Late recommendation letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saha612

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does it hurt your application if you are missing one letter as of the deadline? It look like SOPHAS won't even process until they receive all of them- is that right?

I'm so stressed out right now. Three of the schools I want to apply to, including the UW where I really want to go, are due on Monday. I gave all of recommenders plenty of notice, and two are in.

My third, and most important letter, is from a teacher who is in Rwanda right now. We had been emailing back and forth with no problem, but now her inbox is full, and she's not receiving them. I don't have a phone number, and I don't know what's going on with her. I've tried everything to get ahold of her, but cannot.

If she is late writing her letter, but everything else is in on time, will that really hurt my chances? Will it even be possible to submit? I've been working so hard on this. If something so silly gets in my way I will be so sad..

Members don't see this ad.

are you sure they are due monday? im pretty sure they are due on their deadline, unless they have a priority deadline which is monday and a regular which is in january like every other sophas school

are you sure they are due monday? im pretty sure they are due on their deadline, unless they have a priority deadline which is monday and a regular which is in january like every other sophas school

UW- APPLICATION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 1 (or the next business day if December 1st falls on a weekend).

UCLA - The application deadline for the 2009-2010 academic year is December 1, 2008.

Berkeley- The application deadline for Fall 2009 is December 1, 2008.

That sucks :( Do you think if I call that maybe I can reason with them for an extension?

Hey saha, I had the same problem (one of my recommenders absconded to Zambia, and another one got sacked without my knowing it and completely disappeared!). It worked out fine by the way. Have you submitted your Sophas app? If you haven't, I'm pretty sure in the directions it says to submit it as soon as you're done with your part and not to worry about waiting for the letters to come in. I'm also fairly sure that if you have two letters in, that SOPHAS *will* process it and send it to the schools, and just send the last letter when it arrives. I did talk to the schools when I had that problem and they said not to worry. I didn't apply to any of the schools that you are but the ones that I did apply to (Tulane, BU and UAB) were all very nice and understanding about it. Actually, I had an additional problem with my transcript (that sacked professor who disappeared would not give me a grade for my classes with him) and they were totally cool with my sending the entire application late while I waited to get my grades. So at least you are better off than I was at that moment! I would get in touch with your schools' admissions people to let them know what's going on.