Last min Q: PCAT OCHEM?

Started by wendy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wendy

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi^^
I am wondering if there are LOTS of Organic Chem Qs on PCAT? and do we have to know different kind of rxn (ie. how to form priminary, secondary ROH??)
 
There are not a lot. Don't worry about what you don't know. Know what you know and take the test with confidence. You aren't going to learn O-chem in 3 days...if you do then let me know how the hell you did it. You will be a wealthy person and I want to get in on the ground floor! Good luck!
 
I took the PCAT on Nov and i can assure you that over 95% of Chem was org Chem so please study on synthesis, carbocation, cycloakenes etc the whole broad esp org chem 1.
 
Tic Tac said:
I took the PCAT on Nov and i can assure you that over 95% of Chem was org Chem so please study on synthesis, carbocation, cycloakenes etc the whole broad esp org chem 1.Special emphasis on functional groups carboxylic alkene alkyne alkane etc pliz study for those.They will be there
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can assure you that the percentage of o-chem questions is nowhere near 95%. I took it in October and they didn't change the test significantly for the November test. Don't let them scare you, it's not that hard.
 
Betty'sBeast said:
I can assure you that the percentage of o-chem questions is nowhere near 95%. I took it in October and they didn't change the test significantly for the November test. Don't let them scare you, it's not that hard.

Took it in Oct and about 40% where O-Chem.
 
40-95% orgo?

The Kaplan only has like 4 pages on ochem, and it basically says the basics. What a sp orbital is, alkanes, alkenes, etc.
It tells you what an alkane is, but it does not get in-dept. I was doing the peterson practice exam, and it asks: what happens when alkanes or alkenes form bonds with other compounds, etc. I have no idea how to solve those, nor did i ever learn them is school.


Does anyone know WHAT kind of questions they give? I mean if it really is 95% orgo, it must go in great detail with the questions...
 
I took October AND November test. I would say 40% OChem is accurate. Know your functional groups. Know esters, ethers, carboxyl, ketones, etc. There were a lot of those.
 
jemc2000 said:
I took October AND November test. I would say 40% OChem is accurate. Know your functional groups. Know esters, ethers, carboxyl, ketones, etc. There were a lot of those.


Know what about them though?

I know what they look like, what they consist of, but what else do i need to know?
What they do? What they are used for?
 
Avicenna04 said:
Know what about them though?

I know what they look like, what they consist of, but what else do i need to know?
What they do? What they are used for?

Mainly just be able to recognize them.