Late Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gardy55

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have not been able to find any other threads or information about this online, but I have a question concerning one of my letters of recommendation. My orgo professor writes a lot of letters for his students and is convinced that he can submit his letters to his MD applicants after they apply. However he is unsure about whether he can do this for DO applicants. I would like to apply as early as possible (May-June), but I want to make sure his letter is considered in my application.
Is there any information about this on AACOMAS? If so can someone link it so I can send it to him.
If he can submit it late and have it seen with secondaries like he seems to believe that works too. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs have a checklist with their secondaries and if you don’t have all the letters they require at that time when you submit your secondary, your application won’t be looked at for a possible interview until it is satisfied. So that is something to consider.

I would explain to them that you are applying very early and would need it ahead time. There is no point in messing around and delaying things. I understand some professors can be difficult about timelines but hopefully you can sit down with them and discuss it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you need that letter to complete your file then obviously you can not be reviewed until it is received. If it is an additional letter then you should be aware it will be reviewed but perhaps your complete file will have already been reviewed and it may or may not make a difference. I always advise that a file should be as complete as possible the first time. To expect an admission team to review and re-review files when they receive thousands of applications is off the mark.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I have not been able to find any other threads or information about this online, but I have a question concerning one of my letters of recommendation. My orgo professor writes a lot of letters for his students and is convinced that he can submit his letters to his MD applicants after they apply. However he is unsure about whether he can do this for DO applicants. I would like to apply as early as possible (May-June), but I want to make sure his letter is considered in my application.
Is there any information about this on AACOMAS? If so can someone link it so I can send it to him.
If he can submit it late and have it seen with secondaries like he seems to believe that works too. Thanks!
If you're asking for a letter now, and they can't hit a May/June deadline, find someone else to write a letter.

Reactions: 1 user