", so you have fancy lobbies, waterfalls, coffee bars, full dining restaurants, etc etc. One US resident who received healthcare in a European hospital (forgot which country, but it doesn't really matter) thought the hospital was a concrete block and was afraid to get healthcare there. When he researched it, he found it was one of the top hospitals in the world. That kind of **** wouldn't fly in the US because we "need" to see the 10 million dollar lobby with the waterfall, lush carpeting and fancy lights.
 
Is this the hospital you are talking about?

http://larkinhospital.com/site/

It seems to have good ratings. Are all community hospitals this bad?


As for the cheapening of Osteopathy, well, I have said before:

DO 'principles' and 'distinctiveness' are bologna (that's BUH-LOW-NEE. Like the word Colonel...KER-NUL. Or the word bull****).

DO schools should not exist. Please stop supporting the nonsense. All DO schools should confer the MD degree. Those who want to learn OMM may learn it as an elective. I would highly support that. I can barely tolerate the cult-like professors at Osteopathic medical schools who think they are somehow special snowflakes who are 'distinct' from MDs. They are naive adults. Osteopathy and its worthless board exams need to end. Students enter Osteopathic medical schools because they could not gain acceptance to an allopathic program. That's why I entered. That's why most of my classmates entered. Stop masquerading behind your 'holy hands' and whatever 'banner you throw to the breeze.' Take the USMLE like a physician who wants WORDLDWIDE respect. If you want that--earn it, by jumping over (or through, or whatever) the gold standard board exam.

As I have alluded to or said before--I would NEVER encourage any Osteopathic graduate to pursue an AOA residency. The Step 1 exams and the ACGME are the WORLDWIDE gold standards. Don't cheapen that with your silly Comlex nonsense (that's right: COMLEX, not the comPlex--it's NOT an apartment building. It's a test. Spell it right). No one respects, cares or gives a rat's ass about it and no one ever will.

The reason DO schools exist in the first place is that the allopathic/MD/AMA, etc., have made a concerted effort since the 1930s to artificially hold down the number of physicians. Naturally, another sort of 'physician' would evolve because, frankly, the public demanded it. The need for more physicians clearly exists. Allopathic schools have only themselves to blame for more competition--which they artificially tried to control. I respect the efforts of Osteopathic schools to bring more physicians to the market. I don't respect their nonsense and their naive beliefs that they somehow offer more than just manipulations of the MSK system. They don't. That is the only difference.

GLTA in this mess.
😎
+1 Well said my friend. As a fellow DO student I feel the same way. I get so frustrated by the AOA trying to sell "distinctiveness" as the reason we have seperate boards and residencies, bulls**t, the AOA wants to stay seperate so they can keep their jobs and feel important. DOs have come along way by getting the general public to recognize that we are worthy of having EQUAL rights to practice as MDs, and now our leadership wants to reject the ACGME/AOA merger on the basis of keeping our uniqueness. I'm not buying that junk. For me, going to a DO school is a means to an end of becoming a physician, and for 99% of my classmates it is the same. I look forward to when our generation of DOs takes over the leadership of the profession and actually look out for what's best for the whole instead of just perpetuating a tired and worn out school of thought.
 
Good ratings and quality of healthcare aren't necessarily related. Amenities like a coffee bar, a good cafeteria and friendly staff go a long way towards ratings while actual healthcare plays a small part. There was a piece on NPR a few weeks ago talking about the differences between US and the rest of the world with respect to hospitals. Most hospitals around the world are utilitarian with few amenities. They exist to provide healthcare and not much else. Hospitals in the US are there to provide an "experience", so you have fancy lobbies, waterfalls, coffee bars, full dining restaurants, etc etc. One US resident who received healthcare in a European hospital (forgot which country, but it doesn't really matter) thought the hospital was a concrete block and was afraid to get healthcare there. When he researched it, he found it was one of the top hospitals in the world. That kind of **** wouldn't fly in the US because we "need" to see the 10 million dollar lobby with the waterfall, lush carpeting and fancy lights.

No wonder healthcare is so expensive here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this the hospital you are talking about?

http://larkinhospital.com/site/

It seems to have good ratings. Are all community hospitals this bad?


