This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oklahomasooner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I find which states permits Optometrists do perform minor surgeries?

I have been invited to interview in NSU (Oklahoma) and UMSL (St. Louis, Missouri). I know Oklahoma has the most progressive optometry laws, however, I have no idea about UMSL. Would I be able to perform minor surgeries in Missouri? If not, would I at least be taught how to perform minor surgeries, or will I have to attend a school like NSU to learn these procedures.

What are other important law pertaining to Optometry?

Members don't see this ad.

You can just google optometry laws for each state. For example, I googled "South Carolina optometry laws." The first link is to the South Carolina Department of Labor, which lays out each law in the state, including licensing, pharmaceuticals, and surgery for optometrists.

Specifically, "An optometrist is prohibited from performing surgery. For purposes of this section surgery includes, but is not limited to, an invasive procedure using instruments that require closure by suturing, clamping, or other similar devices or a procedure in which the presence or assistance of a nurse anesthetist or an anesthesiologist is required. An optometrist is also prohibited from performing laser surgery. However, nothing in this section or any other provision of law may be construed to prohibit an optometrist from removing superficial ocular and ocular adnexal foreign bodies; removal of other foreign bodies must be referred to an ophthalmologist."

I am sure you can find this information for any state just as easily.