alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I don't know how many airlines still offer super cheap last minute flights - except maybe standby and you can't count on that when you're interviewing.

I liked Southwest - flew pretty close to everywhere I needed to go and was cheap - plus I got double frequent flyer points as a student under 24.

kac714

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2008
il
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
if you're really lucky but generally no... the last time i had to buy a last minute ticket it was 800 bucks. tics for the same itinerary were usually 3-4 hundred. book as soon as you find out you have an interview.

About the Ads

nontrdgsbuiucmd

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2008
my own little world
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
have traveled a lot, both for business + personal

typically when I travel, time is important i.e. I'm working until 5pm, and therefore need a 6:30 or later flight. For specific times, I'd always do best booking over 2 weeks out; less than 2 weeks is when tickets get pricey. And just over 2 weeks out, selection is limited; Ideally 2 weeks and a few days for a decent price + decent selection. I've had the best luck on orbitz, yahoo, and travelocity.

But there are services like priceline, and on united's web site (and probably other airlines) there are last minute specials. I would never rely on these if I had to get somewhere, though.

silverlining1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have traveled a lot, and the general rule that I have found is that flights get more expensive as you approach the travel date.

www.kayak.com is a great resource for comparing options.

chewsnuffles

is a series of tubes
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
are these generally the chepeast way to go?

not in the USA
in europe however the airlines business model is slightly different and "last minute" can definitely save you some money (30-40%).

In the US, you will lose A LOT of money 9 out of 10 times if you wait to book your flight (100% markup or more)

apgar

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yeah, standby flying is not that cheap and very risky if you need to get somewhere by a certain day.

devilsrule2004

Apr 21, 2009
Status (Visible)
yea i would never do standing by flight way to risky, just book early with someone like orbiotz or something
sbiggrin.gif

Basic economics would tell me "No", but I don't have anything except anecdotal evidence to support that. Shouldn't be too hard to find some numbers on this though.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.