Pegasus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2000
Chicago, IL
Status (Visible)
Just need some comfort :wow:

I know my #1 program easily.

My #2 and 3 programs I LOVE, but I was told by #3 that I was very strong in their program, even got a call and a letter.

But #2 was not so friendly, not even when I called, and I didnt feel good about the interview there either. As far as the 2, they are head in head as far as program and location.. Should I switch #3 for #2 just to be sure? Or does it matter?

Seaglass

Quantum Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Winston Salem, NC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thank God that after tonight we will have 10 months of no more match worries on this website.

RANK THEM IN THE ORDER YOU WANT TO GO TO THEM.

If you like #2 more than #3 then don't mess with your list. How they will rank you should have NOTHING to do with your list.

the "C"

Pegasus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2000
Chicago, IL
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the reply.

Everyone says to rank 'where you want to go'..and I would love to go to both..just warm weather makes me rank #2 above #3.

It wont hurt my chances of getting #3 if I dont rank them higher? According to the process, it shouldnt, but Im just not sure.

Thanks again

About the Ads

carolyn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 1999
Status (Visible)
It wasn't always this way... but the Match currently works in the applicant's favor (as opposed to the program's favor).

If you would rather go to #2, then rank them higher than #3. If #3 is really planning on ranking you high, then it won't matter if you rank them at the top or at the bottom. You *do not* get penalized for putting your "reach" programs at the top because if the programs don't want you, the computer will pass them until they can make a tentative match with a program that has you on their rank list.

It only matters if *you* are trying to be able to let people know that you got your "first/second choice" which I think some applicants and programs are trying to do.

So... with the half hour you have left... just forget about what any program said or didn't say to you or try to figure your chances at these programs. JUST FIGURE OUT WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. And that is your ROL. That is how it's supposed to work. Good luck!

Tazmaniac

2 min. from a nice nap
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2003
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
So what exactly is this process that the computer does to match us?

And why wouldn't it just take 10 seconds for a computer to do it all?

-Todd MS-IV

carolyn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 1999
Status (Visible)
the computer can actually do it tomorrow and be finished with it... but NRMP basically does it for many times (runs through many cycles) during the next couple weeks to ensure that the results will be the same no matter what name they start with to be fair to everyone.

mwl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by carolyn
It wasn't always this way... but the Match currently works in the applicant's favor (as opposed to the program's favor).

Can you explain why the Match works in the applicants favor? I have the impression from reading the NRMP website that both sides have the equal weight.

Seaglass

Quantum Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Winston Salem, NC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I had to put my baby in his baby sling so I couuld type this with two handss. We should collect these and put them in a sticky about the match.

The match favors the applicant because it prioritizes your rank list over the programs rank lists. For example:

I interview at 2 hospitals, Mercy and City (sound familiar?). I like Mercy better and rank them #1 and put City #2.

Mercy likes me OK and ranks me 7, they have 8 spots. City LOVED me and they rank me #1.

Now, if the systems were biased towards the programs I would get "pulled" into City even though I don't prefer them because they ranked me higher. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Instead I go to Mercy, where in fact I am farther down the list, because the system PUTS ME AT THE HIGHEST PROGRAM ON MY LIST THAT HAS A PLACE FOR ME.

If the system was weighted equally it would be much more complicated. The computers would try to put you at a program as high on your list while at the same time trying to fill programs with candidates as high on THEIR lists as possible. Many many more possibilities. THIS ALSO DOES NOT HAPPEN.

I hope that helps.

C

Chorusgirl

15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Status (Visible)
Has anyone logged on to the NRMP website since the certify ROL deadline? Are we allowed to do so and what additional information is given after you log on at this point? Thanks for your help.

rustybruce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
the rubber room
Status (Visible)
I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't take this the wrong way.

You have written this on two different threads, why don't you just take the time to check the NRMP website? Log on.

It will tell you your list is certified, it will look the same, and it will tell you when other options become available.

Good luck in the match

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.