Late TUCOM Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SG

Hi all,

I applied very late (at the deadline) to a handful of schools. TUCOM is my 1st choice, and luckily they sent me an invitation to interview. My interview is scheduled for the end of April, and I was wondering if any can give me some advice on how to prepare. Also, how much does it hurt my chances, that the interview is so late? Does anyone know if TUCOM's class is almost full? Lastly, are their any stats showing number of interviews vs. acceptance offers at TUCOM? Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

SG,
Congrats, on getting an interview. I interviewed at TUCOM in November. From what I remember, they do a panel interview. Meaning that you interview with 5 or 6 candidates along with 4 to 5 interviewers. This is can be somewhat stressful! They asked questions based on your secondary application and on your letters of recommendation. So be prepared to know what you've done. The interviewers have no idea what your GPA or MCAT scores are, so if they're low, there's no need to give explanations unless they specifically ask. I remembered the Director of Admissions telling us that the panel interview was designed to see how students can communicate, since you'll have to do it for your patients. Also, remember that while another interviewee is speaking, be sure to keep your eyeballs on him/her. I felt that some of the faculty members were trying to see if I was engaged in other peoples comments, since listening is also another important quality. As you may have heard, be yourself. If you stumble over a difficult question, which I did, TAKE YOUR TIME and REGROUP. It's ok to be nervous and to forget things. There were clearly, better speakers than me at my interview, but if you have confidence, you should be fine. Remember confidence comes from practice and knowing what you've done in order to be granted that interview. As far as your chances, it's hard to say. I believe that TUCOM has rolling admissions, so with these type of schools, your shooting for 50-60 spots as compared to 120-140 spots earlier in the year. But hey, you got an interview, don't sweat it yet. Finally, TUCOM will let you know the next week, if your accepted. I was accepted at TUCOM, but I will be going to CCOM this fall. If you have any other questions, you can email. GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks so much for the advice. Did they ask any academic questions? In the panel format how is the time alotted amongst the different interviewees? Thanks again...

Members don't see this ad :)
They didn't ask academic questions per se, but they did ask me about a presentation I did in one of my classes. If they do ask questions about academics, they will probably ask you what that class meant to you personally (i.e. why you like that class or didn't). As far as time allotted, I found that there were no restrictions. They won't cut you off while your speaking, but generally I tried to be concise. Once you start to ramble, you might fall into trouble. Be clear about what your saying and be sure to look at all your interviewers while your talking. Hope that helps!

I interviewed at TUCOM in the middle of february and, from what the dean told me, the class was nearly full except for a few select spots that they always reserve for exceptional applicants. If you're interviewing in april then you're certainly bound to be placed on the wait list. But don't lose hope yet. According to the dean, if you are placed on the "high" category wait list, then you are near certain to get accepted (but not 100% certain). If you are placed on the "middle" category wait list, then you still have a pretty good shot at getting in. But recognize that being at the middle-high end of the list increases your chances greater than being at the middle-low end. And if you are placed on the "low" category wait list, then your chances of acceptance are too unpredictable. That is, it all depends on how many people decide to accept TUCOM as their med school, which is difficult to know. If relatively many people decline TUCOM, then people from the "low" category will be chosen. However, my guess is that TUCOM is gaining in popularity and that little to no people will be selected from the "low" category wait list. That's just my humble guess though since I'm definitely no rocket scientist.

Hi prolixless,

Thanks for the input. Have you heard back from them yet? It is pretty disheartening to know that the best I can do is to get on the wait list. Oh well. By the way, was their anything interesting or unusual about your interview?

SG

i'm delurking for a bit to answer this one...

i think leegp's advice above is really good and i wholeheartedly endorse it. with one teeny little exception (bet you saw that coming). i interviewd at TUCOM and the interviewers most certainly knew about my grades and my mcat. they asked me about both. in fact, of all of my interviews, the TUCOM interviewers asked the most questions about my numbers. right there, in front of everyone else! they asked one of the other guys about his MCAT too. in general, i would say the interviewers are very well prepared. they know your file. they know the other peoples' files too.

in spite of this seemingly intimidating atmosphere, i would say all-in-all it was NOT an intimidating experience. they're looking for honest, mature answers. they want to see if you address everyone in the room or just one person. they want to see if you pay attention - they can potentially ask about other folk's answers. they aren't there to embarass you; one of my interviewers helped me along when i stumbled a bit. i wasn't perfect, but i got in.

know this... if they're interviewing you at this late date, you're good. you must be good considering you applied late. when i interviewed in january, they told us over 4000 people applied this year, most of whom applied before you. and yet, you're getting an interview and most of them are not. as for the waitlist situation, they told us in the past many of the "high" waitlist people got a shot. some of the mid level people did too. dr. haight (great guy!) will explain all of it when you get there. so who knows?

good luck! hope to see you in class next year.
-hdawg

SG,
I know nothing about you so I shouldn't assume you'll end up on the wait list. Sorry 'bout that. You may actually be one of the excellent students they are saving seats for. Also, remember the fact that you were invited to interview means that they're VERY interested in you. If you're interview goes well, then you will most likely be placed on the "high" wait list, in which case you are near certain to be accepted.

Anyway, my response about TUCOM's interview is somewhat different from healthydawgs. The dean actually reinforced to our interview group that we would NOT be asked about our MCAT scores and GPA. According to him, that is why they do a preliminary screening before they send you a secondary application. So if you received a secondary application (which you obviously did) then that means they were satisfied with your academic stats and you won't be asked about them during the interview. I don't know when healthydawg interviewed or what the circumstances were; all I know is that the dean explicity stated that we would not be asked about factors relating to GPA and MCAT scores. And, in fact, during our interview, not a single person was asked about academic stats.

With regard to my interview, there were four interviewees including myself and four staff interviewers. Each of us was asked one question from each of the four staff, and occassionally there were follow up questions to each question. They pretty much ask you questions that relate to your file, so it is wise to remember what you wrote in your personal statement and on the secondary application. Try to predict questions they might ask you. One girl who was interviewing with me had a background in research so she got asked a lot of questions relating to that. The other guys with me were asked about their jobs and certain extracurricular activities they participated in. Being that I'm a philosophy major, all of the questions asked of me were related to my major in some way or another. My advice is to just be confident, humble, and stay focussed on what everyone is saying. One way that helped me to relieve anxiety was to pretend I wasn't talking to a group of adcoms but rather to a group of strangers who are truly interested in knowing me as a friend. I ended up on the high wait list and was then sent a letter of acceptance a few weeks later. I declined their offer mostly due to location factors and not because of the quality of the school. The school itself seems like a great place and, as leotiger can tell you, its students place quite well in good residencies. In fact, the day I interviewed was the same day the students were receiving their results for the osteopathic residency match. . .I think something like all but one or two students matched into an osteopathic residency program. Take that for what it's worth. I don't know how the match went for those going the allopathic route, but I'm sure it went well. Anyway, best of luck to you.

Chris

Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the support. I think that the greatest fear is the fear of the unknown, and exchanging messages with you has helped eliminate, somewhat, that fear. Thanks again, and I hope that I am able to put your advice into good practice.