Last thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conmantlc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had my last night/evening shift tonight at the ER (I work another shift during the day), normally the place closes at 11 pm, and we were looking good to get out on time. Nevertheless, this old lady walks in when we're locking the doors with an enormous dog bit on her arm, with about 10 inches of nasty lacs all over. so we settle in while the doctor does the long task of suturing this LOL who doesn't realize we're all staying many hours past closing so we can help her out. Its times like these when I question if this is really what I want to do, after a long hard shift and having to stay very late in the night to help others. sometimes i just think, "what the hell am I doing in this field, I want to have a normal life". Then after all cuts are sewn, this lady stops on the way out and says "thank you so much, you all were wonderful, I appreciate you staying to help me with my problem when im sure you all want to go to bed". This is why Im doing this. Those of us who are lucky enough to have the desire to go into medicine and the determination to stick it out have an obligation to the masses to be there when they need a hand. im so happy to be going into medicine, even with all the scut work and the crap that goes along with it. Anyway, perhaps this is just 3 am rambling, but I just wanted to share some thoughts in the weeks before I start this huge journey that is medical school and becoming a doctor. Good luck everybody.
Connor

Members don't see this ad.

Right on bro'!!! That's what its all about. Everyone has gone through that same experience and hopefully it reinforces their wish to go into this field. I feel the same way sometimes but this is the only job in the world that I dont mind being grouchy about...haha. Good luck to all of you!

Fred