1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Late third year and submitting CAS?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by sparticus, Jul 17, 2006.

1. sparticus

sparticus sparticus
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am on my last rotation of third year and the shelf exam is on July 28th. I have been told I will not get my shelf score back for 2-6 wks. :( I believe I have two options:

1. Submitting an incomplete transcript including clinical evals of my last rotation with a letter from the clerkship director explaining the delay in processing

2. Wait and pray the results come in on time, to submit a complete med school transcript?

I am wondering if other students have been in the same position and if so what they recommend doing?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jokestr

Jokestr Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually submitted my CAS about 1-2 months before I finished my Int Med. rotation! I was very late in finishing third year for non-school related issues. Dean's letters don't go out until later anyways, and my comments from my IM preceptors were included in the Dean's letter. I wouldn't worry too much about sending CAS in early depending on why you are finishing third year late. If you have a good reason it will give you something to talk about on interviews, and possibly mention in your PS. Either way, in general I would say it is better to get your CAS in earlier rather than later. Like I said, I submitted my app before I was finished with third year rotations and I still got accepted to one of my top schools.
    Good luck!

4. diopter

diopter Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with the above... don't sweat it... In terms of M3 core clerkships, I only had Medicine and Surgery on my transcript when I sent in my CAS... and actually finished psych and fam med post-match... Step 1 and LORs matter a lot more than clerkship grades.