"Lawsuit: CVS Pharmacy refused to fill Riverview woman’s opioid prescription"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a garbage suit that will go nowhere.

I'll be watching, popcorn in hand, either way.

It takes a lot for me to refuse an Rx. It has to either be egregious clinically or potentially a forgery. At the same time, though, we all know there are those pharmacists that are dicks about narcs half the time just because they feel like it. I wonder which one it is this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I get an Oxy 30 non-electronic prescription from patient who has no history with us, it gets denied.

I ain’t gonna waste a single second verifying it when I know I won’t fill it.

I'll be watching, popcorn in hand, either way.

It takes a lot for me to refuse an Rx. It has to either be egregious clinically or potentially a forgery. At the same time, though, we all know there are those pharmacists that are dicks about narcs half the time just because they feel like it. I wonder which one it is this time.

That’s an interesting philosophy. I wonder how many controls you would fill in a day if you worked in Fl and used that criteria. I bet it’s over 500/day in under 3 months.

LOL it is impossible now to abuse opioid medications because pharmacies are linked with doctors.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
That’s an interesting philosophy. I wonder how many controls you would fill in a day if you worked in Fl and used that criteria. I bet it’s over 500/day in under 3 months.

I just follow corporate and clinical guidelines. The standard is less than 90 MME. If it's less than that and everything checks out, I fill it. If it's more, I get documentation from the MD. If that checks out, I fill it.

I just follow corporate and clinical guidelines. The standard is less than 90 MME. If it's less than that and everything checks out, I fill it. If it's more, I get documentation from the MD. If that checks out, I fill it.

Corporate guideline when I worked at CVS was something like “pharmacy, patient, and prescriber should all be in the same city” among many other factors besides just 90 MME.

Although CVS would oscillate between sending out reminders about the need to be vigilant about corresponding responsibility in one email and the need to make sure we are taking care of patients and not creating barriers to care in another, so you could argue either way imo. CVS was the master at speaking out of both sides of the mouth.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been denied a hard-copy prescription for oxycodone for postpartum pain due to 48 hours of labor followed by an emergency c-section. It was a Sunday evening, so the hospital's outpatient pharmacy was closed. There was only 1 pharmacy in the city still open at 7pm. The prescription included both ibuprofen and iron as well.

I was denied because it was on "backorder". The fact they wouldn't even accept the prescription to fill the non-controls was he writing on the wall that it was a blatant lie.

I may not have worked retail in awhile, but I lost all my respect for gate-keeping pharmacists that day.

Reactions: 1 users

don't you work overnight? so when you say get documentation you mean you leave it for the daytime pharmacist lol

Reactions: 3 users
South florida was and still is a different ball game. Been thru opioid pandemic here from 2012-2014. There were no guidelines from anyone and it was just all out craziness what we dealt in pharmacy. Now pendulum has swung to the other side. Pharmacist just deny left and right. I caught neighboring store pharmacist lying who filled keflex and didn't fill ER percocet. I could see they had it in stock too.

But it is still difficult job when it comes to chronic pain. We have our regulars patients. Now If I see someone fill all scripts at neighboring pharmacy but brings their chronic pain meds to me, I would direct them back to their original pharmacy and tell them to have that pharmacist order it for them. At end of the day I do have limits and get remainders from corporate when I reach it for month. If I start entertaining every one from town then I will pop up on whatever invisible radar DEA uses.

It’s impossible for anyone to abuse medications........ What freaking planet am I living in??? I’m starting to wonder if I have been dreaming for the past 20 years.. Am I - right now - In some sort of coma??

Yeah I had a good friend of mine make a similar comment about how a doctor would never write a script if the patient didn’t need it. I was flabbergasted. How do people think the opioid crisis came to be?

I think it’s easy for us to forget the laypersons point of view. Can you imagine a time when you thought Doctors were perfect?

Now pendulum has swung to the other side. Pharmacist just deny left and right. I caught neighboring store pharmacist lying who filled keflex and didn't fill ER percocet. I could see they had it in stock too.

The ones around me lie about it all the time. We have a PDMP for Christ's sake. Look them up. If they aren't on it every 14 days from various EDs, it's probably fine. They flip out over a script for #12 Percocet. Who cares

I wonder why any lawyer would even take this case.. Don’t most states have a pharmacist right to use discretion? On that basis there is no case to go on.

So the patient suing has been trying to find a regular pharmacy to fill her CII's since 2016? I know some pharmacists are overly caution, but I strongly suspect there is more to the story about why no pharmacy wanted to fill her prescriptions. And why she says that the pharmacy wouldn't fill her prescription, did she really mean they wouldn't fill her prescription until the next week when it was due?

So the patient suing has been trying to find a regular pharmacy to fill her CII's since 2016? I know some pharmacists are overly caution, but I strongly suspect there is more to the story about why no pharmacy wanted to fill her prescriptions. And why she says that the pharmacy wouldn't fill her prescription, did she really mean they wouldn't fill her prescription until the next week when it was due?
That information should come out in the case

Why is she only suing CVS? Didn't other pharmacies deny her too? Or is CVS the only one not using the "we don't have it" excuse?