Lasik?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mupreopt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked, optometrists don't perform Lasik. Opthalmologists do.
In the future, will optometrists be trained to perform Lasik?

Members don't see this ad.

Last time I checked, optometrists don't perform Lasik. Opthalmologists do.
In the future, will optometrists be trained to perform Lasik?

Who knows, its impossible to know.

Who knows, its impossible to know.

Truth. However if I had to guess, I would say probably not for 2 big reasons.

1) LASIK is very lucrative at the moment, which means the MDs will fight harder for it. You'll have ophthalmologists who do nothing but lasik just throwing money at the legislatures.

2) From my small sample size in my area, it seems that what surgery the local ODs want is laser stuff (with a few other minor things). LASIK is a nice sized cut in the eye, I've not met an OD that wants to do that much cutting.

I suffered for almost 16 years of my life having a hard time to see and wearing those thick glasses that made me like a 50 years old loser. I had my astigmatism when I was young (back in my adolescent's stage) then last year I decided to be free, free from glasses and contacts that's been part of me for almost 16 years. Im sick and tired of having a limitation in all things that I do, especially with my favorite sports and doing some stuff, my Astigmatism was really a hindrance to me not only in my passion but in my work, So last year as a thanks giving gift to myself I fly to Kansas to have a Lasik exam in my2020 to determine if im a good candidate and fortunately I was. Right now I can say that im in the process of healing the side effects of it (and its normal) and I feel good and great about myself not wearing those contacts and glasses anymore. Its nice to live like a normal being.