Lasik surgery by an OD?

Started by IlizaRob
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IlizaRob

IlizaRob-erator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize if this has already been brought up here. I was curious to know if ODs can perform lasik surgery. If they can, are they required by law to become certified or go through a residency? And are they generally cheaper than going to an optho? I have been blind as a bat since 1st grade (or at least that’s when I got my first glasses). Im sick of contacts and glasses. My optometrist has been in practice for many, many years so Im not sure if he has kept up with the advances of the profession. Any info would be appreciated.
 
randersen said:
I apologize if this has already been brought up here. I was curious to know if ODs can perform lasik surgery. If they can, are they required by law to become certified or go through a residency? And are they generally cheaper than going to an optho? I have been blind as a bat since 1st grade (or at least that’s when I got my first glasses). Im sick of contacts and glasses. My optometrist has been in practice for many, many years so Im not sure if he has kept up with the advances of the profession. Any info would be appreciated.

Nope, they can't do LASIK.

But you could ask your OD about it, he can refer you to someone who can.