Law question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistRx11

Reaction score
Hello, I am not sure why the answer is C, cause d make sense too.
which of the following can be dispensed without a prescription?
A. Lomotil
B. Pregabalin
C. 120 ml of guaifenesin 100 mg with codeine 10 mg per 5 ml
D. 120 ml of acetaminophen 120 mg with codeine 12 mg per 5 ml

please if you know why, let me know. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

A. Lomotil
B. Pregabalin

Look it up yourself. Here is a hint. What is the DEA schedule of each drug?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can give a small amount of C without needing a script, but it's on the DL and most pharmacists won't do it unless they know the patient.

Yes but for exam purpose, why c is correct and d is not although on the DEA website it says that we can dispense 4 ounces of any controlled substance

(Most?) codeine with guaifenesin presentations bear the OTC monograph as they are classified as OTC but are still Schedule V

So for section b, what do they mean by “any other such controlled substance” (120 ml), I’m kinda confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
"any other such controlled substance" => that "which is not a prescription drug as determined under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act [and that] may be dispensed by a pharmacist without a prescription to a purchaser at retail" + "not opium"

A. Lomotil
B. Pregabalin

E. Depends on the state

Reactions: 1 user
"any other such controlled substance" => that "which is not a prescription drug as determined under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act [and that] may be dispensed by a pharmacist without a prescription to a purchaser at retail" + "not opium"
So in case of cheratussin AC we would do maximum the 240 ml, right?

No, it's max 120 mL

Cheratussin is not opium, so it is any other such controlled substance that is not opium

Tylenol with codeine liquid is CIII CV [thanks for pointing out the error] and Rx only. Promethazine with codeine is CV and Rx only. Promethazine VC with codeine is CIII and Rx only

Last edited:
No, it's max 120 mL

Cheratussin is not opium, so it is any other such controlled substance that is not opium

Tylenol with codeine liquid is CIII and Rx only. Promethazine with codeine is CV and Rx only. Promethazine VC with codeine is CIII and Rx only
But cheratussin AC has codeine in it which is and opium.

No, it's max 120 mL

Tylenol with codeine liquid is CIII and Rx only. Promethazine with codeine is CV and Rx only. Promethazine VC with codeine is CIII and Rx only
I believe Tylenol w/ codeine tabs and liquid are different schedules. You may want to double check your facts there.

A B and D are all classified as Rx only (all CV) so by basic exam-taking skills (process of elimination) that leaves C.