1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Late third year and submitting CAS?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by sparticus, Jul 17, 2006.

1. sparticus

sparticus sparticus
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am on my last rotation of third year and the shelf exam is on July 28th. I have been told I will not get my shelf score back for 2-6 wks. :( I believe I have two options:

1. Submitting an incomplete transcript including clinical evals of my last rotation with a letter from the clerkship director explaining the delay in processing

2. Wait and pray the results come in on time, to submit a complete med school transcript?

I am wondering if other students have been in the same position and if so what they recommend doing?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jokestr

Jokestr Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually submitted my CAS about 1-2 months before I finished my Int Med. rotation! I was very late in finishing third year for non-school related issues. Dean's letters don't go out until later anyways, and my comments from my IM preceptors were included in the Dean's letter. I wouldn't worry too much about sending CAS in early depending on why you are finishing third year late. If you have a good reason it will give you something to talk about on interviews, and possibly mention in your PS. Either way, in general I would say it is better to get your CAS in earlier rather than later. Like I said, I submitted my app before I was finished with third year rotations and I still got accepted to one of my top schools.
    Good luck!

4. diopter

diopter Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with the above... don't sweat it... In terms of M3 core clerkships, I only had Medicine and Surgery on my transcript when I sent in my CAS... and actually finished psych and fam med post-match... Step 1 and LORs matter a lot more than clerkship grades.