Late-comer to Optometry. 26 and considering applying, need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwanT21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am 26 years old and I received my BS in Biology in 2013. I am currently a Certified Orthoptist in Chicago and I work with two optometrists almost daily, often seeing their patients in my own clinic. Additionally I am about half way done with my Masters in Clinical Vision Research from NOVA (remotely). I want to apply to optometry school but I need to go back and take organic chemistry, microbiology, and 2nd semester physics (I never took any of these). It's been a long time since I took gen chem or any other biology classes and I'm worried about the OAT especially since I work full time and worry about how much time I currently can devote to studying and taking classes. It's been difficult to find classes for Orgo and Physics to fit my work schedule and I have even contemplated quitting my job in order to fulfill these pre-reqs. My Overall GPA from undergrad wasn't the greatest (3.1) but I feel very strongly about Optometry. Given my age, my background and my GPA, does anyone have any general sense as to whether or not Optometry school is even a realistic expectation for me? I would appreciate any insight that anyone has to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get the scores, then go for it. If you can't, then don't. Do you believe in yourself to do it and step up?

It sounds like you have a good foundation and a strong passion for optometry.
As far as the OAT, I would take the classes you have left before you take the OAT. The main reason I say this is because it will strongly prepare you for the test and also teach you things you may not currently know.
I took the OAT about 6 years after leaving under grad and I did ok (300AA 270 TS) but my scores were holding me back. I took a few months to really study my physics which I took in 2004-2005 and was able to improve my physics score from 250 to 330. I also freshened up on my chemistry and ultimately I scored a 330AA and a 320 TS onto second OAT. I was accepted to Nova and Midwestern for this fall and I will be attending Midwestern.
If you are willing to put in the work you can definitely get to where you want to be.
I just turned 30 by the way so don't feel like your age will hold you back at all!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as the OAT, I would take the classes you have left before you take the OAT. The main reason I say this is because it will strongly prepare you for the test and also teach you things you may not currently know.
I took the OAT about 6 years after leaving under grad and I did ok (300AA 270 TS) but my scores were holding me back. I took a few months to really study my physics which I took in 2004-2005 and was able to improve my physics score from 250 to 330. I also freshened up on my chemistry and ultimately I scored a 330AA and a 320 TS onto second OAT. I was accepted to Nova and Midwestern for this fall and I will be attending Midwestern.
If you are willing to put in the work you can definitely get to where you want to be.
I just turned 30 by the way so don't feel like your age will hold you back at all!
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond because you definitely put my mind at ease. I'm glad all your hard work paid off and I'm going to try to apply the same sentiment to myself. Congrats on getting accepted!

Awesome. Did you apply to any CA or NY schools if you don't mind me asking?

No I applied to schools in AZ, TX and FL.

No I applied to schools in AZ, TX and FL.
Congrats. Was there anything in particular that made you choose Midwestern over Nova? Midwestern seems more competitive to get in.

I really liked the campus and the Glendale area. I liked Ft lauderdale but the area was a little crazy for me. The weather, cost of living and proximity to family played a small factor.
All in all I felt I would get a quality education at both schools and be able to practice optometry at a high level.

Late 20s here, starting this fall. I was working full time and took Orgo 1-2, Bio 2, Gen chem 2, micro, biochem and several other humanities that were required. I was fortunate enough to have a community college that offered everything but Biochem in evening glasses, though I did have to take a day off per week for Bio2 one semester (AM only) I'm lucky my supervisor is extremely supportive. I work in a large ophthalmology institution and with your experience as an orthoptist (COT myself) the clinical skills portions are going to be a breeze for us. If you liked the field enough to become an orthoptist, go all the way and buckle down and get the prereqs done before taking the OAT. Having taken the classes recently and with a month of studying everything, I was able to get TS 390 AA 380. I was 26 when I decided to actively go towards optom. It's not too late, the experience you have with your job is invaluable for school. You'll be leaps ahead of others. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Late 20s here, starting this fall. I was working full time and took Orgo 1-2, Bio 2, Gen chem 2, micro, biochem and several other humanities that were required. I was fortunate enough to have a community college that offered everything but Biochem in evening glasses, though I did have to take a day off per week for Bio2 one semester (AM only) I'm lucky my supervisor is extremely supportive. I work in a large ophthalmology institution and with your experience as an orthoptist (COT myself) the clinical skills portions are going to be a breeze for us. If you liked the field enough to become an orthoptist, go all the way and buckle down and get the prereqs done before taking the OAT. Having taken the classes recently and with a month of studying everything, I was able to get TS 390 AA 380. I was 26 when I decided to actively go towards optom. It's not too late, the experience you have with your job is invaluable for school. You'll be leaps ahead of others. Good luck.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, it really does put my mind at ease. Also major props on all your accomplishments and the work you put in with a full time job, that's seriously impressive. Those OAT scores are amazing! When did you start studying for it? What was your plan of attack in terms of prep for OAT?