Late switch to Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently started 4th year, and I also chose to switch to Rads recently. Obviously, this is post-VSAS for most places, which is less than ideal. Do you all have any recommendations with ways to contact programs I'm interested in? Thank you all, and I will appreciate any input you have for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

More info is required. DO or MD? Stats? Have you done a 3rd year elective in DR or IR?

Reactions: 1 user
US MD - mid/low tier without a home program
Step 1 in mid 240's - Not AOA
I did 2 separate mini rotations this year, and I had one bad experience that pushed me away from pursuing Rads for a while. However, I've definitely realized that experience was an exception rather than the rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
US MD - mid/low tier without a home program
Step 1 in mid 240's - Not AOA
I did 2 separate mini rotations this year, and I had one bad experience that pushed me away from pursuing Rads for a while. However, I've definitely realized that experience was an exception rather than the rule.

Any more details about this experience that initially turned you off rads? I considered radiology as an MS-1 but thought IM-->cards was a better plan for me, so I was on that path. I ultimately made a late switch to rads in late June since IM was my last rotation as an MS-3. I don't think the late switch hurt my application.

Any more details about this experience that initially turned you off rads? I considered radiology as an MS-1 but thought IM-->cards was a better plan for me, so I was on that path. I ultimately made a late switch to rads in late June since IM was my last rotation as an MS-3. I don't think the late switch hurt my application.

Yeah, so this guy's job basically had him reading scans only, no procedures at all. Hearing that sucked because procedures are part of the draw towards Radiology for me. He told me that what he does is what I should expect to do because the vast majority of Rads people don't do procedures anymore.

I realize now I should've sought other mentors in the field before switching to something else for a while. I am very comfortable with my decision now, and I'm trying to dive in 110%, I'm just afraid I'm a little too late this year for aways.

Yeah, so this guy's job basically had him reading scans only, no procedures at all. Hearing that sucked because procedures are part of the draw towards Radiology for me. He told me that what he does is what I should expect to do because the vast majority of Rads people don't do procedures anymore.

I realize now I should've sought other mentors in the field before switching to something else for a while. I am very comfortable with my decision now, and I'm trying to dive in 110%, I'm just afraid I'm a little too late this year for aways.

The majority of radiologists do not do procedures unless they are IR, breast, or MSK....

The majority of radiologists do not do procedures unless they are IR, breast, or MSK....

True. Although, I'm from a rural area, and I want to work there at the end of training. At those hospitals, all of the Rads guys do procedures.

True. Although, I'm from a rural area, and I want to work there at the end of training. At those hospitals, all of the Rads guys do procedures.

IR is the only field in radiology (soon to be its own specialty, starting from my year) where procedure is the primary focus.

If you like patient ownership and longtidinal care plus procedures, IM specialty offer more of that.

If you LOVE the OR, do surgery. Once in awhile I still think about training in surgery after IR.