Last minute rank dilemma between 2 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCW or Wake?

• MCW

• Wake

• I have no idea

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fenixak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have lived in the midwest and in NC and am having a hard time deciding between Wake Forest and Medical College of Wisconsin.

In my mind, I dont see myself living in either area after residency as I'd prefer to live out west (Colorado for example). I really enjoyed both interviews a lot (absolutely loved the PD at Wake).

Im struggling because I know Wake has a supposedly better reputation (possibly?), but Milwaukee is closer to my family and friends. My SO claims she is okay living in NC but hints that she would prefer Wisconsin. Both areas have a great cost of living, MCW starts paying PGY1 at 59k/year vs 51 at Wake, MCW seems to have extra perks (ie larger book fund and resources).

So basically I am trying to figure out if I'd be better off going to a "higher ranked" school like Wake over a more regionally ranked school like MCW where I may feel a little more familial support (minimal at best).

If someone familiar with the programs could maybe give me some last minute insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Flip a coin

rank whatever you hoped for while the coin is in the air higher.

*dont blame me if you don't like the results

As someone who has rotated through the MCW radiology department I would definitely recommend it. I can't speak to the difference between Wake Forest and MCW. The IR department at MCW has a top notch reputation and is intense. This results in other departments like body and MSK getting to do a lot of procedures that are done by IR elsewhere which I thought was a plus. The faculty was welcoming and seemed to have good relationships with the residents (Fantasy Football Leagues, etc.). All the DR subspecialites they had us rotate through had plenty of volume. The facilities were also very nice and Wauwatosa was a fun town. Moonlighting was light, but they are on the upper end salary wise like you mentioned. Many residents actually buy houses in the surrounding suburbs. Ultimately I'd go wherever you want to spend 4 years. Both can likely take you where you want to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I almost ranked Wake as number 1 when I matched, but ultimately ended up with them at number 4 because of the small size of Winston-Salem. Kind of regret that decision.

They have everything you need to succeed, little bit of a smaller city, but seemed like a great program and everyone got along really well. Dr. Geer was very memorable to me, in a good way. Other PDs stick out to me from a few years ago, but in a less positive light.

If it's this hard for you to decide, you should pick based on:

1. Where your SO will be most happy. Seriously, get them to make a decision for themselves. My SO told me all the supportive BS then, when I got to Houston, said, "I would have much rather been in Charlottesville." If you had TOLD ME THAT, I WOULD HAVE RANKED UVA NUMBER 1!!!!!!!

Explain to them that you have an equal desire to go to either program and you truly want their opinion.

2. The location that you'll be the most happy. You're going to live there for 4 years or more.

Reactions: 1 users
I placed Wake above MCW. Two things really stood out at wake.

1) the PD- during interview season, she was spoken about (highly) by everyone that interviewed there. She seems passionate about her job and the residents she works with.

2) during the preinterview dinner, there were many of the residents showing up with spouses. They all genuinely like their program (even after a few drinks). They seemed like a big happy family. Surprisingly, only few other programs felt this way.

With that said, I would be happy at MCW as well. Have only heard good things about the program. They had everything that I was looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I placed Wake above MCW. Two things really stood out at wake.

1) the PD- during interview season, she was spoken about (highly) by everyone that interviewed there. She seems passionate about her job and the residents she works with.

2) during the preinterview dinner, there were many of the residents showing up with spouses. They all genuinely like their program (even after a few drinks). They seemed like a big happy family. Surprisingly, only few other programs felt this way.

With that said, I would be happy at MCW as well. Have only heard good things about the program. They had everything that I was looking for.

Completely agree with you about Wake. It was my favorite program by a decent margin. The PD was awesome and all the residents/faculty I met were down to earth and seemed like they loved being there. Plus their tiered call system is pretty cool. Distance from family was the only downside for me, otherwise it would have been my top choice.