As for the cheapening of Osteopathy, well, I have said before:

DO 'principles' and 'distinctiveness' are bologna (that's BUH-LOW-NEE. Like the word Colonel...KER-NUL. Or the word bull****).

DO schools should not exist. Please stop supporting the nonsense. All DO schools should confer the MD degree. Those who want to learn OMM may learn it as an elective. I would highly support that. I can barely tolerate the cult-like professors at Osteopathic medical schools who think they are somehow special snowflakes who are 'distinct' from MDs. They are naive adults. Osteopathy and its worthless board exams need to end. Students enter Osteopathic medical schools because they could not gain acceptance to an allopathic program. That's why I entered. That's why most of my classmates entered. Stop masquerading behind your 'holy hands' and whatever 'banner you throw to the breeze.' Take the USMLE like a physician who wants WORDLDWIDE respect. If you want that--earn it, by jumping over (or through, or whatever) the gold standard board exam.

As I have alluded to or said before--I would NEVER encourage any Osteopathic graduate to pursue an AOA residency. The Step 1 exams and the ACGME are the WORLDWIDE gold standards. Don't cheapen that with your silly Comlex nonsense (that's right: COMLEX, not the comPlex--it's NOT an apartment building. It's a test. Spell it right). No one respects, cares or gives a rat's ass about it and no one ever will.

The reason DO schools exist in the first place is that the allopathic/MD/AMA, etc., have made a concerted effort since the 1930s to artificially hold down the number of physicians. Naturally, another sort of 'physician' would evolve because, frankly, the public demanded it. The need for more physicians clearly exists. Allopathic schools have only themselves to blame for more competition--which they artificially tried to control. I respect the efforts of Osteopathic schools to bring more physicians to the market. I don't respect their nonsense and their naive beliefs that they somehow offer more than just manipulations of the MSK system. They don't. That is the only difference.

GLTA in this mess.
😎


I think understanding a little of the history of OUR common profession would make you less critical. Still never intended to create a separate system, rather he recognized some major problems that existed within the prominent system that practiced medicine and wanted to improve on it. It's unfortunate that the practicing physicians of his time mistook his intentions as a threat because so much of what he contributed could have been well incorporated into "allopathic" medicine—which clearly was lacking in the way doctors were practicing—for the benefit of all and we wouldn't have to have this discussion today.
Yet, that's not how history happened and instead we became separated and somewhat distinct. The separation, while less than ideal, is good in that it provides a constant reminder to practitioners that there is more to practicing medicine than only ONE "style" suggests. Sure many DOs practice like MDs and some MDs have more of the approach that DOs claim but at minimum the separation is a constant reminder that as (future) doctors that problems in our health care does exist and that we sometimes we uphold practices that are more about us than the patient. The bashing that occurs on here concerning the osteopathic profession is often from those that don't adhere the approach presented by our programs. That's fine, each can adopt their own approach, but I am grateful for the perspective that we are often taught from, even if at the end of the day the only difference in my training or practice is my perspective alone, because that is much more significant than you would think.
 
^ dude you are talking about stuff that happened a 100 yrs ago...its over, THERE IS NO NEED FOR 2 SEPERATE MEDICAL DEGREES

like the poster said (and i agree)

DO NOT GO AOA, GO ACGME, WRITE THE USMLE, give up membership and provide 0 funding


they have back stabbed their students for a cash grab and power-- now its our turn
a new generation will be comming to power
 
What's with all the OPP hate? Did a pack of OPP fellows murder your parents or something?
 
What's with all the OPP hate? Did a pack of OPP fellows murder your parents or something?
Yeah, what gives?

Let's focus our energy back on what I would argue is the worst place in the DO world to go for clerkships or GME. Larkin. In my dealings with them, they had a hard time speaking English with proper grammar, their emails back and forth didn't show much understanding of what students and residents need to learn and how they should be supported and students that have actually rotated there will see an entirely different version of the Florida that they were expecting. For Florida, it's Largo or NoGo.

As of right now, even DOs in training or practice are arguing against the DO world because of how bad it's gotten, but it's because our AOA leadership is the most useless bunch of misfits since the Bad News Bears. I wouldn't knock the more mainstream elements of OMM, though. Anyone that asks to do cranial on a patient will get a chart split over their head; that's never going to change.
 
