spme

7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2009
Status
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering when you think the latest "audition month" is.
I hear programs start ranking students in January and conduct last interviews toward the end of January.
Then when is the latest we can do our audition at the place you are trying to match into?
Would rotating through at the place early January be too late?

Ludicolo

Fib Hunter
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Conjunction Junction
Status
Attending Physician
Interviews usually run from early November through the first week of February. Dates will vary from program to program. Like applicants, programs can actually submit their ROLs starting January 15.

Technically yes, you can schedule an audition rotation for January, and you'll be fresh in that PDs mind. But the first two weeks of January is prime interview season, and chances are you’ll have to schedule several interviews during that time (remember, you’re interviewing at both PM&R and prelim programs). Taking days off to interview at other programs, during an audition where you're trying to make the best impression possible, is really bad form IMHO.

SportsMed09

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
To be honest, the latest month to do an audition rotation is August. You will invariably have someone who gets their letter in later than they said they would, and that can hold up some of your applications because a program needs ALL your letters/documents to be in before they look at you (it happened to me; very frustrating seeing interview slots fly away as you wait). If you do one in September, and a letter gets into your ERAS late October or November...that would really hurt you. Move this whole scale back one month, and you have breathing room. AUGUST!!!

axm397

SDN Moderator
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status
Attending Physician
some programs won't offer interviews until the dean's letters get in - which i think happens in november - so i would say october is the latest provided the letter writers can write fast!

DOctorJay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I agree with October being the latest for interview and LOR reasons as mentioned above.

OP
S

spme

7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2009
Status
Thank you very much for the reply.
Looks like I had everything too late.
My plan was to have auditions from Sep.-Dec. and do 3 four-week rotations.
But if I do this, now I know that I may have to ask for days off & may not give them enough time to write a letter in time for interviews.
Now, thats being said, should I just do 2 auditions for September & October and cancel my last one?
My stats are mediocre in everyway (2nd quantile in the class. Step 1 USMLE 202 and COMLEX 468. Step 2s pending) so I wanted to do as many auditions as possible.

Thanks for your time...:)

axm397

SDN Moderator
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status
Attending Physician
the november and december ones will still count at those institutions and if you are really liked - you may even ask your letter writers to make some phone calls for you which will count also.