Last two weeks before DAT: Bio help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hdkyu10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm taking my test in 11 days, and to be honest, after doing all of Bio destroyer and making quizlet flash cards using Feralis notes as a reference, I feel as if I'm studying a bunch of random facts here and there. I know I'm never going to feel fully prepared, but I was wondering what I should do to improve my Bio understanding before the test.

I've skimmed Cliff's a few weeks ago, gone through Bio destroyer, and done all the DAT Bootcamp assessments, getting decent scores on those.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a visual learner, I recommend watching Crash Course videos on YouTube. It really helped me with envisioning how a muscle contracts and how waste moves through the nephron. They also have great representations of mitosis and meiosis

Reactions: 1 user
I second crash course as an amazing resource! What I did to study was go through destroyer, then think through the topics that came up more often (excretory system, taxonomy, etc) that I didn't understand super thoroughly, and then watch crash course videos on them. I took notes on the videos (they move very fast, so I did have to pause a lot haha), and then worked to make sure I could explain the processes to myself. I found it super helpful because instead of memorizing random facts like you said, I was able to fully understand what was going on!

Aside from retaining details and facts on various chapters, Make Make Make sure you know how to solve the genetic probability problems that involve a test cross!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cliff's multiple choices and Destroyer will give you very solid foundation on this.

My version of bio heavily relied on genetics / ecology chapter, but you should really be treating every chapter equally important.

Best luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this on another thread. This should really help you bring everything together.

Also like to add the BOZEMAN science on youtube is a great resource!

Ok, this is what you should do. Memorizing a bunch of facts does not help, except for things that are just facts. Let me explain. You can't just memorize ATP synthesis happens in the mitochondria or thylakoid membrane. What you need to remember is the PROCESS! Think of it as a story. One story can be how energy is formed in a eukaryote cell. Let's begin.

Glucose goes through glycolysis to form 2 pyruvate molecules and 2 ATP and 2NADH. Then Two things can happen, if aerobic go to citric acid (krebs) cycle. If anaerobic go to fermentation. If the latter you turn 2 Pyruvate in to ATP and NAD+, the goal of fermentation is to produce energy AND replenish NAD+ to go through glycolysis again.
Lets say it was aerobic, before the citric acid cycle pyruvate turns into AcetylCoA. The acetylcoA will then turn join oxaloacetate to form a 6 member carbon chain. The citric acid cycle will now cycle through to remove 2 carbons reforming oxaloacetate. BUT!!!! It also produces a lot of NADH and FADH2. These electron carriers will go to the electron transport chain and pump out H+ to the outer mitochondrial matrix. These protons renter the inner matrix through ATP synthase and join O2 an electron acceptor to form H2O and ATP!!!

This story contains a lot of facts and process, but it is more easy to remember.

This is contrary to facts. What does Calcitonin do? Well it would decrease the blood calcium levels. WHY? back to the story board. Calcitonin stimulates osteoBLAST (meaning forming) activity, bones need calcium to form. And the opposite is for parathyroid hormone, it increases osteoCLAST activity. So the fact is it would increase blood calcium.

Another straight fact is, What is calcium's effect on muscle contraction, well it exposes the myosin binding sites by binding to troponin. WHY? Back to the story board.

Stories are more inclusive of information and help put the reason behind what you are learning. It is useless to just know facts, knowing why those facts are the way they are and how they work will be easier to learn TRUST ME and will seem less bother some.

By making this post I reviewed a whole subject by typing a small paragraph will the process. I included maybe a little extra information, but it puts it all into perspective. Let me know if this help.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys need some help, is it imp to read or memorize the solutions of DAT BIO destroyer? I think i remember someone saying the pull questions from the solutions?
Of just doing the questions is enough?
Please help !

Hey guys need some help, is it imp to read or memorize the solutions of DAT BIO destroyer? I think i remember someone saying the pull questions from the solutions?
Of just doing the questions is enough?
Please help !

Dont memorize answers. Understand solutions, and see what questions they can ask from a solution.

Reactions: 1 user