You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
late apply 2013
Started by sdm33
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
you are late and you will regret it.![]()
Yes a lot of members told him not to go for fall 2013. He is preparing his app. for fall 2014 entrance.
1) Did you complete all your pre-reqs up to biochemistry? yes
2) So for the 5 letters, who did you get to write them? professors, MD
3) Did you giver your personal statement to a few people you know well in order to proof read it? YES (Hopefully a least one reader is either a physician or one that understands the application process)
4) How many hours will you have accumulated volunteering before you apply?
not much I just started , and I don't know how is that going to kill my application, do they look of how many hours or for the fact that you are volunteering? Also I am thinking about collecting donations for the Cancer Institution would that help?
5) Do you have a backup date planned if the MCAT does not go well? I am taking it in April, but No backup date, do I even have time to get a back up date?
Curious: are you a US citizen? What you need changes significantly if you're from abroad.
Re:4) it won't necessarily kill your application. They want to know you have experience with medicine, or a clear reason for wanting to go into medicine.
Re:5) You could retake it in June or July, but you would be applying late.
OP you seem good to go (a little worried about the volunteering) but as Bearstronaut has stated it won't kill your app.
Good luck to you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One more thing to note for non trads. General rule of thumb is pre reqs need to have been completed within the last 5 years. This varies widely from school to school, though. I suggest checking out the non trad forum for more information if that will be a concern for you.
One more thing to note for non trads. General rule of thumb is pre reqs need to have been completed within the last 5 years. This varies widely from school to school, though. I suggest checking out the non trad forum for more information if that will be a concern for you.
Really?
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
General rule of thumb is pre reqs need to have been completed within the last 5 years, That does not make sense , it takes 4 to 5 years to finished your B.S, then if you take your master or work for 2 or 3 years that adds to up to 8 years total. so If you took your pre reqs in your 1st or Snd year in college then you are out ? please tell which school have this system, because I would like to call them and find out why and how. thanks
One more thing to note for non trads. General rule of thumb is pre reqs need to have been completed within the last 5 years. This varies widely from school to school, though. I suggest checking out the non trad forum for more information if that will be a concern for you.
Really?
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
This is true for a few schools though. I remember one school stating they won't take apps. from pre-reqs that are 10+ years old.
This is true for a few schools though. I remember one school stating they won't take apps. from pre-reqs that are 10+ years old.
10 is alot more than 5 though
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
Honestly, I think your number 1 priority should be taking as many timed verbal passages as you can find between now and your MCAT date.
I know you must have done decently on the DAT if you were admitted to dental school, but the MCAT verbal section is a different beast (or so I've been told...I have neither taken the DAT nor studied for it).
I know you must have done decently on the DAT if you were admitted to dental school, but the MCAT verbal section is a different beast (or so I've been told...I have neither taken the DAT nor studied for it).10 is alot more than 5 though
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
5 is if you want to be good everywhere. I think 10 is more common, but they still want to see more recent science coursework. I'm not positive about the numbers. I'm pulling from the recesses of my mind since it wasn't relevant for me, so this could be total bs, but I remember at least one school being 5. Like I said, it varies widely.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=923599
Edit: found a list. A few of them are 5 years, but can be replaced with more recent upper level science coursework.
Last edited:
Although you won't get a different answer from admissions offices, I've found examples at almost every school with a hardline recency requirement for pre-reqs to make exceptions, but applying to any of those schools without all your pre-reqs within their timeline is a gamble and you'd have to be an exceptional candidate otherwise.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 834
- Replies
- 25
- Views
- 5K