^ dude you are talking about stuff that happened a 100 yrs ago...its over, THERE IS NO NEED FOR 2 SEPERATE MEDICAL DEGREES

like the poster said (and i agree)

DO NOT GO AOA, GO ACGME, WRITE THE USMLE, give up membership and provide 0 funding


they have back stabbed their students for a cash grab and power-- now its our turn
a new generation will be comming to power

+1. Smart guy, se is.

The point of this thread is not Larkin. The point is that Larkin tolerates low standards and nonsense, just like the rest of the Osteopathic profession. I don't respect or aspire to 'achieve' low standards in any regard. That is why I encourage all students to pursue an ACGME residency. They are the gold standard. AOA residencies are notoriously sub-par. The experiences of rotating students at Larkin prove that.

If you want the same respect as MD physicians then take the gold standard exam--that's the USMLE. I can't stand the following mentality: "It's O.K., I'll just go to an AOA hospital! That's fine; they will take me. Your training is what you make of it! I'm going to train with DO's who treat the whole patient and that will make me better than MDs who just care about patients' potassium levels and drug dosages. "

I remember at one of my DO school interviews (I won't say where), one of the fellow applicants said to another, [to paraphrase]: "I told a doctor I shadowed that I don't want to be an MD; when I treat a patient's heart problem, I don't just treat his heart, I look at everything else in his life. MDs don't do that."

😴
*roll eyes*
:laugh:
:::you keep telling yourself that::::

Now I hate to judge and extrapolate, but I am going to anyway. The guy didn't strike me as terribly bright. No, I don't know what his stats were. Just call it a hunch that he wasn't Einstein. My point is that DO schools are enrolling many people who are gullible and naive, and those people grow up to become the ridiculous cult-like professors who perpetuate notions of nonsense [read: 'distinctiveness'] peddled by DO schools. Enough is enough already.

😎
-sc
 
Last edited:
+1 Well said my friend. As a fellow DO student I feel the same way. I get so frustrated by the AOA trying to sell "distinctiveness" as the reason we have seperate boards and residencies, bulls**t, the AOA wants to stay seperate so they can keep their jobs and feel important. DOs have come along way by getting the general public to recognize that we are worthy of having EQUAL rights to practice as MDs, and now our leadership wants to reject the ACGME/AOA merger on the basis of keeping our uniqueness. I'm not buying that junk. For me, going to a DO school is a means to an end of becoming a physician, and for 99% of my classmates it is the same. I look forward to when our generation of DOs takes over the leadership of the profession and actually look out for what's best for the whole instead of just perpetuating a tired and worn out school of thought.

👍
 
“While we won’t get the cream-of-the-crop students because we aren’t Harvard, the need for positions in medical school is so great that we should be able to fill them,” Fernandez said.
:scared:
 
It still amazes me that people keep opening medical schools near other medical schools in the name of addressing physician shortage areas. Even if a med school were an instant, perfect cure for a region's lack of physicians, it still doesn't make sense. South Florida? With Nova, U of Miami, FIU all within 30 miles?

Meanwhile states like Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska have NO medical school.
 
It still amazes me that people keep opening medical schools near other medical schools in the name of addressing physician shortage areas. Even if a med school were an instant, perfect cure for a region's lack of physicians, it still doesn't make sense. South Florida? With Nova, U of Miami, FIU all within 30 miles?

Meanwhile states like Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska have NO medical school.

Yeah... and along the same lines, opening a medical school may be the "sexier" thing to do but if these communities wanted results for addressing the shortages they would probably be more effective with partnering to open RESIDENCY SLOTS
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It still amazes me that people keep opening medical schools near other medical schools in the name of addressing physician shortage areas. Even if a med school were an instant, perfect cure for a region's lack of physicians, it still doesn't make sense. South Florida? With Nova, U of Miami, FIU all within 30 miles?

Meanwhile states like Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska have NO medical school.

It's all about money. Florida = lots of hospitals and old people. It also = a lot of existing applicants.

Wyoming probably produces about 50 premeds. And few ppl will want to go there. Likewise no hospitals to provide adequate work. Likewise no research.
 
