Late As

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teisuto

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm half making this post to vent so sorry in advance. I'm also aware that I'm in a better spot than a lot of applicants, but I'm sure there are others in my position as well that are nervous!

I was wondering if it is rare for someone to not have an A at this point with 8 interviews. I've heard back from 3, two of which were WL and one was an R (NYU). I feel kind of bad about my WLs because they were my "lower ranked" schools and thus I should have the best chance of getting into those (not exactly true I know, but makes the most sense to me). Right now I'm waiting on 5 decisions, which are mostly T20s and I don't have a lot of hope. I feel like waiting until late Feb/March is going to be so difficult. What are the chances that none of those interviews turns into an A? :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I have nothing to add, but I feel this so intensely hard. I’m in a very similar spot. It is getting increasingly difficult to feel confident as the weeks pass by, but we still need to keep our heads up. Lets hope this spring brings good things for both of us!

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Applying to medical school is a high stakes, highly personal venture that tests one's patience. No one here can reasonably predict what your chances are--as much as we would like to tell you that you're a shoe in. Keep your chin up, do what you can to affect positive change, and learn from the rest. There is an old Russian saying: pray to God but swimming toward shore. That is good advice whether you've been washed out to sea or are applying to medical school.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have nothing to add, but I feel this so intensely hard. I’m in a very similar spot. It is getting increasingly difficult to feel confident as the weeks pass by, but we still need to keep our heads up. Lets hope this spring brings good things for both of us!
I remember you from the waitlist support thread :) We do seem to be in very similar spots. Hoping that in a couple months we'll be in a better spot together!!

Reactions: 1 user
My rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t feel deep concern until Mardi Gras (February 21st).
I hear back from 4/5 in March. :(

Reactions: 1 users
I was on 3 wait lists at this point during my cycle and one finally turned into an acceptance at the end of April when people had to commit to a school, so I think at least one of your pending decisions or WLs will turn into an acceptance! In the meantime you should prep for reapplication just to be safe, but just from my experience and others in my class, I have a feeling you will get accepted somewhere. -A current MS4 🙂

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
In the same position with 8 interviews, 3 WLs and no A. I think we still have a good shot of getting an A, worst case get off a waitlist

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
One of the best students in my class was accepted the week before orientation. Getting in later is not a reflection of your worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Oh hey, a pre-med question I can use my n=1 experience with! Take note that my application was not aiming as high as yours (LM 69, maybe one or two "high-ranking" schools).

Had 8 II (4 DO/4 MD), attended 7. 6 WL and 1 A (no WL). That 1 A came in mid-late March. It was a very stressful cycle full of self-doubt and fear. Wish I would've taken a few deep breaths instead of refreshing SDN 30 times a day minimum, because whether you stress about it or not they'll get back to you on their time, not yours.

• Care
Oh hey, a pre-med question I can use my n=1 experience with! Take note that my application was not aiming as high as yours (LM 69, maybe one or two "high-ranking" schools).

Had 8 II (4 DO/4 MD), attended 7. 6 WL and 1 A (no WL). That 1 A came in mid-late March. It was a very stressful cycle full of self-doubt and fear. Wish I would've taken a few deep breaths instead of refreshing SDN 30 times a day minimum, because whether you stress about it or not they'll get back to you on their time, not yours.
Thank you for sharing!! <3 I think you described my (and other posters in this thread) feelings exactly and it's so good to hear that it worked out for you