M3 most likely applying OBGYN with low step score - Need Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kwai

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am most likely applying OBGYN with a 212 step score. I haven't taken Step 2 but have dedicated time in June/July to study for it. I am making a list of programs I want to apply too and making sure they are community-based and hopefully within my reach. I sadly only got a Pass on my OBGYN rotation and a High pass on surgery. I have great comments and remarks but the grade isn't there. I did have a few questions about OBGYN programs:
What are my chances at academic programs? Should I apply with a parallel plan? When programs say they have a min interview step 1 score on frieda and residency tooler, is that really a cutoff or can my Step 2 score help me?
Thanks for all the help! I would really love some advice and if I should pursue this path.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I am most likely applying OBGYN with a 212 step score. I haven't taken Step 2 but have dedicated time in June/July to study for it. I am making a list of programs I want to apply too and making sure they are community-based and hopefully within my reach. I sadly only got a Pass on my OBGYN rotation and a High pass on surgery. I have great comments and remarks but the grade isn't there. I did have a few questions about OBGYN programs:
What are my chances at academic programs? Should I apply with a parallel plan? When programs say they have a min interview step 1 score on frieda and residency tooler, is that really a cutoff or can my Step 2 score help me?
Thanks for all the help! I would really love some advice and if I should pursue this path.

You have a chance. Won't be Hopkins or anything but you can get into a lower tier academic program.

Your Step 2 can help. You need to show substantial improvement.

I scored lower than you on Step 1 (197) and then got a 242 on Step 2.

Interviewed at a lot of places. My application had some other issues so ended up matching at a community program but went on to fellowship etc.

Do well on Step 2.
Apply very broadly. I applied to well over a 100 programs. Went on 20+ interviews.

It's cheaper and easier to get a residency spot the first time rather than under apply and not match.

Go
You have a chance. Won't be Hopkins or anything but you can get into a lower tier academic program.

Your Step 2 can help. You need to show substantial improvement.

I scored lower than you on Step 1 (197) and then got a 242 on Step 2.

Interviewed at a lot of places. My application had some other issues so ended up matching at a community program but went on to fellowship etc.

Do well on Step 2.
Apply very broadly. I applied to well over a 100 programs. Went on 20+ interviews.

It's cheaper and easier to get a residency spot the first time rather than under apply and not match.
Gotcha. Thank you so much! My school wants me to dual apply and I understand their concern but is this a path you would recommend? It seems like if I did I would have to choose which hospitals I would do OBGYN and the parallel plan and this would hurt me to applying to OBGYN programs? I also know that I want to do OBGYN. I don't think I would be as happy in another field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go

Gotcha. Thank you so much! My school wants me to dual apply and I understand their concern but is this a path you would recommend? It seems like if I did I would have to choose which hospitals I would do OBGYN and the parallel plan and this would hurt me to applying to OBGYN programs? I also know that I want to do OBGYN. I don't think I would be as happy in another field.
The answer to this depends on what it is you like about OBGYN. If you like the obstetrics part more, you can do obstetrics as a family medicine physician. As a bonus, many of the family medicine programs with strong Ob training are unopposed, meaning they do not have corresponding OBGYN residencies (or any other residencies for that matter) at their site, which makes a parallel application much easier. If you like the gynecology part, you can still do some office procedures as a family medicine physician (Paps, colposcopy, contraception including LARC insertions), but you will have to say good buy to gynecology surgery.

If you truly see yourself doing nothing else but OBGYN, then you should try to apply to as many programs as you can to maximize your chances of matching now. Ob is definitely not the most competitive specialty, but it is still moderately competitive and a Step 1 of 212 definitely doesn't guarantee a match (for comparison, I scored a 220 and didn't match the first time I applied. There were several other factors at play, but that was still 8 years ago and things have only gotten more intense). But like anonperson said, substantial improvement on Step 2 will definitely increase your chances. Just remember that you are at your most competitive as an applicant during MS4. That's why your school is discussing dual applying, the overall match rate between MS4 and graduating drops from mid 90s to 50%, even for USMDs.

The answer to this depends on what it is you like about OBGYN. If you like the obstetrics part more, you can do obstetrics as a family medicine physician. As a bonus, many of the family medicine programs with strong Ob training are unopposed, meaning they do not have corresponding OBGYN residencies (or any other residencies for that matter) at their site, which makes a parallel application much easier. If you like the gynecology part, you can still do some office procedures as a family medicine physician (Paps, colposcopy, contraception including LARC insertions), but you will have to say good buy to gynecology surgery.

If you truly see yourself doing nothing else but OBGYN, then you should try to apply to as many programs as you can to maximize your chances of matching now. Ob is definitely not the most competitive specialty, but it is still moderately competitive and a Step 1 of 212 definitely doesn't guarantee a match (for comparison, I scored a 220 and didn't match the first time I applied. There were several other factors at play, but that was still 8 years ago and things have only gotten more intense). But like anonperson said, substantial improvement on Step 2 will definitely increase your chances. Just remember that you are at your most competitive as an applicant during MS4. That's why your school is discussing dual applying, the overall match rate between MS4 and graduating drops from mid 90s to 50%, even for USMDs.
Hi Thank you so much this! Sorry it took awhile to respond back. I really want to do OBGYN and after talking to people about general surgery I do not want to dual apply. My school has made me meet them several times now trying to get me to dual apply and I am getting frustrated just because I want to focus all my energy on OB. My other question is on Frieda and Residency tooler, when programs have a min step 1 cut off, is that a hard cut-off? What if I improve on Step 2 will they still not look at my application?

Hi Thank you so much this! Sorry it took awhile to respond back. I really want to do OBGYN and after talking to people about general surgery I do not want to dual apply. My school has made me meet them several times now trying to get me to dual apply and I am getting frustrated just because I want to focus all my energy on OB. My other question is on Frieda and Residency tooler, when programs have a min step 1 cut off, is that a hard cut-off? What if I improve on Step 2 will they still not look at my application?
Frieda wasn't always the most reliable when I was applying, but some programs definitely have a hard step cut offs that automatically screen out applications. The most reliable source of information will be the program coordinators at places you're interested in applying. If your score is above the cut off, an improvement on Step 2 will help.