I think understanding a little of the history of OUR common profession would make you less critical. Still never intended to create a separate system, rather he recognized some major problems that existed within the prominent system that practiced medicine and wanted to improve on it. It’s unfortunate that the practicing physicians of his time mistook his intentions as a threat because so much of what he contributed could have been well incorporated into “allopathic” medicine—which clearly was lacking in the way doctors were practicing—for the benefit of all and we wouldn’t have to have this discussion today.
Yet, that’s not how history happened and instead we became separated and somewhat distinct. The separation, while less than ideal, is good in that it provides a constant reminder to practitioners that there is more to practicing medicine than only ONE “style” suggests. Sure many DOs practice like MDs and some MDs have more of the approach that DOs claim but at minimum the separation is a constant reminder that as (future) doctors that problems in our health care does exist and that we sometimes we uphold practices that are more about us than the patient. The bashing that occurs on here concerning the osteopathic profession is often from those that don’t adhere the approach presented by our programs. That’s fine, each can adopt their own approach, but I am grateful for the perspective that we are often taught from, even if at the end of the day the only difference in my training or practice is my perspective alone, because that is much more significant than you would think.

👍

I agree. Osteopathic medicine wasn't originally intended to be a separate system; rather, it was meant to provide a different perspective with which to treat the patient. I think too often we consider the status-quo as being the correct or even the best way to do things. There are plenty of things we do in modern medicine (MDs and DOs included) that make little if not no sense at all. I especially like what you said about practices that are more about us than the patient; oftentimes we'll work up things and spend thousands of dollars in the process solely for the purpose of knowing something that will inevitably not make a single difference in the prognosis or management of the patient.

Even if the USMLE and ACGME are the current "gold standard," that doesn't make our training as DO's less valuable. We aren't "special snowflakes," just doctors who were instructed a slightly different way and who might just adapt some of these distinct practices/perspectives into the way we treat patients.
 
It's all about money. Florida = lots of hospitals and old people. It also = a lot of existing applicants.

Wyoming probably produces about 50 premeds. And few ppl will want to go there. Likewise no hospitals to provide adequate work. Likewise no research.

Yeah but just imagine the possibilities: Yellowstone College of Osteopathic Medicine. Lol. Epic ruralness.
 
Yeah... and along the same lines, opening a medical school may be the "sexier" thing to do but if these communities wanted results for addressing the shortages they would probably be more effective with partnering to open RESIDENCY SLOTS
Agreed that residency slots are what bring in physicians more than medical schools.
Don't the vast majority of physicians end up practicing within a 50 mile radius of where they did their residencies?

Sigh, can't we strike a balance between self-hating DOism and Osteo flavored Kool-Aid? I feel like that's where most of my classmates are, in the real world.
👍
 
people are just worn out with the AOA/COCA/ACOFP. at this point, nothing surprises me.

Yeah, I'm done being outraged about this. I also find the idea of new sister schools opening up ridiculous so if it isn't new schools it will just be established schools opening up other campuses for the "doctor shortage".

I do personally think that the AOA/COCA/ACOFP is trying to erase everything they have gained for the DO profession and all for $$$.
 
Yeah, I'm done being outraged about this. I also find the idea of new sister schools opening up ridiculous so if it isn't new schools it will just be established schools opening up other campuses for the "doctor shortage".

I do personally think that the AOA/COCA/ACOFP is trying to erase everything they have gained for the DO profession and all for $$$.

This is why we should sit quietly and wait for our professional prospects to be completely torn apart as the AOA continues to twiddle its thumbs and play power games with the ACGME which so far is still a benevolent organization to us.

But like I said, unless DOs across the board take a chance and start legally evicting the gerontocracy the next generation of DOs will be left hanging high and dry.
 
This is why we should sit quietly and wait for our professional prospects to be completely torn apart as the AOA continues to twiddle its thumbs and play power games with the ACGME which so far is still a benevolent organization to us.

But like I said, unless DOs across the board take a chance and start legally evicting the gerontocracy the next generation of DOs will be left hanging high and dry.

I'm still not convinced that we have a legal recourse.
 
I'm still not convinced that we have a legal recourse.

I think that as concerned member of the board you have the right to at any time form a class action suit if you feel that the organization is not representing you properly. At the very least you could petition to evict or punish the current board for blatantly lying and failing to represent the greater interests of the members of the organization.

