MD & DO give it to me straight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rexy222

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am a first semester junior at a really good university. My freshman year first semester I was stupid and took calc 3 when I couldnt handle it and got an F. Since then I have not received below a B in any premed class and one B- in a class for my major. I am doing well on the MCAT practice tests and am applying to be a scribe at the ER.
I have a 3.24 gpa and work at a research lab. I can get my GPA up to a 3.4.
CAN I STILL GET INTO MED SCHOOL?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Make sure your ECs are strong. Do you have any nonclinical volunteering? Leadership? Shadowing? What is "well" on the MCAT? If you keep your GPA on the upward trend (3.7+), score decent on the MCAT say a 507+, make sure your ECs are strong, I believe you will have a good chance at DO schools.

Last edited:
Hi!
I am a first semester junior at a really good university. My freshman year first semester I was stupid and took calc 3 when I couldnt handle it and got an F. Since then I have not received below a B in any premed class and one B- in a class for my major. I am doing well on the MCAT practice tests and am applying to be a scribe at the ER.
I have a 3.24 gpa and work at a research lab. I can get my GPA up to a 3.4.
CAN I STILL GET INTO MED SCHOOL?
If you complete your senior year before applying to med school and get a 3.7 or better for the next three terms, what will final application GPA rise to? What is your GPA for all science and math classes without other gen ed courses included (including the F)? What is it without the math?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you complete your senior year before applying to med school and get a 3.7 or better for the next three terms, what will final application GPA rise to? What is your GPA for all science and math classes without other gen ed courses included (including the F)? What is it without the math?
it will be a 3.45 and my science gpa is about a 3.6 without the math. I did not need calc 3 for my major it was a class i took for fun

it will be a 3.45 and my science gpa is about a 3.6 without the math. I did not need calc 3 for my major it was a class i took for fun
I agree that you would be a viable candidate for DO med schools. For MD you'd likely need to do some additional GPA repair, get a very-strong MCAT score, or represent a rare demographic (like ex-military). DO schools do not calculate math into their science GPA the way MD schools do for their BCPM GPA.