How late is too late to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sag21

Reaction score
If I take MCAT in Aug, is it too late to apply for 23-24 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

An August MCAT date would mean your score releases in September. You will not be considered complete until this score comes through and adcoms won't even look at your application until then. For context, the rest of the applicants who are early submitters will have been getting interview invites since July and scheduling those dates as soon as August. So yes, there will likely be drastically fewer interview spots available to you at this point in time, and wouldn't recommend applying with a late MCAT date.

Also, your previous post said you have a 520 MCAT, so I'm confused if that is just a casual estimate or an actual score you received. Hypothetical MCAT scores will change the type of advice you get around here.

Edit: Sorry, I typed January and meant July

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you are getting 520 on the practice FL AAMC exams I would just go ahead and take the test as soon as possible and get your application in early. The difference between an applicant with a 520 vs a 522 vs a 525 etc would likely be negligible

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to improve my score which is why I am planning to take a later test
520 is the 97th percentile.
The confidence interval around 520 includes the 99th percentile.

"Improvement" in your score will have no effect on your outcome.
A report delay until September will have an effect on your outcome.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
It is what I am getting now based on official practice tests I would like to improve my score which is why I am planning to take a later test
Take it next month in May, submit your primaries and secondaries all before July ends, then you won't have to be late. Also, if you're at a 520, that's plenty and you don't need to push for a higher score.

Reactions: 1 users
It is what I am getting now based on official practice tests I would like to improve my score which is why I am planning to take a later test
A 520 MCAT is excellent. A completion date in September is not.

You have a choice to make. You can either apply earlier in the cycle with an anticipated MCAT of 520, which is highly competitive, assuming you have the rest of the qualifications necessary to apply effectively, Or you can attempt to raise that score higher, which may make -0- difference, and apply late this cycle, which will reduce your chances of acceptance, or wait until next year.

I'd take that test ASAP -- if you have the other requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey bro, I applied super late this cycle, and let me tell you it was the biggest mistake ever. So, I would suggest taking a gap year and using it to bolster your letters of rec/experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
The reason for late date is because I want to bolster my clinical volunteering and non clinical in summer before I submit my application. Can I update my application with activities later after I submitted my application?
You cannot update activities after submitting,
Seriously, @sag21 you had some posts in the past planning to apply in the 2024-25 cycle so you would have time to build up your activities which were lacking at the moment.
Don’t give in to the temptation to rush it and apply right away or you may get a disappointing result.

Reactions: 1 user
The reason for late date is because I want to bolster my clinical volunteering and non clinical in summer before I submit my application. Can I update my application with activities later after I submitted my application?
Not in any meaningful way. Updates are for landmark changes, like a published manuscript or a major award. Otherwise, nobody is going to go back and recalculate your number of volunteer hours based on an interim update.

Let's just be real here. You haven't taken the MCAT. You apparently don't have sufficient clinical OR nonclinical volunteering. It does not sound like you are ready to submit your application this year--and in fact, you said in your thread earlier this week that you were planning on taking a gap year. I think you should follow that instinct and apply when you are ready. Trying to rush tends to lead to mistakes.

Reactions: 2 users