Lateral vs supine resuscitation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canuck MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently having a discussion with one of the agencies in charge of training lifeguards in our area. For years, lifeguards have put patients in a lateral position when performing Artificial Respirtation on a near drowning patient. The agency was told by one of their advisors that lateral AR (out of hospital) is not as effective as supine resuscitation do to limitations of chest expansion. However, their reasoning for using the lateral position (as stated by the agency) is because of the high rate of vomitting following a near drowning experience. Could someone please provide accurate information in this regard (articles relating to lateral ventilation would be greatly appreciated)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a medline search and could find no evidence to support/refute the use of a lateral position for resuscitation in a near drowning victim.

There is no recommendation from the AHA to use a lateral position during BLS or ACLS, either.

The only time I can think of off the top of my head to use a lateral recumbent position is in a third trimester gravid female to improve venous return to the heart... it can have a dramatic improvement.

Q, DO

the only other time i did a lateral resuscitation was in a guy with a HUGE atrial myxoma that would create ventricular outflow tract obstruction (that's right: it was soo big it would slip through mitral valve and up to LVOT). We only got blood flow with right-side down w/ CPR :)