Late July MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personally, I would take the 7/6 MCAT, that means you will get your scores in August and be able to send out your primary. Even at that time you will be getting into the first big wave of interview season by the time you get your application complete at schools (secondaries, letters, ect...), any later would worry me personally. But that is my personal opinion... As far as the schools you are applying to, if money isn't an issue, why not apply more broadly?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am actually in the EXACT same boat as you. I think I will be sending in my primary applications in the next several days so at least that get somewhat processed and have the MCAT sent once I receive it in August. I too am changing from the July 6 to the 26

A 28 on July 26 is not going to be any better than a 26 on July 6.

?? really :( I'm in the same boat too! lol fml

Take the exam when you're ready to get the highest score possible.

I'm in the same boat. If I don't see myself scoring 25+ on AAMC before June 22, I'm postponing.

If you're confident that you'll be scoring 26+, with nothing less than 7, don't postpone.

26 is within range for most DO schools. You'll be fine with it. Just apply broadly. Good luck.

Although 26 is within range, for me personally I need to perform stella to compensate for a subpar GPA, although it is only .14 below average, I feel as though a 30+ would really help stand out with the GPA I have

Just got a 33 on my latest AAMC :love: so I am not postponing. Good luck everyone!

A 28 on July 26 is not going to be any better than a 26 on July 6.

I don't know about that.

Interviews don't generally start until late August/September right? If you can be complete by late August you'll still be in the early running for interviews.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding of things. Goro would be the person to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about a 30+?

Sure, a 30+ is significantly above the DO average. Don't count on a 30+ though unless you're consistantly 30+ on your practice tests.

I don't know about that.

Interviews don't generally start until late August/September right? If you can be complete by late August you'll still be in the early running for interviews.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding of things. Goro would be the person to know.

If the OP takes it on July 26, the score won't be released until Aug 28. My understanding of AMCAS/AACOMAS is you can submit without an MCAT score, but they will not verify until you have a score. If they don't verify it, schools don't see it, correct? Doesn't it take about 4 weeks to get verified at that point in the cycle?

Sure, a 30+ is significantly above the DO average. Don't count on a 30+ though unless you're consistantly 30+ on your practice tests.

If the OP takes it on July 26, the score won't be released until Aug 28. My understanding of AMCAS/AACOMAS is you can submit without an MCAT score, but they will not verify until you have a score. If they don't verify it, schools don't see it, correct? Doesn't it take about 4 weeks to get verified at that point in the cycle?

They have verified mine... but until the score is released, the schools typically don't look at your app :)

I thought they would verify it and you would just update with your score when you receive it.

I've post-poned several times and finally settled on 7/14. I just decided that I never ever want to take this horrid test again and I might as well do the best I can and have my score for next time, even if I dont get in this time.

I am well aware of what I can and can not count on scoring based on my practice tests,

I am already verified, so yes, you can be verified without an MCAT score.

Well if it's verified then you will probably be ok on Aug 28. Best not to postpone unless absolutely necessary though.

I am well aware of what I can and can not count on scoring based on my practice tests,

I am already verified, so yes, you can be verified without an MCAT score.

You haven't received any secondaries yet though right? I was wondering if any schools will send them out before they receive your MCAT scores

You haven't received any secondaries yet though right? I was wondering if any schools will send them out before they receive your MCAT scores

I was verified prior to submitting my application (had my coursework filled in and transcript was submitted the first day AACOMAS opened) so I am not sure about receiving secondaries before any MCAT score.

Can anyone comment further?

Verified, not submitted. I don't really see a point in rushing to submit if I am already verified. Should I still submit?

I was waiting until after I take my MCAT to finish perfecting my PS.

Verified, not submitted. I don't really see a point in rushing to submit if I am already verified. Should I still submit?

I was waiting until after I take my MCAT to finish perfecting my PS.

Wait... how can you be verified without submitting?

As soon as the application opened I entered my coursework and my transcript had been received and I was magically verified by the en of May! I didn't think it was possible either ha. Apparently you can be Pre verified.

As soon as the application opened I entered my coursework and my transcript had been received and I was magically verified by the en of May! I didn't think it was possible either ha. Apparently you can be Pre verified.

How do they know if we really entered all our coursework? Seems a bit odd.

Either way, you can still submit without the MCAT. Its really up to you, the schools won't really start considering you until they have your MCAT score anyways. So while you are waiting for your scores I would start trying to knock out the secondary prompts so you can send those secondaries in ASAP.

Not sure how they know, but my application is definitely already verified.

What happens if you release the MCAT score in mid July which unfortunately turned out quite low...but update on the application that you will be retaking. Would school reject you to send out the secondary, or give you another chance at it because you identified yourself as a potential retaker?