Regardless is there no clause in the organization's constitution for the members to evict the current board and replace them or to force them to act according to the desires of the majority?
 
WTF is this world coming to? Larkin hospital was the biggest ****hole I rotated through, it was worse than many 3rd world country hospitals I have seen. The hospital and their owner were investigated for medicare an insurance fraud and paid up millions.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2006/November/06_civ_803.html

What is wrong with DO accreditation body? Why would you want to associate the whole profession with a place like this, absolutely disgusting.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...arkin-hospital-unveils-plan-for.html?page=all
Why? Here's why - "Dr. Jack Michel – chairman, president and owner of the for-profit hospital in South Miami"

“While we won’t get the cream-of-the-crop students because we aren’t Harvard, the need for positions in medical school is so great that we should be able to fill them,” Fernandez said.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interesting. According to the article, the school of medicine will be located about 20 miles south where the Air force based used to be. It's not as nice an area as the hospital, actually kind of a depressed area that never really recovered since hurricane andrew hit. It could actually help to revitalize the area a bit.
 
Last edited:
+1. Smart guy, se is.

The point of this thread is not Larkin. The point is that Larkin tolerates low standards and nonsense, just like the rest of the Osteopathic profession. I don't respect or aspire to 'achieve' low standards in any regard. That is why I encourage all students to pursue an ACGME residency. They are the gold standard. AOA residencies are notoriously sub-par. The experiences of rotating students at Larkin prove that.

If you want the same respect as MD physicians then take the gold standard exam--that's the USMLE. I can't stand the following mentality: "It's O.K., I'll just go to an AOA hospital! That's fine; they will take me. Your training is what you make of it! I'm going to train with DO's who treat the whole patient and that will make me better than MDs who just care about patients' potassium levels and drug dosages. "

I remember at one of my DO school interviews (I won't say where), one of the fellow applicants said to another, [to paraphrase]: "I told a doctor I shadowed that I don't want to be an MD; when I treat a patient's heart problem, I don't just treat his heart, I look at everything else in his life. MDs don't do that."

😴
*roll eyes*
:laugh:
:::you keep telling yourself that::::

Now I hate to judge and extrapolate, but I am going to anyway. The guy didn't strike me as terribly bright. No, I don't know what his stats were. Just call it a hunch that he wasn't Einstein. My point is that DO schools are enrolling many people who are gullible and naive, and those people grow up to become the ridiculous cult-like professors who perpetuate notions of nonsense [read: 'distinctiveness'] peddled by DO schools. Enough is enough already.

😎
-sc

^man, this is so spot on and so refreshing to hear. I totally echo your sentiments, especially the part about enrolling MANY students who are gullible and naive who grow to become a ridiculous cult.

Also, to add to that, the AOA leadership and the accrediting body....meh, reluctant to add my 4 letter word of choice. As you may know, the American University College of Osteopathic Medicine is set to open in August, funded by tobacco money, affiliated with the same UG institution which openly denies evolution (not to take the thread on a tangent, but...it just shows the kinds of schools they are giving the green light to) and highlights their concern for purely the money.
 
Last edited:
What's with all the OPP hate? Did a pack of OPP fellows murder your parents or something?
OMM is actually pretty awesome if you use it the right way. In med school, I always used to go get treated for my musculoskeletal back pain and TMJD. OMM worked like a charm. It really is great treatment for musculoskeletal aches and pains.
 
It still amazes me that people keep opening medical schools near other medical schools in the name of addressing physician shortage areas. Even if a med school were an instant, perfect cure for a region's lack of physicians, it still doesn't make sense. South Florida? With Nova, U of Miami, FIU all within 30 miles?

Meanwhile states like Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska have NO medical school.
exactly. Those states actually need med schools and residency programs. They need more doctors.
 
The key to understanding this issue is the looming money shortage for the AOA. To put it simply, they want your money, your state's money and profits from every patient seen by a DO and they, currently, can't get all of it. Let's help our hallowed institution by admitting everyone, getting a mountain of labs and imaging on them, then billing these underserved patients that can't afford to choose to go anywhere else into bankruptcy. Oh wait, we already do that. :lame:

I'm not sure how this actually helps Florida or any other state's underserved, but I hope to ascend to that level of insight one day.

BWAHAHAHA!