laser surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSU-Tech

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pre med so don't get all pissy if this is way off since I don't know much about optometry, but the internal medicine physician I shadow told me today that some optometrists are liscenced to perform laser surgery. How much truth is there to this?

Members don't see this ad.

LSU-Tech said:
I'm pre med so don't get all pissy if this is way off since I don't know much about optometry, but the internal medicine physician I shadow told me today that some optometrists are liscenced to perform laser surgery. How much truth is there to this?

that is true in the state of OK...i don't know to what extent they are allowed to perform these procedures though...

LSU-Tech said:

In Oklahoma, ODs are licensed to perform laser surgery of the anterior segment, which basically means everything besides the retina. That's the only state now, and probably for the foreseeable future.

Tom Stickel
Indiana U. 2001