Last minute help with Ranking, Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puffologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
as I labor over a million factors, and somehow (sadly) can't exactly locate the 'gut feeling' I must have experienced during some of my interviews (even with help from all the notes and excel sheets), I'm kindly turning to you for any and all advice, insight, or direction you could offer.

These are the programs at the top of my list:

BIDMC, Columbia, Penn, UCLA, NYU, UCSD

I'm interesting in an academic career, but not %100 sure and wouldn't want to limit my other options at this point. I'm not geographically restricted, and the thought of living in all these locations seems to have advantages and disadvantages. Basically, I'm not sure if there are any red flags/malignancy/other important issue I missed, or if any of these programs stand out among others (national reputation/prestige, future academic opportunity). I thought BIDMC had an excellent environment, pretty bad facilities, and overall great people. Columbia was excellent, but there was a vague sense that things there were 'disorganized', and it's a bit on the smaller side. NY being so expensive scares me. Penn was all around awesome, and not really sure if it isn't perfect. UCLA was great and had a great laid back - ness to it and the people seemed really fun and happy. I've always hated (the idea) of LA, but not sure if that would quickly change. UCSD is in SD - that enough has me thinking seriously. NYU residents were probably the best I got along with throughout the whole season. The program felt like a great place. even more expensive area than Columbia though.

Any thoughts? It is very much appreciated.

Any residents from these programs kind enough to share their uninhibited review of the program?

Thanks!

and if anyone is willing/able to help with the rest of my list (should I move it around?) that would be wonderful. Thanks.

NIH
Einstein
Indiana
UAB

Penn State
GW
Maryland
Dartmouth
VCU
Wake forest

Members don't see this ad.

Please PM me as well if you have any input on BIDMC, Penn, Columbia, NYU or Einstein! I would really appreciate any feedback!

IMHO, Penn> the rest. It has a good rep. They went through some turmoil in the recent past and had an interim chair for a while but the program has and will continue to improve under the current chair, David Roth. I found their CP training to be top notch. AP was very good as well. There are plenty of "big name" attendings. Also, Philly is a nice place to live, with a lot of East Coast amenities but with a much cheaper price tag. Unlike NYC, Boston, LA, and SD, you could even buy a place as a resident and build equity.

Plus, from your description it seems you like it best as well, subconsciously or not.

Otherwise, UCLA is strong. Hard to say much about the NYC programs, but for a long time they all suffered and had a bad rep. I thought the best program in the city wasn't on your list, but times change and I don't know much about them.

Re: the rest of the list- I've heard good things about Indiana. Can't say anything else about the other programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your input, gbwillner!

I gather there is a 'regional preference' for people who train in certain geographies when looking for jobs (?) Is this also true for more 'brand name' programs? i.e., if I wanted to work in California, would training at UCLA give me an edge (just hypothetically, everything else being equal) over Columbia or Penn? And if I wanted to work in NYC; would training at BID or Penn reduce my chances compared to Columbia? I guess I don't know how large these sreallupposed areas of regional preference are (and if they y even exist), New England vs. Mid Atlantic type or Boston vs. NYC vs. Philly etc.

Any other thoughts about the rest of the programs? especially BIDMC and Columbia? I always hear mixed opinions about NYC programs, and folks seem to think Cornell and Columbia are the better ones, but not sure how Columbia is regarded nationally. And if BIDMC is sorta overshadowed by other H programs in its standing.

I appreciate all thoughts and input. I feel like my carefully navigated system of how to approach the ranking process has started to fall apart...

I also think Penn is better than the others on your list. But if you have regional preferences for the future, you are better off going to the program in that region, as long as the program is a good one. If you wanted to work in California you would be much better off training at UCLA.

Thank you very much for your input, gbwillner!

I gather there is a 'regional preference' for people who train in certain geographies when looking for jobs (?) Is this also true for more 'brand name' programs? i.e., if I wanted to work in California, would training at UCLA give me an edge (just hypothetically, everything else being equal) over Columbia or Penn? And if I wanted to work in NYC; would training at BID or Penn reduce my chances compared to Columbia? I guess I don't know how large these sreallupposed areas of regional preference are (and if they y even exist), New England vs. Mid Atlantic type or Boston vs. NYC vs. Philly etc.

Any other thoughts about the rest of the programs? especially BIDMC and Columbia? I always hear mixed opinions about NYC programs, and folks seem to think Cornell and Columbia are the better ones, but not sure how Columbia is regarded nationally. And if BIDMC is sorta overshadowed by other H programs in its standing.

I appreciate all thoughts and input. I feel like my carefully navigated system of how to approach the ranking process has started to fall apart...

I know very little about pathology programs, but I've heard enough from friends and colleagues that New York programs are generally sketchy.

Thanks for your input guys+gals!

and Substance, I'm not sure what the 'general view' is (or if there is one) towards NY programs, but the ones I visited seemed great!

Would appreciate any other advice regarding programs on this list.. Any thoughts on the DC+metro area programs?

Los Angeles is fun. I would go with that or San Diego. I would never live in NYC unless I was like DiCaprio's character from the Wolf of Wall Street or something.

A warm Friday night in Santa Monica at a beach bar you can suddenly decide to throw back a couple of red bulls and make the run into Vegas. Hit up a Texas Hold Em tournament Saturday morning, crash out in a cheap room at the Tropicana and then hit some clubs on the Strip before ending up face down at your little rental in West LA....where else can you do that??