Late Step 2 fail, need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlobalGyn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really need some advice from y'all...

I'm an FMG who was participating in this years match until I found out this morning that I failed Step 2 by a very small margin (1 point). Now I must withdraw. Other than waiting until next year, do I have any other options to get a spot this year?

1) What about Ob-Gyn prelim positions? Is there a post-match or non-match process?

2) What do you think about contacting programs I interviewed with and asking about signing outside the match? (Which I can do as an FMG.) Obviously I'll re-take Step 2 soon, and do my best not to fail. Do I contact them all? One program? Does that put me in a worse position if I apply next year or should I go for it?

3) Is there another option I haven't considered?

Am frustrated and freaking-out a little bit. Any advice to offer? Thank you in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Really need some advice from y'all...

I'm an FMG who was participating in this years match until I found out this morning that I failed Step 2 by a very small margin (1 point). Now I must withdraw. Other than waiting until next year, do I have any other options to get a spot this year?

1) What about Ob-Gyn prelim positions? Is there a post-match or non-match process?

2) What do you think about contacting programs I interviewed with and asking about signing outside the match? (Which I can do as an FMG.) Obviously I'll re-take Step 2 soon, and do my best not to fail. Do I contact them all? One program? Does that put me in a worse position if I apply next year or should I go for it?

3) Is there another option I haven't considered?

Am frustrated and freaking-out a little bit. Any advice to offer? Thank you in advance!!!

1) there are usually several ObGyn prelims that are offered after the match. check the CREOG site

2) i would contact them one at a time, and move down the list. at this point, you have nothing to lose. you are coming out of the match, so just try to get a job. but, there are not likely to be any spots avail this way, as all programs had to declare in January what spots would be offered through the match. that means that unless they held a spot back for some unknown reason, they have to go via the match

3) take and pass step 2 ASAP, and get your ECFMG certificate. check the CREOG list daily for open PGY 1 spots. and be ready to take whatever comes up, whereever it is.

there should be some spots open, but i would expect that it will be tough to secure. your best bet may be an off cycle spot, after july 1, if somebody quits, gets fired, or can't start the position for whatever reason

good luck!

I wouldn't release your new Step 2 scores until Feb 28th if that's possible to do.

I wouldn't release your new Step 2 scores until Feb 28th if that's possible to do.

As an IMG, it won't matter if he releases them or not. He will be withdrawn from the match.