Last Gasp of Fresh Air Before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G_Eagle

MS4 -> R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you all planning to do before medical school starts in the fall? In a way, this is part II to the thread about those who are having difficulty concentrating on schoolwork.

As for me, I have redirected my energy out of classes and outside activities. One thing I have been doing is reading more this semester. Not textbooks, though I considered getting a headstart on anatomy (that lasted about 30 seconds). Rather, I have been reading for pleasure, an activitiy that will be severely shortened by med school. Also, I found that our school library has tons of cd's so I decided to take advantage of checking them out before I lose that access. To anyone who has not heard Camille Saint-Saens Symphony #3 in C Minor "The Organ Symphony," I highly recommend it! Any life dreams that you all wish to accomplish before we enter Dante's Inferno? (Remember, he strolled through Hell and Purgatory before he made it to Heaven)

To those who are still waiting on medical schools to realize that they are idiots for not begging you to come with open arms and offers of huge scholarships, I wish you the best of luck! They'll figure out whom they are missing soon enough (that's my hope)....

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by G_Eagle
What are you all planning to do before medical school starts in the fall? In a way, this is part II to the thread about those who are having difficulty concentrating.

As for me, I have redirected my energy out of classes and outside activities. One thing I have been doing is reading more this semester. Not textbooks, though I considered getting a headstart on anatomy (that lasted about 30 seconds). Rather, I have been reading for pleasure, an activitiy that will be severely shortened by med school. Also, I found that our school library has tons of cd's so I decided to take advantage of checking them out before I lose that access. To anyone who has not heard Camille Saint-Saens Symphony #3 in C Minor "The Organ Symphony," I highly recommend it! Any life dreams that you all wish to accomplish before we enter Dante's Inferno? (Remember, he strolled through Hell and Purgatory before he made it to Heaven)

To those who are still waiting on medical schools to realize that they are idiots for not begging you to come with open arms and offers of huge scholarships, I wish you the best of luck! They'll figure out whom they are missing soon enough (that's my hope)....

This summer I'm planning to travel, read the rest of the books I've always wanted to, and possibly taking a class for fun

Glad I'm not the only one!! My list of things-to-do/places-to-go keeps growing!

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm from the time my ms program ends in early july till school starts in early aug i should have oh.. ONE MONTH??? :(

Right now I'm reading and skiing a lot (not here in NC though).

I'll have two free weeks before med school starts, so I'm planning a road trip out to Jackson Hole. I love camping!

That sucks :( 1 month is more than enough for a nice lil getaway tho...you'll already be in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt from med school, what is another $600? :)

Originally posted by exmike
hmm from the time my ms program ends in early july till school starts in early aug i should have oh.. ONE MONTH??? :(

I?m thinking about studying abroad this summer in China to learn Mandarin before medical school starts. Still thinking about it though...

I definetely second the idea of taking this semester easy... Unfortunately, I have to write my thesis this semester :( but otherwise, I'm having a great time....

This semester, i've been playing ice hockey and rock climbing at my school's rock gym 3 times a week.... i've also been doing some great stuff with the outdoors club... i'm going Caving in two weekends, and i'm going backpacking in the Smokeys over spring break. This summer, i'm going to Belize with my boyfriend (!!!) and then working in july as an outdoor rec instructor for a program for incoming freshmen at my school (hiking, ropes course, that sort of thing). Definetely taking it easy!!!!

Got into my third choice cali school, so i'm relieved and excited. The rest of my time up until med school will be filled with paid research (with a publication or two before i have to leave), tutoring (extra money to spend on weekends), and partying in socal atleast every weekend! (LA, San Diego, Newport Beach, etc.) Oh yeah, planning a trip to Florida during the summer for vacation. Any Florida residents want to be a host for a fellow pre-med-er for a week?!

Spending time in the mountains as much as possible!! Hiking, skiing, etc.

Partying.

Reading (not textbooks).

Yoga.

Taking a trip to the Yucatan.

Preparing to sell my soul to my chosen profession. . .

If you guys have time to enjoy your summer, definitely do it. I had two weeks between the end of my master's and the start of med school so I made the most of it and went backpacking in the Sierras for a week. You definitely want to enjoy yourself before you start med school if you can.

Jetson

1. There is no way in hell you can prep up for med school.

2. Have fun and do absolutely nothing that involves the upper cortex (or at least as little to do with it as possible.).

3. And possibly the most important thing, remember, medicine is about humans and not books. You have to have human experiences! So relax and do something personally satisfying.

I'm with Superstarz on this one... will be spending my semester doing lots of leisure reading, power yoga, exploring Boston, teaching orgo lab (a good way to make $$ as a chem major), and running along the Esplanade (when it's warmer). Also travel: Yucatan over spring break and heading to China over the summer.

After all this application nonsense, every one of us deserves to be working towards our own immediate happiness for once! =)

I think I'll be going to a Spanish immersion program in Costa Rica for a few weeks. Yeah, it involves some brain function, but with classes only 4 hours a day the remaining 20 hours can be spent on the beach :-D

I'm going on a 10 day safari in Africa. Namibia to be exact. Then I will move up to Chicago and decorate my place with the animal heads.

Sell my house, I hope. :scared:

I'm getting married in June. :love: :love: Then, I will travel and relax.

I'm building a house, going to Hawaii and I plan on spending as much time as possible with my daughter before it all begins. I'll probably quit my current job (a research position) about a month and a half before classes start.