Lay it to me straight...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChangeOfPace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
35O - 14 Phys, 9 Verbal, 12 Bio

First Question:
Would my relatively low verbal and essay scores be a red flag when applying to a top-3 University? Obviously they are not helping anything, but I am a non-traditional applicant and just want to know if they will trash my app because of them. Assuming that I have great essays, great experiences, and bring an interesting and relatively unique perspective on healthcare to the table. Do I have any shot at an interview?

...I hadn't gotten anything but a 12 in verbal on a practice test since my very first one, so I was pretty disappointed. That said, I don't think I ever got a 14 on a practice test in any category.

Second question:
I took that test in August 2010, is it still valid if I try to apply for 2014 entry? What if I get my application in before this August? I'm not exactly eager to study and take it again, but I'll do what I have to do.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not an automatic screen-out, if that's what you're asking.
(Not sure what you mean by "top 3" - other than Harvard, ranks change every year.)

Check with individual schools for validity. For example, Perelman says:
All applicants for admission in the fall of 2013 are required to have taken the MCAT examination administered between January 2009 and September 2012.
So you would be okay (2014 entry would need an MCAT score from 2010+).

while Johns Hopkins says:
The oldest MCAT considered will be four years prior to date of matriculation.
So to matriculate in mid-August 2014 you would need an MCAT score from that date in 2010 or later (so your score might or might not be valid depending on your exact test date).

I have come to learn that Georgetown sends an automatic rejection to anyone with <10 in any subset, so automatic rejections like these can happen, especially since your score isn't "balanced". I would suggest doing thorough research on the schools you apply to so that you aren't throwing away any money like I did with Georgetown, for example. Best of luck to you, congratulations on your 35!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, thanks for the very informative replies. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Edit: I just called HMS admissions, my score would be valid for this application cycle...

Last edited:
I have come to learn that Georgetown sends an automatic rejection to anyone with <10 in any subset, so automatic rejections like these can happen, especially since your score isn't "balanced". I would suggest doing thorough research on the schools you apply to so that you aren't throwing away any money like I did with Georgetown, for example. Best of luck to you, congratulations on your 35!

This cannot be true.

Since Gtowns average acceptance is 31.9 (and average Verbal is 9.8), than this is not true.