latest, greatest autism-related woo-woo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Working in an autism clinic I feel like I generally stay relatively well-informed about the bizarre causal "theories" and purported "cures" that parents may find on the internet, but I just heard a new one - got off the phone with a parent who is giving her kid all the Fiji water she can get him to drink because the internet said "a bunch of doctors said the silica in the water helps suck out the aluminum" or suck out the autism or something. To which I really wanted to respond "so... Fiji sells sandy water?" especially since she hate's kids propensity for putting non-edible items including dirt into his mouth, but I refrained.

Anyway, I'm curious to know... what's the most bizarre ASD "cure" you've heard lately?

Members don't see this ad.

Working in an autism clinic I feel like I generally stay relatively well-informed about the bizarre causal "theories" and purported "cures" that parents may find on the internet, but I just heard a new one - got off the phone with a parent who is giving her kid all the Fiji water she can get him to drink because the internet said "a bunch of doctors said the silica in the water helps suck out the aluminum" or suck out the autism or something. To which I really wanted to respond "so... Fiji sells sandy water?" especially since she hate's kids propensity for putting non-edible items including dirt into his mouth, but I refrained.

Anyway, I'm curious to know... what's the most bizarre ASD "cure" you've heard lately?
Just heard it...'planned liquid silica pica.'

Reactions: 1 users
1) Super high doses of valtrex. Because autism is somehow caused by herpes.

2) balance beams also cure autism. Note: balance beams can vary in sophistication from PVC pipe to some high end shaking device that looks like one of those fat shaking 1950s exercise machines made love to a series of LED lights.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tangentially-related: I'm sure I'm a year or two behind on this, but I've noticed that "autist" is now being slung around as an insult (ala "don't be an autist"). Similar to how the precursor to "intellectual disability" was bastardized.

People truly are wonderful sometimes. Sigh.

Also, another vote for salt lamps. And of course CBD oil.

More of a new twist on all that old "chelation" woo. Kinda sad how these families are targeted.
Thankfully, we should never live to see a book published entitled, 'The Therapeutic Use of Alchemical Procedures in Developmental Disabilities: A Behaviorist's Practical Guide to 'The Philosopher's Stone''

What always confuses me is the distrust these people have in mainstream medicine due to its supposed greed, while simultaneously believing someone selling them an unproven product is doing so out of the goodness of their heart

Reactions: 1 user
What always confuses me is the distrust these people have in mainstream medicine due to its supposed greed, while simultaneously believing someone selling them an unproven product is doing so out of the goodness of their heart

Cognitive dissonance at it's finest. Same reason someone can think that there is a ton of monetary incentive for physicians to recommend vaccines, but being ok with paying some shady dude with a fake doctorate thousands of dollars to do "neuromodulation" and use qEEGs and neurofeedback. People want to be fooled.

Reactions: 1 user