Late vs. early interview date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhooppi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Have you folks heard if there was an advantage to interviewing late?
My friend was telling me that by interviewing later, selection committee members will have a fresh impression of the applicant.
However, in my mind I felt that the interviewer will be tired of doing interviews by the end of the season and has heard enough of what applicants have to say.

wt do you think?

I couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Such is said in Iserson's, however whether or not that is entirely true is subjective. I would say it makes sense, but what do I know...everyone is different!

I actually have had one program offer me Nov-Jan to interview but then specifically state in the interview email that November and December interviews are preferred by the program.

One of my programs I could not squeeze into the months they offered - and I asked for and recieved permission to come a couple of weeks after the interview months this program initially offered. I am sure I will stand out - since my date to interview is just slightly after they say they close interviews.

i would think it depends on how many interviewees a program sees. in rad onc when they may only see 30 applicants all year, probably doesn't matter. for a big IM program who sees 200 applicants, maybe it does. but if aprogdirector says it doesn't matter... well, i don't doubt what he says because he's pretty much right 100% of the time.